5.2 diet question?

if i eat around 1000 calories on fasting days and burn off around 500 calories through exercise, is this still classed as eating 500 calories? also on the days where i can eat more if i eat around 1500 calories and exercise burning off around 700 calories will i lose weight quicker?

i have been exercising and eating around 1400- 1500 calories a day and im losing around a pound a week, but i need to lose weight quicker really for my holiday.

Replies

• gwenpally
    gwenpally Posts: 20 Member
    No idea! Would also be very interested to know the answer to this though...
  • gwenpally
    gwenpally Posts: 20 Member
    Have you been doing the 5:2 diet or just considering it? I'd like to try it but I'm scared of feeling hungry!
  • DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    if i eat around 1000 calories on fasting days and burn off around 500 calories through exercise, is this still classed as eating 500 calories? also on the days where i can eat more if i eat around 1500 calories and exercise burning off around 700 calories will i lose weight quicker?

i have been exercising and eating around 1400- 1500 calories a day and im losing around a pound a week, but i need to lose weight quicker really for my holiday.

Eating 1000 and burning 500 is the same as eating 500 and doing no exercise, though it does add in the problem of estimating exercise calories, which can be difficult. In theory at least it's the same, though. On 5:2 you're meant to eat your maintenance on other days, you certainly don't want to be netting 800! You need to make sure you're eating enough.

With 32lbs to lose (if your ticker is accurate) a pound a week is a good rate, you don't want to lose any more than that. Yes, you *could* lose weight faster by netting less calories, but it's not a good idea. It's unhealthy and you'll be less likely to stick to it.
  • Hannahjane123456
    Hannahjane123456 Posts: 116 Member
    gwenpally wrote: »
    Have you been doing the 5:2 diet or just considering it? I'd like to try it but I'm scared of feeling hungry!

no just considering it really.
  • Hannahjane123456

Eating 1000 and burning 500 is the same as eating 500 and doing no exercise, though it does add in the problem of estimating exercise calories, which can be difficult. In theory at least it's the same, though. On 5:2 you're meant to eat your maintenance on other days, you certainly don't want to be netting 800! You need to make sure you're eating enough.

With 32lbs to lose (if your ticker is accurate) a pound a week is a good rate, you don't want to lose any more than that. Yes, you *could* lose weight faster by netting less calories, but it's not a good idea. It's unhealthy and you'll be less likely to stick to it.

what will happen if i net 800 calories on normal days?
  • toujoursbien19
    toujoursbien19 Posts: 4 Member
    It's generally accepted that the fast you lose weight, the quicker you put it back on, so bear that in mind for your holiday. If the foods you're eating on both the fast days and the normal-diet days are nutritious and well-balanced, and your portion sizes are not too large, then you should lose weight no matter how many calories you eat so long as you're exercising. However, the 5:2 works by creating a larger deficit two days a week and so I wouldn't advise eating 1000 on your fast days, but perhaps 700 would work if you're finding it difficult to stick to 500. The reason for this is because when you eat, and then exercise, the energy is taken out of your bloodstream rather than out of your body's built up glucose and fat supplies. If you do decide to eat 1000 calories, eat it after your exercise so that the exercise you do focuses on depleting the supplies you already have. I'd also recommend not eating under 1800 calories on your non-fast days, as it's more difficult to get all the nutrients that your body needs on a much lower calorie diet. Remember, to maintain your weight the average woman needs 2000 calories a day, depending on how active they are. For more information on how 'fasting' helps to kick start weight loss (and muscle building) have a look at http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2013/08/06/a-beginners-guide-to-intermittent-fasting/
    It's not specifically on the 5:2 diet, but it does begin to explain why an intermittent calorie deficit helps you lose fat mass.

Hope that helps, good luck with your weight loss!
  • DemoraFairy

what will happen if i net 800 calories on normal days?

