having a hard time reaching 1200 cals

Options
Some days I will do just fine being on point with my calories, but other days I am completely satisfied (and full) on about 800. Should I push the calories or just listen to my body?

Replies

• happyfeetrebel1
    happyfeetrebel1 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    I'd say listen to your body, but I also doubt that you're 'full' on 800 calories. You didn't gain weight being full on that.

Is it possible that you're inaccurately logging? Try weighing instead :)
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Calorie dense foods can be your friends when you're trying to boost your calories. This is a generic list and it's definitely not comprehensive, but anything here can be included in a balanced diet (as long as there are no allergies, medical conditions, obviously):
    avocado
    cheese
    full fat dairy
    Greek yogurt
    ice cream
    peanut butter (or other nut butters)
    dark chocolate
    less lean cuts of meat (including beef, pork, sausage, etc.)
    seeds (chia, flax, sunflower, etc.)
    nuts
    olive oil
    coconut oil
    butter
    beans and lentils
    protein shakes, bars, and smoothies
    hummus
    beef jerky
    cornbread
    tuna
    full calorie condiments
    full calorie sauces & dressings
    sour cream
    guacamole
    whole grain pasta
    rice
    bacon
    whole eggs
    quinoa
    fruit and fruit juices
    pretzels
    bananas
    scones
    muffins (bran, blueberry, banana nut, etc.)
    potatoes (sweet, red, gold, purple, white, etc.)
    dried fruit (raisins, apricots, plums, dates, etc.)
    granola
    coconut
    salmon
    edamame
    honey
    molasses
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    Eat calorie dense foods, get much closer to 1,200 calories.
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Double check your logging first - are you weighing your food with a food scale? If not, I recommend you get one and see what you're really eating. Weigh solids in grams, liquids can be weighed in cups though.

Once you've got your logging more accurate, you can make adjustments :)

~Lyssa
  • theninjamisfit
    Options
    Push it. 800 is not enough. Early satiety could be a sign of something deeper. Could be a sign that you've been eating too little too long, even. Or it could be a sign of underlying medical problems (which would require doctor visit). I'm willing to bet if you've been eating 1200 and lower for a long time, it'd be the former.

The easiest way to boost calories is peanut butter or avocado. A handful of nuts goes a long way, too.
  • Selah722
    Selah722 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Push it. 800 is not enough. Early satiety could be a sign of something deeper. Could be a sign that you've been eating too little too long, even. Or it could be a sign of underlying medical problems (which would require doctor visit). I'm willing to bet if you've been eating 1200 and lower for a long time, it'd be the former.

The easiest way to boost calories is peanut butter or avocado. A handful of nuts goes a long way, too.

(*) AGREED!
    peanut butter is what I use when I'm a few hundred short at the end of the day. ( I get the natural smuckers sugar free stuff and just eat it with a spoon.) your metabalisom will shut off if you're consistently eating only 800 calories.
  • happyfeetrebel1
    happyfeetrebel1 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    Selah722 wrote: »
    (*) AGREED!
    peanut butter is what I use when I'm a few hundred short at the end of the day. ( I get the natural smuckers sugar free stuff and just eat it with a spoon.) your metabalisom will shut off if you're consistently eating only 800 calories.

Metabolisms don't 'shut off'. This is complete and utter myth.

But 800 calories is still too low.

• AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Lots of good info already posted. All I can add is that if you're truly accurate with your calories, weighing and measuring everything and still only hitting 800, then ditch any and all "diet" foods you might be eating - low-fat, low-carb, etc. Don't be afraid of fat - our bodies need dietary fat, and that's not what makes US fat, it's eating too many calories. The food list up there is awesome - lots of calorie dense foods that will get you to goal in small portions, so you don't have to eat a ton to be getting your calories in.
  • jaysiekemso
    jaysiekemso Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    800 is way too low. No one should feel full by eating 800 calories a day. Are you sure you're weighing everything right? If so try eat foods that are high in calorie so you can eat the same amount but consume more calories. Push it to 1200 a day
  • runnrchic
    runnrchic Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Unless a person is a complete couch potato, I don't understand how anyone can be even close to feeling full off of 800 calories (unless they had the stomach surgery, but that is a medical issue).
  • MaggieLoo79
    MaggieLoo79 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Some days I will do just fine being on point with my calories, but other days I am completely satisfied (and full) on about 800. Should I push the calories or just listen to my body?

I have the same issue. Especially during the work week. I'm not a breakfast person, I get busy and forget lunch and then I can't eat enough at dinner to get my calories high enough. I don't want to go to bed feeling sick/full so I've refused to force it. I don't know how bad it is for us. I like to think I make up for it on the weekends???