Boring Routine

Options
How do you stay on track and motivated?

Replies

• Leana088
    Leana088 Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    Your title.

My diet becomes part of my routine. No motivation needed if you have good habits.

I stick to my diet in the same way I take a shower every morning. :smile:
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    not sure what you mean. i do what i have to do, to get the results i want. my routine varies from day to day, but i workout every day (sometimes morning, sometimes afternoon), weigh food every day, figure out what im eating and how to make it work with my calorie goals for the day.

its just.... routine. it is what it is.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    When you want it bad enough, you just do it.
  • suruda
    suruda Posts: 1,233 Member
    Options
    Most of the time it is boring...."what's for lunch"? "Apple and Chicken"...every day! But the scale keeps moving so it's worth it! AND I do have some food things that I look forward to...If I'm home my apple and chicken turns into a salad...much more delicious! Work a few low calorie food treats into your plan....splurge on an expensive fruit or veggie as a reward!
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    suruda wrote: »
    Most of the time it is boring...."what's for lunch"? "Apple and Chicken"...every day! But the scale keeps moving so it's worth it! AND I do have some food things that I look forward to...If I'm home my apple and chicken turns into a salad...much more delicious! Work a few low calorie food treats into your plan....splurge on an expensive fruit or veggie as a reward!

i could not eat the same thing every day LOLOLOL
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    suruda wrote: »

Splurge on a fruit or veggie?? Yeah.. no.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,622 Member
    Options
    Most people get bored when they are underachieving from true potential.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • LovingLife_Erin
    LovingLife_Erin Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I mix things up a lot... food and exercise. I don't do the same routine everyday, and even when I do the same types of workout (like swimming), I mix it up with the details (ie: do different strokes, or focus on arms/legs). If I go to the gym, I use different machines each time, and if it's a nice day, I'll go for a long walk instead! If you're bored, or stuck in a routine, just change it up.
  • MeiannaLee
    MeiannaLee Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    randomtai wrote: »

I agree 100%.
    The thing about becoming healthy and starting a weightloss journey, you have to want it more than anything else in the world.
    Motivation? I dont even know what motivates me other than my will and my need to become healthy.
  • Ellaskat
    Ellaskat Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    easy - Ive only made changes that i'm cool with doing the rest of my life. no motivation needed to do things i want to do. i don't see this as a diet - on a diet i wouldnt eat what i wanted, how i wanted, which for me, would result in failure.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    randomtai wrote: »
    This!
  • fellowtraveler87
    fellowtraveler87 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    The problem is the *boring* part. I love my routine because as long as I follow it I don't have to worry about anything and staying on track is pretty easy. Disruptions to my routine really bug me.

Would you care to elaborate on your boring routine and maybe we can offer some suggestions to make it more interesting?

Without any additional information, the first few weeks are difficult regardless. If you stick with it the healthy changes will become routine and almost automatic. Just keep reminding yourself "this is what I must endure to accomplish what I want to achieve" and embrace it. Good luck!
  • bainsworth1a
    bainsworth1a Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    deefro wrote: »
    How do you stay on track and motivated?

I logon to MFP every day and see success stories. AND I have finally gotten to the point where I really really want this.
    Do I sometimes slip and eat over my goal calories? YES but I keep coming back.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,714 Member
    Options
    The problem is the *boring* part. I love my routine because as long as I follow it I don't have to worry about anything and staying on track is pretty easy. Disruptions to my routine really bug me.

Would you care to elaborate on your boring routine and maybe we can offer some suggestions to make it more interesting?

Without any additional information, the first few weeks are difficult regardless. If you stick with it the healthy changes will become routine and almost automatic. Just keep reminding yourself "this is what I must endure to accomplish what I want to achieve" and embrace it. Good luck!

I agree with this: give us more details and we can be more helpful.

Also, change your mind that routine does NOT equal boredom, but routine equals easy. Kind of like a "set it and forget it" mindset. Sure, you don't want to eat the same foods every day and you certainly don't want to settle into the same workout routine because there will be no results, but routinely living a healthier lifestyle is by no means negative.
  • Smallc10
    Smallc10 Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    I write out my workout schedule for the week on Sunday (my rest day) and make a grocery list thinking about the upcoming week so that I know I will have healthy options to eat and I won't be tempted to go out.

Usual schedule - monday lift day, Tuesday cardio and yoga, Wednesday lift day, Thursday cardio, Friday lift day, saturday cardio and Sunday rest/yoga if I want to. Then repeat! I change it up if I need to and sometimes take extra rest days but once I write a schedule i stick with it! It's a commitment to myself.
  • PurdueGuy2001
    PurdueGuy2001 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I have a variety of different foods, portioned out, and some frozen. Then I can just reheat them. I've found that I used to just eat whatever was on the plate. If I have less food, I stop when my plate is empty, and I'm actually full.
    When going out, I'll often get a to-go box immediately and put some away.