You'll be starving yourself. You'll either give up, possibly binge eat, start a life of yo-yo dieting and learn nothing about portion control to keep the weight off when you stop dieting, or you'll make yourself seriously ill.
  • Nikkei74
    Nikkei74 Posts: 48 Member
    The 500 calories is based on the idea that your TDEE is 2000 calories per day. If your TDEE is higher than that, then you should aim to eat a quarter of those calories on fasting days. From what I've read, the number of calories should be gross, not net, so unfortunately that means not eating back exercise calories. On the plus side, once you get used to it, exercising fasted is a good distraction from hunger, and gets easier over time. The other good news is that if you go choose your food well on fasting days, you don't really end up feeling famished. Still, it's not for everyone, so go with whatever approach you think you can keep up.
  • AngieSitaAustin
    AngieSitaAustin Posts: 75 Member
    I am on my 2nd week of fasting. My fast days were Monday as i tend to eat crap over the weekend and a Wednesday or Thursday. I dont stick to the 500 cal as i fast on my gym days or the day after so i average 600, as my gym cal loss is around 1100 per session. On my none fast days i eat between 1200-1600 and i eat a well balanced diet so 800 is defiantly not enough to keep your body fueled. Sadly losing weight too quickly is not sustainable or healthy. You need to look at it as a lifestyle change as appose to a quick fix. Good luck
  • DemoraFairy
    Nikkei74 wrote: »
    The 500 calories is based on the idea that your TDEE is 2000 calories per day. If your TDEE is higher than that, then you should aim to eat a quarter of those calories on fasting days. From what I've read, the number of calories should be gross, not net, so unfortunately that means not eating back exercise calories.

Oh, really? But that doesn't make much sense not to eat back exercise calories. You say you're meant to eat a quarter of your TDEE on fast days, but TDEE includes exercise, so surely if you're going by TDEE then you are already eating back your exercise calories (the calories you include in whatever activity level you choose when you work out your TDEE at least, anyway).
  • Nikkei74
    Nikkei74 Posts: 48 Member
    The 500 calories is based on the idea that your TDEE is 2000 calories per day. If your TDEE is higher than that, then you should aim to eat a quarter of those calories on fasting days. From what I've read, the number of calories should be gross, not net, so unfortunately that means not eating back exercise calories.

Oh, really? But that doesn't make much sense not to eat back exercise calories. You say you're meant to eat a quarter of your TDEE on fast days, but TDEE includes exercise, so surely if you're going by TDEE then you are already eating back your exercise calories (the calories you include in whatever activity level you choose when you work out your TDEE at least, anyway).

Yes, you're right; the quarter of your TDEE already includes the amount of exercise calories you can eat back. Meaning that to eat an additional 500 calories would require an increase in TDEE of 2000 calories. Noting of course that the TDEE calculation assumes an average amount of activity per week, not a precise measurement for the specific fast day. Still, there's nobody out there monitoring 5:2 compliance, so no reason not to change it to suit individual needs.
  • DemoraFairy

Yes, you're right; the quarter of your TDEE already includes the amount of exercise calories you can eat back. Meaning that to eat an additional 500 calories would require an increase in TDEE of 2000 calories. Noting of course that the TDEE calculation assumes an average amount of activity per week, not a precise measurement for the specific fast day. Still, there's nobody out there monitoring 5:2 compliance, so no reason not to change it to suit individual needs.

I see, that makes sense. Though all that matters is that you're in a calorie deficit, 5:2 is just another way of doing it, so I'd have thought that if you went by sedentary TDEE to work out your daily numbers and ate back whatever calories you burnt that day on the day then you should still lose. That's how I'd do it if I were doing 5:2, I think. As you say, there's no 5:2 police, so whatever works individually!
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited March 2015
    In general, you would eat your TDEE on feast days and 1/4 of that on fast days - so technically if you burn 500 extra calories on a fast day you would only eat 1/4 of that back, but why complicate things?

Say your TDEE is roughly 2400 calories this would make your fast days 600 calories and your feast days 2400 calories. Now it's not unheard of to "borrow" from feast days to complement fast days if you can't do 600. For example, you could eat 2000 on feast days (2400-400) and 1000 on fast days (600+400).

The whole point of 5:2 is to have days where you could eat a lot of stuff that you like. If you are happy, satisfied, and are eating everything you want (to a point) at 2000 calories (or whatever amount is left after you choose to borrow from your TDEE), then mission accomplished. Consider borrowing if fasting is too hard and feasting is too plentiful.
  • Hannahjane123456
    I am on my 2nd week of fasting. My fast days were Monday as i tend to eat crap over the weekend and a Wednesday or Thursday. I dont stick to the 500 cal as i fast on my gym days or the day after so i average 600, as my gym cal loss is around 1100 per session. On my none fast days i eat between 1200-1600 and i eat a well balanced diet so 800 is defiantly not enough to keep your body fueled. Sadly losing weight too quickly is not sustainable or healthy. You need to look at it as a lifestyle change as appose to a quick fix. Good luck

have u lost any weight from doing that?