How did you stop binge eating?

Options
The title really says it all, for those of you who managed to overcome binge eating, how did you do it?

I've been working on losing weight for almost 5 years now (I'm 25), and it's been the same pattern over and over again. I do great for 6 months or so, get down to a new low weight, and then screw it all up by binging for several months. As of February of this year, I was down a total of 96 pounds (with still 100 lbs left to lose), and then started binge eating from stress. Almost two months later I'm still eating like crazy, and I haven't weighed during this time but I know I'm up at least 10 lbs.

I know no one is forcing me to eat, and it's up to me to just stop bingeing, but any tips? At all? I'm hating myself so much right now.

Replies

• Sarasari
    Sarasari Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I figured out when I have to eat and stayed above getting hungry, so the need doesn't strike. I eat a cheese stick at 5 am before working out, breakfast between 7&8, a small snack at 10:00, lunch between 12-12:30, small snack at 3, dinner at 6:30. I plan my meal the night before, if I need to switch something during the day I will, but at least I know what I am having for dinner. If I used to binge eat because I was stressed I will channel it to exercise now. If I used to do it out of boredom I stay busy. I like to cook and watch food shows, so I used to binge during those shows, now I plan to slowly eat a meal or a snack during a show or make sure I am full, I can't watch the shows late at night anymore because I will want to eat again when I know I am done. I drink a lot of water and have a friend look over my food diary every day to keep me honest. And I pray a lot.
  • Coachconni
    Coachconni Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I eat fiber in each meal. I make sure that I am full. It does mean heavier meals even at breakfast. If I go light, I'll eat all day not realizing the need for something substantial
  • missdollars661
    Options
    Try snacking on fruit. Make the fruit appealing cut up different fruit, add yogurt to it. Or if u crave something sweet such as myself eat a weight watchers choc bar. ( rich toffee are great ) but less calories and better for you thn the average choc bars
  • cottonwithoutthecake
    Options
    I think having meals at regular intervals (immediately after waking up, then 3 hrs after that, then 5 hrs after that, then nothing before bed) has been a huge factor in contributing to the diminishing of my binge urges. I also cut out HFCS completely, and try to keep my meals high in fiber as was suggested above.
  • noobletmcnugget
    noobletmcnugget Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I just don't have the foods that I would binge on in my home. Or, if I want just a small amount of these foods (e.g. crisps, chocolate), I'd buy individual packets, rather than multi-packets or big bags. I can't control myself otherwise!
  • D_squareG
    D_squareG Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Try to figure out your triggers and then avoid them. For me, television can really trigger eating. If I see people eating, I want to eat. Some shows I had trouble with: Sopranos (always eating), Bluebloods (the show focuses around a family dinner each week, anything Food Network. Just remove those things that stimulate you. At least for a while.

If you don't know what is causing it, keep a diary of your binges. Where were you, what were you doing, what did you eat, and etc.

And most importantly, try to log the binge. Tell yourself that is the least you can do. Seeing the numbers is sometimes a wake up call.

Good luck. It isn't easy, but it isn't hopeless.
  • MonicaSmith98
    MonicaSmith98 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I agree. Identifying triggers is so important. It took me an extremely long time to realize I even had triggers.
  • gavacho661
    Options
    Will power. I just detoxed off alcohol a month ago. It was one awful 7 days. After 3 years of heavy drinking if I can quit cold turkey then you have the power to not binge on food. U just gotta know you can and make up ur mind that u are gonna do it.
  • Matumama
    Matumama Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Sugar is a problem for me. Once I get started its hard to stop so I've just been skipping sugar entirely.
  • lisabinco
    lisabinco Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    Matumama wrote: »
    Sugar is a problem for me. Once I get started its hard to stop so I've just been skipping sugar entirely.
    Same for me. Sugary stuff is definitely a trigger for me. I find that I don't binge nearly as much if I make sure to feed myself really nutritious foods most of the time. If my body is getting plenty of good nutrition, it does blunt the urge to over-eat. I also employ a mental trick I learned in AA. I tell myself that in 1 day or 2 hours or 3 days from now I will allow myself the crap food item I want to binge on, just not right now. I go do something else, somewhere else besides the kitchen, away from the pantry right away. Later, I will have forgotten all about wanting that food. The urge passes. It is a surprisingly effect mind-game for me. (Maybe I'm feeble-minded, but hey, whatever works!)

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I personally tried cutting out foods that were hyperpalatable that I ate all the time, cookies, chips, etc. But, my binging was not do to food just tasting good; I'd find random things to binge on (cans of corn, rice, beans, bread, whatever I could find and easily eat).

The key for me was having a moderate deficit. MFP game me 1500 calories, but I calculated my maintenance and ate a little higher but still under maintenance, at 1800. I lost a fair amount of weight eating at that level, but my activity had increased a fair amount (yay fitbit for encouraging me to move), and so 1800 ended up being a pretty severe deficit again. And the binges had started again.

I recently upped my calories again. I have a pretty slight deficit now. I should lose about half a pound a week, which feels really slow since I have at least another 30lbs to lose (if not more depending on how I look). But, I'd rather lose slowly than to have to deal with the emotional ups and downs of binges as well as stalling out when the binges set me back.

I eat all the foods I used to binge on, but in moderation. I did get a lot of it out of the house for a while, and then incorporated appropriate portions back into my diet. I did this by not having it around the house, and then I'd buy a single serving out (like getting a small gelato from a local place). It was more expensive, but definitely worth it in the long run. I was able to adjust my mind to the appropriate serving size. I was then slowly able to buy those foods, keep them in the house, and weigh out a single serving. It was definitely a process.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    i havent stopped altogether, I consider myself a "recovering binge-eater". If I do binge, I log it. I try my best not to beat myself up about it. and I move on.
  • calypsotracey
    calypsotracey Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I just don't have the foods that I would binge on in my home. Or, if I want just a small amount of these foods (e.g. crisps, chocolate), I'd buy individual packets, rather than multi-packets or big bags. I can't control myself otherwise!

