Did anyone here lose weight on 1200cals and managed not to put the weight back on when maintaining?

Options

Replies

• SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    1200 was fine for my loss. I've been on maintenance for over 2 years by upping to 1400, which is fine for my small size.
  • daniebanks
    daniebanks Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    MFP just adjusted my calories to 1200 but that would be way too low, I would be starving myself. Currently doing 1350cals a day and losing weight at the same time, will bump up to 1450 when i reach goal weight
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    Dragn77 wrote: »
    Im planning to take a diet break and eat at maintenance for two weeks once Im halfway to my goal. I fully expect to gain some weight while my body balances out from the additional calories, but if my numbers are correct, I should not pile all the pounds back on.

I wont be over eating, just slowly adding on calories until Im eating at the proper amount for my body...which is not what I was doing for the weight to pile on to begin with.

once i hit my first goal (20 to go!) I'll probably take a week or two maintenance (or slightly below) break
  • Dragn77
    Dragn77 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Im planning to take a diet break and eat at maintenance for two weeks once Im halfway to my goal. I fully expect to gain some weight while my body balances out from the additional calories, but if my numbers are correct, I should not pile all the pounds back on.

I wont be over eating, just slowly adding on calories until Im eating at the proper amount for my body...which is not what I was doing for the weight to pile on to begin with.

once i hit my first goal (20 to go!) I'll probably take a week or two maintenance (or slightly below) break

Awesome!!! Lets see who gets to diet break stage first...the other can feel the fear (or joyful anticipation..but Im leaning towards fear) of what the other is going through LoL!
  • noteve
    noteve Posts: 57
    Options
    Yes, it's very easy. Calculate approximately how much your body burns a day (there's plenty of calculators online). Eat that amount a day.
  • paulawatkins1974
    paulawatkins1974 Posts: 720 Member
    Options

Awesome!!! Lets see who gets to diet break stage first...the other can feel the fear (or joyful anticipation..but Im leaning towards fear) of what the other is going through LoL!

I did a diet break during Christmas, and had a horrible time getting back on track! I guess I enjoyed eating a little more way too much!
  • Phoenix_ikki
    Phoenix_ikki Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've been eating about 1200 to 1400 hundred calories for over a year and have lost about 10 lbs I think. I tend to keep it off. I was up to 168 about 8 years ago, but began steadily but slowly losing it after I was no longer working 2 jobs and was able to cook for myself. After joining MyFitnessPal and actively counting calories I lost roughly 10 lbs in a faster amount of time and I have not gained it back. I am right now fluctuating between 135 to 137, but never over 137. It has taken longer than I expected, but the weight loss IS happening.
  • Debbie_Ferr
    Debbie_Ferr Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    I've maintained since summer 2013, ie 2 years.
    I'm 5' 2" . Lost 21 pounds.
    Since then, I haven't logged food nor log exercise.

What works for me:

1- I sign onto MFP everyday (haven't missed a day in 185 days!!). Read / particpate in discussions & I keep my health as a priority.

2- I weight myself 2 X per week, to keep myself in check.
    (becuase I don't want ignorance to be bliss, where the pounds can creep up on me)

and it's been working for me :blush::blush:

• Debbie_Ferr
    Debbie_Ferr Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    ops, forgot to mention. I don't log/calc my food calories.
    Based on my 2013 stick logging, I can now guestimating I'm consume 1400 per day.

Haven't gained since 2013, and have been weighing myself 2x per week to keep my reality really a reality :):)
  • paradi3s
    paradi3s Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Ate 1200 calories for 3-4 months, reversed dieted (added 100 cals per day every week) and never gained weight. Actually lost some.
  • Dragn77
    Dragn77 Posts: 810 Member
    Options

I did a diet break during Christmas, and had a horrible time getting back on track! I guess I enjoyed eating a little more way too much!

See...that is something that concerns me! But...I will try. I think better to take a break and maintain for awhile before continuing on, than reaching goal and only then for the first time try to move to maintenance. I kinda feel like, I will have a better go at it if Ive gone through it beforehand.
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    Options
    I did not put it back on. I got stuck for a bit but now I am losing again...but I did not re gain the weight I lost.
  • triciab79
    triciab79 Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    Lost about 50 of the 100lbs on 1200 or less and I have kept it off for 2 1/2 years. The people who say it cannot be done are just using generalizations because they couldn't handle it.
  • Jubee13
    Jubee13 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I have done it several times and maintained for awhile, but I always think I can stop logging, then I start gaining! I am one pound from goal now and I've started gradually adding. This week I've tried to average 1,300 a day. Some days I eat fewer, some days more, but I average 1,200 and now 1,300. I'm sure I'll end up eating quite a bit more to maintain.
  • sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    I tried it and it was not nearly enough food for me. I'm pretty active and tall and I was starving on 1200. It was not sustainable for me.
  • farmergirl1974
    Options
    Lost 80 pounds on 1200 calories per day. Been maintaining since last July on 1690 or so. I only fluctuate a pound or two.
  • NikonPal
    NikonPal Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    So far so good – I also ate in the same calorie range. I weigh daily but only RECORD 1 @ week. I only fluctuate about 1-2 lbs.

73641431.png
  • Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    Yep. I did that and lost 90 total pounds...80 with MFP. I adjusted to 1400ish but I still workout every day.
  • 64mustangsue
    64mustangsue Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Yep lost 40 lbs and kept it off for 3 years now. Lost the weight on WW but after maintaining here the points I was using translate to 1200 or less.
  • jhellwig828
    jhellwig828 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I lost close to 50 pounds eating 1200 calories. I hit maintenance a year ago and since then I have fluctuated about 3-4 above my "goal weight", but only about a pound over my goal range. I'm perfectly happy with that! I'm eating waaaaay more calories and enjoying life a lot more too :smile: