this is such a dumb question but help a girl out anyway...

Options
so i was cleaning today and a very heavy chair fell on top of my foot, I don't think it's broke, just bruised really bad and hurts if i wear a shoe...as long as I do not wear shoes it is okay...so here's my question...IS EXERCISING ON THE ELLIPTICAL OK TO DO WITHOUT SHOES??

I have to get my cardio in today, I don't know what else to do that I could do without a shoe...looking silly isn't really a concern to me bahahaha

Replies

• MadisonsMom2009
    MadisonsMom2009 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I honestly can't see why not??!

Hope your foot feels better soon!!
  • tolygal
    tolygal Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I once did the elliptical in flip flops.... Not on purpose - I just forgot to grab my gym shoes, so it was flip flops or nothing... You might get some funny looks, but who cares!! I hope you foot feels better soon!
  • warmachinejt
    warmachinejt Posts: 2,167 Member
    Options
    You need to let any injury recover before doing any exercise. You really need to go to the medic if walking feels even slightly akward.
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Wouldn't it make more sense to let your foot heal so that you don't injure it further and have to be off your feet for weeks or months? Call me crazy....
  • Elle408
    Elle408 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I've done it barefoot. Don't much like the grips digging in the bottoms of my feet but I got the workout in so it was worth it! Just remember to stop if you feel any strain on your injury!
  • afrochique
    afrochique Posts: 2
    Options
    I think it's okay. If you're on the elliptical, it's not really causing any type of strain on your feet. I say go for it.

Hope your foot is okay.
  • laceylovespink
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone :)
  • Helena4
    Helena4 Posts: 124
    Options
    First I'd get your foot looked at and then go to the gym in whatever the heck you like :laugh: but try something that supports the back of your ankle too :smile:
  • RyonsLions2
    RyonsLions2 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    If it's bruised I would do something like boxing vigorously to get your heart rate up. Don't do any walking or running if you can help it. Boxing can be a great way to get cardio in. The Wii and the XBox Kinect are great sources!! I do Kinect Sports Boxing and if you really allow yourself to get into it for like 30 minutes... you will elevate your heart rate very nicely!! Just take care of yourself and don't push it with an injury! Hope your foot heals quickly!!
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    If you can't wear a shoe because it hurts, you probably shouldn't be exercising. Although ellipticals are minimal impact, you are still putting your body weight on your feet.

See a doctor. There are a lot of little bones in your feet and you may have a fracture.
  • luppic8
    luppic8 Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    No, it's not a good idea. You could run the risk of hurting your feet and shins. Go get your foot looked at, you may have fractured it.
  • tolygal
    tolygal Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    My post assumes that you are talking about a bruise. I agree that if you have a more serious injury, you should let it rest.
  • Agglaki
    Agglaki Posts: 105
    Options
    I'm sorry, don't you press down on your foot when using the machine to get it and maintain motion?

Surely if the foot is hurt in any way this will only aggravate it!?
  • Dellonious1
    Dellonious1 Posts: 209
    Options
    I BROKE 5 TINY BONES IN MY FOOT JUST FROM GETTING UP OFF MY COUCH . THAT WAS 5 MONTHS AGO, DOCTOR SAID IT WILL NEVER HEALL 100%... YOU REALLY SHOULD TAKE IT EASY FOR day or two....
  • david081
    david081 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Rest it overnight and if still very painful don't exercise on it see a doc, if you don't you could suffer a long setback...
  • sharidiane
    sharidiane Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I twisted my foot last fall. It hurt, but not too bad, so I just kept walking on it. Guess what? I gave myself a stress fracture because I didn't stop, ice, and rest it.

Just think - two or three days of no elliptical versus six weeks in a boot. And I was lucky, the doctor said some people have to do 3 MONTHS in a boot. I said, no, six weeks sounds great, TYVM.

Good luck!
  • Elokyn
    Elokyn Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    IMHO.....I had to go to a podiatrist because of foot pain (I hadn't even done anything to it) had something called sesamoiditis which isn't a break he said a possible fracture but he said if I would have kept getting on the elliptical and stuff it could have aggravated the bone and caused a bone infection.Resulting in having to get that bone removed.....just because it doesn't FEEL like it's bothering it, you may want to check it out with a podiatrist before you hurt yourself to where you can't even walk. :) Hope you feel better soon!
  • aehealey
    aehealey Posts: 17
    Options
    I work out in my socks everyday, I broke my leg in 4 places this winter and wearing shoes is just too uncomfortable. I definitely get funny looks but I usually chose the stairmaster over the elliptical, the elliptical has these "grips" that'll definitely hurt after a while barefoot.
  • Elokyn
    Elokyn Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Oh...myabe you can do some kind of ab workout on the floor...floor bicycles and leg lifts and stuff...that gets the heart rate up pretty good!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    I'm in the "give it a few days" camp. Rest and recover.