This. Plus, I mostly stopped eating out at the beginning of the year so it’s been easier to not overeat. I can always find good food options when I got out to eat, but I can usually eat more food for fewer calories when I make my meals at home.

I’ve also allowed myself the occassional day (about once a month) when I eat anything at all that I want to eat. It helps me feel like I’m not depriving myself and I’ve found over time that because I eat within my calorie goals about 80%-90% of the time that my choices on a free-for-all day aren’t quite so horrible as I expected. Plus, I just don’t feel good amymore when I eat too much bad food, so that helps.

As for hating yourself - that’s about the hardest thing to get control over. We are our own worst critics and it’s easy to get caught in the cycle of binging and shaming ourselves. Then we feel bad about what we’ve done and then we eat more to feel better. At least that’s been my experience. All I can say about that is practice forgiving youself. When I got serious about losing weight again last summer I wrote an “intention” reminder about losing weight and one of the steps is “Forgiving myself for lapses.” I used to have to the reminder set to pop up on my phone every day at 2pm and I’d read it and be reminded of what I’m trying to accomplish. It sounds silly at first, but it really helped me to let go of feeling bad for all the ways I felt like I failed in the past. I can’t change the things I’ve done, but I can change what I’m going to do in the future.
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    I had a real problem with sugar and bread. If I started eating those at home...even a little...I would then want more and more. It often triggered binges.

What worked for me is to not buy any food with added sugar, or any wheat (bread, pizza, pasta). None of that came into my house. Without those triggers, I am able to eat anything else in normal amounts. Moderation with sugar has never worked for me. It is much easier to eliminate it all together.

Now, on very rare occasions, I will have these things outside the home at social occasions. But never at home. This is so simple and works so well I wish I had done it years ago.
  • bulk_n_cut
    bulk_n_cut Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    5 years is a long time. If you haven't succeeded in stopping to overfeed for half a decade, realistically its probably not gonna happen lol. Maybe just try burning off all the extra food.
    But what do I know? I sure hope you'll prove me wrong :)
    I hereby embrace myself for a potential torrent of disagreement
  • r5d5
    r5d5 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Definitely you need to figure out what the emotional/psychological reason for your binges are before you can think about "fixing it." That's a huge part of recovering from binge eating. Those underlying issues need to be resolved first, which will help give you a healthier relationship with food to eventually get beyond turning to food for whatever reason it is that you do.

Best wishes to you!
  • kaityfriske1
    kaityfriske1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Yes 5 years is a long time, but hope is not lost. I mean, holy crap, you lost 96 lbs! Thats a whole 15 year old girl! And if you gained 10 back, big whoop, 86 pounds is still amazing (probably a 13 year old girl).
    I know its hard to stop binging. I have been binging for a few years. The moment I really realized it was a problem was when I faced the fact that I hide my binging and all evidence of it (well, except for my gut and huge thighs!). Seriously, I am a closet Binger, and my biggest nemesis is drive thrus. I get these really intense food cravings and I will think about the same food for days until I finally eat it. And its never as good as i was hoping. And it's always followed by shame and guilt.
    My advice:
    -log your binge!
    -Dont dwell on cravings! As soon as you have an intense craving, just shut it out. It's so hard, but you can do it. Try to picture the food you're craving taped to your thigh. (For example, a slice of pizza taped to your leg) it might sound silly, but i know my jeans are tight enough!
    -eat a small snack before going out to dinner. This isn't something to do all the time, but if its a day where you had a lot of binge triggers maybe you would be better off being less hungry when it's time to make that menu choice!
    -don't start over tomorrow. Start over RIGHT NOW. I do that all the time.

Binge eating is overwhelming. Just prepare yourself that you will need to fight the urge everyday. Try to have snacks and meals ready/portioned ahead of time.

You can do it, you've already proven you can!

• daniip_la
    daniip_la Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the help, everyone. My binges are mainly set off by stress, but I'm going to work on having more will power to shut them down when I feel one starting. And if I do give in, I'll be sure to log everything and get back on the scale. I think doing those things will help me see the damage I'm doing.
  • golfgirl99
    golfgirl99 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I have done the same thing and I know how frustrating it is. For me to stay on the right path I have to know that I am forever committed to logging. I need to keep moving because when I stop for a few days and the weight still comes off I fall into a false sense of reality until I haven't exercised in two weeks and "just a couple" turns into a whole bag of you name it. I have recently committed to never deciding if I'm going to work out or not without getting completely dressed for my workout. Hasn't failed me yet I will go a minimum of 30 on elliptical or take my dog for a 3 mile walk. I eat a couple of spoonfuls of ice cream almost daily as you can see from my diary but account for it and it's honestly been a huge lifesaver because I enjoy every bite instead of mindless binging. Moderation and accountability.
  • bonniejo
    bonniejo Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    D_squareG wrote: »
    Try to figure out your triggers and then avoid them. For me, television can really trigger eating. If I see people eating, I want to eat. Some shows I had trouble with: Sopranos (always eating), Bluebloods (the show focuses around a family dinner each week, anything Food Network. Just remove those things that stimulate you. At least for a while.

If you don't know what is causing it, keep a diary of your binges. Where were you, what were you doing, what did you eat, and etc.

And most importantly, try to log the binge. Tell yourself that is the least you can do. Seeing the numbers is sometimes a wake up call.

Good luck. It isn't easy, but it isn't hopeless.

Haha watch Walking Dead. When they're eating it's either walkers eating people or people eating dog food or worms or squirrels. You won't want to eat lol