What Foods to stay away from besides fast food

Options
Can any help on what foods to stay away from , i just started last monday and my days have been egg sandwhich on whole grain wheat bread and an apple , then a banana mid morning and a chicken or turkey deli slice sandwhich on whole grain wheat bread with delmonte no sugar pears and a light supper like beef stew , breakfast steak with cup of 2 veggies , and then a 30-35 min walk at the local hs track , what is some other things i need to be doing or not doing i want to loose about 140 lbs and when does you weight usually plateau i have lost about a lb and half so far this week im on a 2230 cal a day limit

thanks for all the help

Replies

• MirandaDeCrane
    MirandaDeCrane Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    For me personally, I went into this with the idea that I refused to cut ANY food from my diet. I enjoy pizza, chocolate, wine, fast food, etc...I just don't eat it daily, and watch my portions. I have lost nearly 40lbs since January 1st. No plateaus yet!!! Fingers crossed LOL
  • aimee0515
    aimee0515 Posts: 67
    Options
    Incorporate some more veggies into your diet. I would not eat any fruit after lunch...and stay away from all processed foods and sugar and high fructose corn syrup. Make sure the whole wheat bread you are eating does not say "enriched" in the ingredients list. If it does, this means they took everything healthy out of it and attempted to put some of the nutrition back in.
  • tim_fitbuilt4life
    tim_fitbuilt4life Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I sounds like you are doing everything correctly, just try to stay 500 calories below your daily allowance and avoid calorie densed foods and eat plenty of steamed or raw veggies. Good luck!
  • aimee0515
    aimee0515 Posts: 67
    Options
    For me personally, I went into this with the idea that I refused to cut ANY food from my diet. I enjoy pizza, chocolate, wine, fast food, etc...I just don't eat it daily, and watch my portions. I have lost nearly 40lbs since January 1st. No plateaus yet!!! Fingers crossed LOL

Agreed!! I don't say I CAN'T have anything.
  • ItsMeMaryW
    ItsMeMaryW Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Me too, I eat what I want just don't go over my calories for the day. I only hit one big plateau since I started that lasted 3 weeks. I ate one meal without counting calories (Thanksgiving Dinner) and that jump started the weight loss again. My biggest challenge is sodium....
  • ❤B☩❤
    ❤B☩❤ Posts: 634
    Options
    Incorporate some more veggies into your diet. I would not eat any fruit after lunch...and stay away from all processed foods and sugar and high fructose corn syrup. Make sure the whole wheat bread you are eating does not say "enriched" in the ingredients list. If it does, this means they took everything healthy out of it and attempted to put some of the nutrition back in.

Good to know....thanks!
  • healthyjen342
    healthyjen342 Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    Everything is fine IN MODERATION....I would try to find a healthy balance betweem your calories, good fats, fruits and veggies, anddrink plenty of water...in time you will find what works for you...some things work for some people..also,people plateu differently..especially if you've got a lot to lose.

congrats on your success so far..and good luck on your success in the future..
  • semhamm
    semhamm Posts: 6
    Options
    Watch youre sodium intake in foods....a 2000 mg (or 2gram sodium) in a day will help....the more salt you eat the more fluid you retain. Also if you happen to eat extra salt one day increase you're potassium intake it counteracts the sodium. If you can use liquid eggs instead of regular eggs ....they don't have the fat or cholesterol in them. If you can eat through out day eat something every 2-3 hours which is equals 6 small meals a day. You are doing good the healthy way to lose weight is no more than 4lbs a month this way you are doing it slowly and easier to stay off. You have 140lbs to lose so remember this is a life long journey and the key is to make small changes, make healthier food choices and be active. I am right there with you I need to lose around 90lbs I was a fast food addict so you have to retrain you're brain to eat healthy. Make sure you are getting fiber in you're diet this helps pull out fat in you're body....fiber bars, apples, whole grains are great sources of fiber. Water intake is very important if it's hard for you to drink plain water add crystal light flavors...add lemon slces in water. If you have problems being tempted by unhealthy foods make sure you don't have any of this in you're house or where you can turn to these foods. Make sure after you exercise to be getting a protein source within 30 min....you can get this by eating food or using protein powder. There is so much that I can tell you I am a Registered Nurse and I always read and learn about health. Everyone is different with weight loss and lose differently...just remember you should not be hungry...if you are then you need to change something like adding more fiber, fruit, protein, or veggies in youre diet! Even if you have to have a snack before bed it's ok...pick 100calorie popcorn, cereal that has fiber, nutragrain bar with cup fatfree milk. Avoid white breads, pasta,rice....change to brown (whole wheat), avoid sodas, highfat high sugar foods. Avoid frying foods if you do use a George Foreman. Don't mean to be long winded but I have so much to tell you....I am making progress and yes we all fall but the key is to get back up and not give up....when you eat something you know you shouldn't have don't feel guilty...start back the next meal eating healthy choices. You can do this...there is a great book that tells so much about things to eat and not eat....Dr. Colbert "Eat this and Live"....he has a site icandothisdiet.com I love it its just learning to substitute with good healthy foods and be active. Good luck to you.
  • katznkt
    katznkt Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I try to stay away from oil, and salt, and processed foods. And sugar. A little is fine- everything in moderation, but a little processed food skyrockets my sodium and fat for the day.

