Lacking motivation!

Options
Hi all, my name is Amanda. I have had myfitness pal for quite some time now. It was not until the scale tipped to 260 that I am really needing some motivation to shed these unwanted pounds. I am a mother of 3 and would like to see my children grow. I primarily want to be healthy not thin. I am also a nurse and should know better than to consume unhealthy foods. It is just very hard once your body has been introduced. I would greatly appreciate anyone willing to befriend me along this journey. Good luck! :)

Replies

• jckimbell
    jckimbell Posts: 114
    Options
    We can do it. Let's go. Get it and destroy it
  • Feistycat
    Feistycat Posts: 12,868 Member
    Options
    Hi Mandalopez. I've discovered that the very best weight loss motivation for me is to be single and looking for a Sweetie Pie. Since I'm 54 and happily & contentedly married for almost 25 years, I don't fit that demographic. Hence, I haven't found a powerful intrinsic motivator for weight loss in quite awhile.

When I suggested to my hubby that we might have for dinner: soup and salad, he said,: Salad :-( (much disappointment voiced), Well, hell.

In recap, I'm healthy, middle-aged, so why hould I strive to meet Hollywood's/ America's standards? Really. tell me. I have a rock-hard core with a protective coating on top ;-)
  • mandalopez08
    mandalopez08 Posts: 7
    edited March 2015
    Options
    @jckimbell‌ absolutely....only way to get it done....dive in head first! Lol. Even when I want to rely on my floaties! @Feistycat yes, being single and ready to mingle keeps the motivation at a all time high. I want to be loved for more than just my looks. And I have found that although I am at my heaviest (well to me anyway) I get hit on more!! Lol. Oddly! However I do agree with your outlook. Thank you for replying :)
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    Why do relationships make us fat? I will never understand that. I put on loads of weight with my last crappy relationship where we nearly fed eachother to death. Then we broke up and I levelled out. Now that I have a man who has told me just about every day since we met that I'm beautiful, I've gained even more. Anyway, I maxed out at 250 and am working my way back towards "pleasantly plump." 140 is my goal at the moment. No more being content with sore knees and a "pretty smile."

Welcome back to the game!
  • mandalopez08
    Options
    @PaulaWallaDingDong‌ Exactly, I am not quite sure why relationships effect our weight. Comfort I suppose. Thank you for the motivational words. We can do this!!! :)
  • johnfraser95
    johnfraser95 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I'm in a similar boat...would love to help
  • mahandkp
    mahandkp Posts: 2
    Options
    Im in! Im a FTM, and i gained 80lbs from the pregnancy. And another 10lb since ive had my son.
  • mandalopez08
    Options
    @johnfraser95‌ I will take any tips I can get! And I greatly appreciate the offer. :)@mahandkp‌ yes as mothers we tend to gain weight and keep it on! Lol. I am determined to lose the belly fat mostly, without having too much extra skin. Belly fat seems to be the most stubborn for me.
  • runfoorun
    runfoorun Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Habit is better than motivation I think. Make exercise and meal prep a habit and you're half way there. Then all you need is a bit of determination to make it count.
  • mandalopez08
    Options
    Agreed @runfoorun‌! Once a habit is developed that is half the battle. I know 80% of it is the nutrition aspect and what I feed my body. Sadly, in America it is so backwards. It costs $1 for a burger and $5+ for a salad. Being that I am a nurse and constantly on the go...that is my biggest struggle. Many times I literally throw whatever I can in my mouth to eat, because half the time I am not sure I will even get to sit. However, I need to learn to slow down and instead of constantly taking care of others....focus on my own health a little more. Thank you for replying :):)