Did anyone here lose weight on 1200cals and managed not to put the weight back on when maintaining?

Options
People are saying 1200cals is too low and when you start maintaining the weight will pile back on,is this true?

Replies

• erialcelyob
    erialcelyob Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    For me, I ate at 1200cals, lost 30lbs and haven't put any back on, just fluctuate between the odd pound or two
  • rigglemanamanda
    Options
    I sure did, I have maintained now since August 2013, not saying i don't have slip ups but mostly my healthy eating is now a habit,
  • machelle04
    machelle04 Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    I've been on a 1200 cal diet since 2010. I fluctuate in the winter when I can't run but only by 3-5 pounds.
  • JeanCricket
    JeanCricket Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Yep! Lost my goal 10 pounds on 1200 cals a day and have been maintaining in goal range for 6 months :) I've actually increased calories over MFP recommended maintenance by about 100 cals/day because I continued losing for a few months while trying to figure out my ideal maintenance calories. Good Luck!

• PinkyPan1
    PinkyPan1 Posts: 3,018 Member
    Options
    I lost 22 lbs on 1200 calories and I have been maintaining at 1300-1400 net calories for over 7 months.
  • r5d5
    r5d5 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    If you slowly increase your calories, by about 50 to 100 a day per week, you shouldnt have a huge gain. So instead of 1200 a day, eat 1250 a day for a week, then 1300 ect...
    Even if you do have a weight gain "jump" it should balance out eventually by eating at your maintenance calories.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    00mid wrote: »
    People are saying 1200cals is too low and when you start maintaining the weight will pile back on,is this true?

I did 1200 cals for 3 months, lost 18lbs, job done... Didn't regain, but then realised that actually I can eat a lot more and still lose, just more slowly, which is much more fun!
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    00mid wrote: »

I did 1200 cals for 3 months, lost 18lbs, job done... Didn't regain, but then realised that actually I can eat a lot more and still lose, just more slowly, which is much more fun!

This! but add a step 3 where I plateaued for a long time because I was eating too much of my exercise calories back and not weighing/measuring food. Now I'm back at 1200 + exercise calories because I am lazy about weighing and measuring. Makes me exercise every day so I don't starve. lol
  • Dragn77
    Dragn77 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Im planning to take a diet break and eat at maintenance for two weeks once Im halfway to my goal. I fully expect to gain some weight while my body balances out from the additional calories, but if my numbers are correct, I should not pile all the pounds back on.

I wont be over eating, just slowly adding on calories until Im eating at the proper amount for my body...which is not what I was doing for the weight to pile on to begin with.
  • brynnsmom
    brynnsmom Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    I didn't regain anything after following a 1200 calorie diet (or, admittedly, sometimes less) to lose weight. I'm still amazed at how many calories I can get away with now, and I'm very petite.
  • hilbertgirl
    Options
    gradual reverse dieting is crucial
  • Kildary1
    Kildary1 Posts: 1
    Options
    I do the 1200 thing too; find the calories easy but also measure fat, sat fat, protein, carbs and sugar. Very difficult to get the 'perfect' day. Usually something has to give and it's fat or carbs. I do eat over the 1200 if I exercise as I eat my exercise reward. Maybe shouldn't but I'm doing this more for control as I am 45 rather than for massive weight loss; that said, 3 - 5 lbs would be great though .....
  • kamakazeekim
    kamakazeekim Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    I lost weight on 1200 calories but when I have tried to bump up to 1400 or 1500 I gain weight.
  • redqueen75470
    redqueen75470 Posts: 1 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I have been on 1200 2 years this May. Doing fine, 1-3 pounds up or down on a given week.

I have lost 55 lbs
  • scaryg53
    scaryg53 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    For me, I ate at 1200cals, lost 30lbs and haven't put any back on, just fluctuate between the odd pound or two
    Same here, I'm up and down the same two pounds. Get to maintenance gradually over a few weeks.
  • zoomtech16
    zoomtech16 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Bleh I like food and that is too low for me. 1500 is a real chore in itself. I tried 1200 a while back, and it made me feel physically ill, but if you're not hungry then it's fine. This post is making me hungry!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Most people pile the weight back on...like 95% of dieters...it has nothing to do with your calorie goals.

Also, when people go to maintenance they are going to gain a little weight...because they are eating more so obviously they're going to have more waste in their system...and also more fluids retained and glycogen...unfortunately, many people think this is fat or something so they immediately drop calories back down. People really need to do more research on how body weight works...maybe then people wouldn't freak out so much...it's sad really.

1200 calories isn't maintenance for anyone other than a short 90 year old woman.
  • pjs2780
    pjs2780 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    50 pounds down on 1200/day. Now on maintenance calories but have also significantly changed my workouts/fitness goals so I have yet to find my "final" weight. I added back slowly -- 100/week. I found that when I went straight to maintenance, I did gain weight -- probably water but it was enough to scare me into going up more slowly.
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    I lost 30 pounds while on a 1200 calorie diet. That was 3 years ago and I haven't put one pound of that back on. Now I'm eating about 1600 to 1800 calories a day depending on my activity level.
  • srslybritt
    srslybritt Posts: 1,618 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    OP, if you provided us with your height/weight, it would be easier to address your question. The short of it is that yes, you should be able to lose weight and with gradual reverse dieting be able to return to maintenance without putting on an insane amount of weight.

The truth is, though, 1200 calories is often too low for most people. My suggestion is to find out what your TDEE (total daily expenditure) and BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate) are by using the tool below.

http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/

ETA: I am 5'10 and my daily goal is 1700 or so. I use a fitbit, which adds calories over and above that for me based on my movements throughout the day, so I don't follow IIFYM to the letter, but as long as you're meeting your calorie goals, staying in a safe deficit range, and meeting your main macros (carbs/fat/protein - MFP has suggestions for ratios), you should be fine. :)