Parsnips & Butternut Squash - good or not for losing weight?

Options
I can't seem to figure out whether or not parsnips and butternut squash are a good way of losing weight? They're low in calories but very high in carbs! For example 2 large parsnips (about 260grams) is equal to about 220 calories... But its about 49grams of carbs!!! So what's the science behind this? I don't know whether or not I should be keeping away from these kind of vegetables or not but I love them!

Replies

• lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    Eat them in moderation.
    You don't have to eat 260g parsnip but say 112g (4oz) instead.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    I can personally testify that it is quite possible to eat both these foods and lose weight.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I adore both, and eat both regularly.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I eat them all the time, but I was surprised at how high the parsnips were in calories (the squash seems pretty low to me). I like them, and for me they sub for a potato or some other starchy carb, so neither the calories (lower by comparison) or carbs are an issue.

I don't worry about carbs, though.

Unless you really want to be on a low carb diet I don't see why they would be harmful, as they are filling and nutrient dense; just count the calories, of course.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,578 Member
    Options
    Eat them...log them. Enjoy. Don't go over your calories for the day that's all.
  • brynnsmom
    brynnsmom Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    wizzybeth wrote: »
    Eat them...log them. Enjoy. Don't go over your calories for the day that's all.

Exactly. I love both but especially the parsnips (up until a year ago I had never tried one, now we make them frequently). I just make sure I weigh them on my food scale.
  • lilred_gld
    lilred_gld Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Love them both and actually eating acorn squash right away. It's a good carb, but take it in moderation
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    What's the problem with carbs?
  • MrNundy
    MrNundy Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I have parsnips nearly every night with my dinner, but i don't touch my calorie count so i feel that there acceptable lol.