How to rebuild muscle after weight loss

Options
I have lost a significant amount of muscle during the past few months of dieting. I use to have quite a bit of tone in my arms, legs, and butt, but appear to be saggy and flabby now. How can I rebuild this muscle quickly and most efficiently?

Replies

• shreyashiganguly
    shreyashiganguly Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    You have to start strength training. If you have access to a gym then awesome if not you can always do bodyweight exercises.http://www.startbodyweight.com/p/start-bodyweight-basic-routine.html
    Along with that try to balance some yoga/ pilates and pitch in some cardio (even brisk walking is fine).
    On the surface of it, this may look like quite a lot but introduce one thing at a time. Plus do not forget to meet your protein goals.
    Sample week:
    Monday: Strength training + Yoga stretches
    Tuesday: Light cardio
    Wednesday: Strength training + Tai chi or pilates
    Thursday: Light cardio
    Friday: Strength training + Yoga
    Saturday: Light cardio
    Sunday: REST

Try to eat clean as much as you can and if you need I would be happy to motivate.
    All the best.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,579 Member
    Options
    Realize that if you're trying to put on muscle, you're adding mass. Adding mass means adding weight. To add weight, you will have to increase to a surplus. Not a big one, but still a surplus.
    Stick to a full body workout about 3 times a week with a day of rest in between.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • tristamdavis
    tristamdavis Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice (:
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    set MFP to .5 pound per week gain
    get on a structured program like strong lifts, starting strength, new rules of lifting for woman, etc. ..