Activity Trackers

Options
kim678
kim678 Posts: 31 Member
Do any of you use activity trackers? Like the FitBit or anything? I'm thinking about getting one so I'll have a better idea about how many calories I'm actually burning, etc. If you're using one, which did you choose and are you happy with it?

Replies

• shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    For me, I personally like Fitbit. I've had the Zip and Flex models. I currently have a Surge. I also tried the Garmin VivoFit and while I loved the device itself, the software that went with it was a PITA. I hated the software so much that I got rid of it after 53 days and went back to Fitbit.

edit: And my husband loves his Fitbit One.
  • _QueenE_
    _QueenE_ Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I love my Fitbit One. :) It clips onto my waistband and can't be seen.
  • sdado1013
    sdado1013 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I love my Fitbit Charge HR! its awesome
  • janiceclark08
    janiceclark08 Posts: 1,341 Member
    Options
    About how much is the fitbit charge?
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Options
    @janiceclark08‌ - thanks for asking this question! I'm considering getting one also. I've been looking at the Fitbit Charge HR on Amazon and it's about $150. It's gotten good reviews online. That being said, a friend of mine on MFP told me she really likes the Garmin Vivofit better than Fitbit because you can wear it swimming (not so with Fitbit) and it syncs wirelessly. More research needed, so I'll be checking back on this discussion.
  • AllTheNoms
    AllTheNoms Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I just got a Fitbit Surge and it has been a game-changer for me. I absolutely love it and am already wondering what I did without it.
  • AllTheNoms
    AllTheNoms Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    RaeBeeBaby wrote: »
    @janiceclark08‌ - thanks for asking this question! I'm considering getting one also. I've been looking at the Fitbit Charge HR on Amazon and it's about $150. It's gotten good reviews online. That being said, a friend of mine on MFP told me she really likes the Garmin Vivofit better than Fitbit because you can wear it swimming (not so with Fitbit) and it syncs wirelessly. More research needed, so I'll be checking back on this discussion.

FYI - not sure about the other Fitbit models, but the Surge syncs wirelessly. Not made for dunking, though.
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    I have a Fitbit Flex and I really like it! I've had it for about 2 months now. It's been pretty accurate over time with regard to how much I burn vs. how much I should eat. You definitely want to make sure you figure out your stride length if the Fitbit doesn't seem to be accurate for you. Once I manually entered my stride length, it's been spot on 90% of the time!

I use the app on my phone to sync the data more than I use the dongle on my computer. Just more convenient :) I went with the Flex because I'm not always wearing pants with decent pockets and I'm constantly taking my lip gloss/keys out of my pocket anyway. I'm sure I would have lost a Zip or One by now :(

I've heard good things about the Surge but some people have had issues with the band causing a rash of sorts on their skin. Just something to watch out for.

~Lyssa
  • kim678
    kim678 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Thank you all! Hoping I can get something soon!
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    I have the fitbit charge. Love the Charge BUT the display button (that turns on the display) fell off after 1 month and had to get a replacement. There are tons of Fitbit charge owners that has this happen.. It is a mfg or design flaw...

But I do love what it does and I did get replacement. I want to get one with a HR (probably won't go with Fitbit)...
  • 1bellringer1
    1bellringer1 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I just got the Fitbit Zip and love it. First week I had it, I couldn't get over 5000 steps to save my life. The 2nd week, I came up with a plan. I have a desk job and instead of walking across the hall to use the restroom, I find myself going to the other end of the building, down a flight of stairs and to the first floor. Went from about 50 steps a day for 3 trips to the bathroom to over a thousand. Instead of parking in my parking lot and walking 50 feet to the door of my office, I've been parking down the street in a hospital parking lot and hoofing it 2 blocks. That routine and 30 minutes on the treadmill gives me about 11000 steps. Small changes but big difference. It has gotten me really motivated to keep moving.
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    I've got the Garmin Vivofit 2 with a HRM strap. It's my first wrist tracker so I don't know any better when it comes to the fitbit software (although I have the option of using fitbits site if I want to try it. It's not as smooth an interface as if I had an actual fitbit I guess but I haven't tried it.)

I picked the Vivofit 2 because I can shower or swim with it, I can use the HRM strap for a more accurate idea of what I'm burning during a workout and it has a "move bar" that starts showing up if I've been sitting too long. That part is factory set to have an audible alert but I turned that off before I even put it on because I don't need it beeping at me all day.

• shonnatelam233
    Options
    I have a FITBIT One and am pretty pleased with it. One advantage it has over the wrist trackers is that you can clip it to your hip when doing stationary machine exercises and still get an accurate step and calorie burn count. Also, I rarely clip it to my pocket or waist for daily tracking. I clip it to the center of my bra!
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    MFP has a Fitbit Users group: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1290-fitbit-users

I love my Flex—I only take it off to charge. I lost the weight & have maintained for 8 months, so my Fitbit burn = TDEE.