I try not to consume anything with more than 25% calories from fat.
  • beckyinma
    beckyinma Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options

I totally agree. If you deprive yourself you will eventually hit something stressful and binge on all the bad stuff and regret it. I've added a ton of salad, fresh veggis, steamed veggis, yogurt smoothies to my diet, as well as using less veggi oil and more extra virgin olive oil instead. Less salt, less sugar, and just watch your portions, moderation and self control are key. Set realistic mini goals, like 10 lb by July 4th, another 10 by sept 1st etc.
  • beckyinma
    beckyinma Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    you have to retrain you're brain to eat healthy.

exactly.
  • kacarter1017
    kacarter1017 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Stay away from processed foods. Eat as many whole foods with raw veggies, whole grains, and lean protein as the center of your foods. Drink plenty of water as well.
  • msjersey73
    msjersey73 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    The best list is in the book "Sugar Busters (Lifestyle). i don't eat bananas because they are too high in sugar (have plantains instead), or eat berries.
    and watch the "whole wheat" bread, if it has "Enriched flour" its just as bad for you as wonder white bread. make sure you get the cracked wheat, or stone ground instead.
    keep the Lean meats low in sodium. and also good green veggies are lowest in sugar, so i stay away from potatoes, if i can.
    good luck, and take care :-)
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    I don't 100% cosign on the "everything in moderation". That is true for most things, just not all. Largely because I don;t want this to be a diet. I wanted a lifestyle change and I wanted to develop better eating habits. Soda, pfft, kicked that in a week. Became a vegetarian years ago and simply stopped eating meat/poultry & seafood. Not a bit of a problem. Then there's coffee. I know I can't ever have it again. I am an insomniac. Really bad as in I have gone literally days without sleeping. Coffee makes that condition worse.

I used to LOVE coffee. I have a coffee grinder, a french press, a sensea, a regular drip pot with a timer & I sold a cappuccino machine. I had whole beans, imported blends from all over the whole. For me coffee isn't just a beverage, it was an experience. I love heating the water, grinding the beans and making a good pot of coffee. I like to sit and have a good cup and perhaps a nosh; a pasty or scone . Several time I quit, only drank herbal teas or decaf. Drinking decaf always lead me back to the real thing. I have no control over coffee and a bad habit of eating the wrong thing when I have it. So this time around I realized I can't drink coffee in moderation and it's not good for me. I simply had to give it up.
  • CrimsonWife
    CrimsonWife Posts: 56
    Options
    Your diet seems rather carb-heavy to me. I would switch the bread to Ezekial/sprouted grain and only at 1 meal rather than 2. The apple for breakfast is okay, but swap the banana and pears out for non-starchy veggies. A chicken salad with a cup of low-sodium veggie soup would be a much healthier lunch than the sandwich + pears.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    The only kinds of foods I would suggest staying away from are the ones you can't seem to control your portions on. I have a friend who's a total sugar junkie. Just one piece of candy, and her cravings are so intense that it becomes nearly impossible for her to not eat more. So for her, she just has to cut out candy altogether.
  • wildon883r
    wildon883r Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    You can eat anything you want. I get irritated when people say "Stay away or avoid fruits" Ask any diabetic. The sugar in fruits is NOT the same as sugar thats refined. We need to eat PLENTY of fruits and vegetables in our daily diets. The things that hammer your calorie goals are thinks like breads, rolls and ANY food that comes in a box. Try to eat only the perimeter of a store. The fresh vegetables, fruits and proteins, meats, eggs, and yes cheeses (low fat) Lunch meat is not healthy for you at all even if its deli turkey. If you want a turkey sandwich , buy a whole turkey, bake it, slice it and have real turkey.

