Starving After Workouts

Options
mrswong09
mrswong09 Posts: 9
edited March 2015 in Getting Started
Hello There,

So I have been working out every day for the past week (workout given by trainer) I have been burning 550-800 calories and find myself starving after and usually binging and going over calories by up to 300. Any one have tips to curve the hunger or how to eat after a workout.

Thanks in Advance

Replies

• Pipsg1rl
    Pipsg1rl Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    Are you having a small snack prior to your workout? A banana and some nuts or something ?
  • mrswong09
    Options
    Yes, we usually go to gym after dinner when my husband gets off work.
  • doingItIn2012
    doingItIn2012 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Are you eating something before your workouts to fuel them? Maybe an hour before.
  • futuremanda
    futuremanda Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    You may have to plan to have more calories available to you for after the gym. Trim a little off each meal or move a snack to the evening from another time slot.

If you can stomach it, a big protein shake or smoothie (that fits within your calories) might do it, since it would be a lot of volume, and protein.

Pre-plan for a post-gym snack so it fits into your day. Eat it, and only it, and then wait 15-45 minutes. Sometimes we think we need to eat everything in the kitchen, but we don't. Hunger comes in waves and satiety signals are not instant.

And make sure you're adequately hydrated! If you can't drink a lot during or right after your workout (I can't), make sure you're getting plenty throughout the day, and resume drinking more water as soon as you can post-workout.

Finally, if you're set to lose 2 lbs a week, you could always drop that to 1.5 lbs. It would give you more calories, which you could use post-gym. And then maybe in time, when you're more used to your calorie goal and your gym routine, you can try 2 again. It might just be an adjustment period. (Or if you are at 1.5, drop to 1, etc.)
  • MrNundy
    MrNundy Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Ive just got back from the gym, I eat normally couple of hours before (dinner), then go gym and come home and drink water. Yes I am hungry now, but while it doesn't hurt me I just go to sleep and get round to breakfast before i know it. The only time I'm not hungry after was previously when i drank protein shakes after a workout, because the milk will fill me up a little, but i have not done that for a long time now due to not fitting in with my training scheme.
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Some days I feel like I'm starving too. I would recommend having a high protein snack - 100-200 calories, drinking some water, and then waiting 20-30 minutes to see if you're still hungry. If yes, then go ahead and have something else, trying to stay within your calorie limits as best you can.

I usually make a smoothie - banana, vanilla greek yogurt, milk, dry milk powder and a scoop of protein powder. That usually does the trick. If it doesn't, I go for meat, cheese & crackers too :)

~Lyssa
  • mrswong09
    Options
    thanks for all the great info!! :smile:
  • LauraJaneCast
    Options
    I tend to have a banana and a protein shake for recovery after work-out.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    It's highly unlikely that you are burning 550-800 calories per workout.
  • louiecherone862
    louiecherone862 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Why is it ?^^^ 1 he and half in gym cardio easy peasy go to gym to work out not look in mirror ! I will do that later when I reach my goal
  • nastyness683
    Options
    It is very important to eat after your workout to fuel your muscles and give them the proper nutrients to recover.

I definitely would eat a light snack 30 min to 1 hr prior to going to the gym. Then eat a nice post workout meal to include carbs n protein. DO NOT BE AFRAID OF CARBS. They will assist you in fat loss and recovery. The important thing is to meet your calorie intake daily to include all your macronutrients like protein carbs and fat.

Hope this helps a little. Good luck.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Why is it ?^^^ 1 he and half in gym cardio easy peasy go to gym to work out not look in mirror ! I will do that later when I reach my goal

1.5 hrs of cardio is counterproductive to say the least. And you also don't know that OP is doing straight cardio.

Who said anything about looking in the mirror…… lol?
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    So you eat dinner...go to the gym assuming you are burning 500-800 calories, and then come home and eat another 800-1000 calories?
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,829 Member
    Options
    I'm always starved after a good workout, so I plan my workouts to be right before a major meal (lunch or dinner). I plan that meal to be the biggest of my day.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    550 to 800 calorie burn every day? And really working out every day (this hard) with no rest period?

What types of workouts (intensity, lifting,etc..) and
    How is the calorie burn being tracked and
    Is the overall calories eaten at the end of these workouts days really 300 calories or over? Even if so, there is still a deficit even if eating back some of the calories burned. :):):)

I am curious what type of workout this is by a trainer and setup to burn up to 800 calories EVERY day..

• lastusernameever
    lastusernameever Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Argh, I feel your pain - I am always starving after working out... last night I ate a chip (crisps) sandwich LOL! It was super good... but bad LOL! Try and down a few glasses of water and wait it out.

Also where possible I try not to "eat back" my exercise calories (as per my trainers instructions) and if I do I only ever allocate myself half of what MFP etc tells me because I reckon they WAY overestimate the calories burned imo.
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,829 Member
    Options
    I eat back every single calorie MFP allows, and I've still averaged a half pound loss per week (as targeted).
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    mrswong09 wrote: »
    Hello There,

So I have been working out every day for the past week (workout given by trainer) I have been burning 550-800 calories and find myself starving after and usually binging and going over calories by up to 300. Any one have tips to curve the hunger or how to eat after a workout.

Thanks in Advance

Learn some self control? sounds rude but seriously that's what you need to do.
  • mrswong09
    Options
    ok , so I am going to try to answer questions.

1. FatFreeFrolicking, and Gia07- I do 20 -30 min in weight room doing a circuit, and 45 min of Elliptical trainer on the cross country workout, and according to the machine and MFP that burns about 500 calories, and the weight room according to MFP is about 150 cal. I do the cardio 5 days a week and the weights 3 days. I did 2 workouts where I did 1 hour of weights and 45 min in the weight room doing an intense circuit and burned 792 calories according to MFP.
    2. For everyone else I think I would come home and not each a huge amount but high caloric food.
    3. Thank You for everyones input!
    4. It is much more valuable to look for strength in others, you can gain nothing by criticizing their imperfections - Daisaku Ikeda
    5. Good luck to all of you on your journey!!