Same goes for chicken. use chicken breast thinly sliced if you want a chicken sandwich. You will find out that once you start eating healthy that the unhealthy foods really do nothing when it comes to satisfying you and your appetite. No soda pop regular or diet. Avoid diet or anything thats labeled fat free. Once you've got that figured out. Find out the calories in the foods you eat and try to eat what you need to eat to lose weight. You will be amazed how much healthy food you can eat and remain under your calorie goals compared to unhealthy fast foods. Weight loss is simple so keep it that way. Good Luck
  • CrimsonWife
    CrimsonWife Posts: 56
    Options
    You can eat anything you want. I get irritated when people say "Stay away or avoid fruits" Ask any diabetic. The sugar in fruits is NOT the same as sugar thats refined.

Fruits do have lots of vitamins & minerals, but they also have a high glycemic index. And, in fact, your body treats fructose from fruit just like sucrose from table sugar. Table sugar has a GI of 92 while bananas have a GI of 89. That's virtually identical when it comes to the impact on your blood sugar.

One serving per day in combination with protein (like the egg) is fine, and it's best to eat fruit lower on the GI like apples, berries, or grapefruit.
  • Mtsidad
    Mtsidad Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Stay away from processed foods. Eat as many whole foods with raw veggies, whole grains, and lean protein as the center of your foods. Drink plenty of water as well.

This is probably the key. You're going to have to regulate how and what you eat - not like you're a robot or unfeeling human. Just that you're going to need to shift your intake because you need to eat "healthy."

I enjoy the convenience of canned food and deli meats, but *for me* they just have too much sodium. We need salt, but I was pushing way past the MFP limit every day when I first started (and my blood pressure reflected that). I didn't shame myself for that - just used it to learn what foods to eat that had less sodium. Now I'm going days at a time well under the sodium limit.

Instead of deli meats, which I love, I get a roasting chicken. Rinse it off, cut up a lemon and stick in side,put in a roasting pand, and an hour in the oven you have a nice seasoned chicken. Depending on your portion sizes, it's 3-4 meals at least. Pull the skin off after roasting (my preference) because while there is saturated fat in the skin, roasting it "dry" really kills the texture of the meat. I just make sure I pull off any visible fat when I eat it and I'm good with that. The chicken itself becomes a side dish to the rest of my meals which are vegetable and fruit based.

I find that bread is by bête noire in the sense that I love it but it is not really my friend. So I am eating less, and eating bread that's richer and tastier. I am eating Dave's Killer Bread 21 grains, and I find that one slice at breakfast is tasty.

For me, personally, I am trying to reduce all the substitutes for what I like. I don't want "diet" foods because generally speaking they simply do not taste like the real thing. There are some diet foods I like because I like the taste, but I don't say "it's just like real crème brûlée!" I will eat what I like, especially the real thing, but just smaller portions or I adjust everything else that I eat.

The reason people say there are food to stay away from is that a lot of the convenient foods are high in salt and sugar. In moderation, these things aren't bad for you, but moderation is difficult to accomplish when a bag of chips is a few dollars and the whole bag is gone in seconds. Recording what you eat in MFP will help you see this. Don't punish yourself when you see it - just use the information to make better choices.

Go for vegetables in a variety of ways. They aren't just "good for you" in the sense of "you should eat this as punishment" - they are good, and depending on how to make them, they can be satisfying in their own way. They can stretch out a meal size so you feel "full" with far less calories. I had 2 ounces of chicken the other day mixed in with squashes roasted with garlic and some oriental seasonings and it was quite good. Put vegetables in the foods you prepare - when I make turkey chili, I use finely-grated carrots as an extender. They cook down and add a little more thickness to the chili, and some sweetness, but they also add some other goodness.

Do this for YOU. People will give you advice, and everyone will tell you "you should be doing this." I have told *very* few people that I'm changing my eating and exercise lifestyle, because I don't want the stupid advice. I'm basically trying to reduce fat and calories, increase water intake, and increase exercise. For me.

Good luck, welcome to MFP, and welcome to the journey.
  • Mtsidad
    Mtsidad Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Fruit has plenty of things pure sucrose does not. Generally it has other nutrients and fiber. You just have to account for it.

Fruit isn't "free" but neither is it bad. MODERATION. You're making lifestyle changes, not punishing yourself or trying to fit someone else's idea of a good person. If someone doesn't like your food choices and they offer their opinion, just say thank you and continue to do what YOU want to do. Unless you want a mother to tell you what to do the rest of your life, you should be making YOUR OWN CHOICES.