Overnight weight gain?

Options
So last night I weighed myself because I bought a new scale, I weighed 179.8! Woo! But today I woke up, emptied my bladder and stepped on the scale... A ridiculous 183.6! What.! That's a 4pound gain and reverts me back two weeks! :( so discouraged..

Replies

• DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    It's just water weight, everyone fluctuates day to day, often up to 5lbs. It'll be gone in the next few days.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    all scales are not created equal, which is why general advice is to use the SAME scale in the SAME location.

or could be normal fluctuations. I doubt you ate enough to GAIN 4 pounds overnight!
  • jadezia
    jadezia Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Probably just water weight, don't be discouraged! Last Thursday I gained just over four pounds right before I started my monthly, and when I weighed myself this morning, I had lost it plus some. You're doing great! :D
  • Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Did you eat an extra 14,000 claories yesterday??? If not then it is water, or your new scale.
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    So last night I weighed myself because I bought a new scale, I weighed 179.8! Woo! But today I woke up, emptied my bladder and stepped on the scale... A ridiculous 183.6! What.! That's a 4pound gain and reverts me back two weeks! :( so discouraged..

Get use to it, weight loss is not linear at all!!!! once you can grasp this you'll be fine. You need to stay focused and consistent, it takes time! You've got this just keep at it!

• alyciamoyer5
    Options
    I don't eat after 6 pm, and when I weighed myself it was around 11pm, so I thought it'd be the same when I woke up.. It wasn't. I really hope you guys are right!
  • Kari121869
    Kari121869 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I get the same thing too - it's normal (which I have to 'remind' myself so I'm not discouraged lol). Now I can literally 'feel' when I'm bloated (water weight) in the morning - so I don't bother weighing in (even if it's my scheduled weigh in day) - I wait until I have a morning where I feel 'normal' or 'lighter'.. then I weigh in for the week.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    They're right. It happens allllll the time. Try to weigh at the same time every day in the same conditions so you get to see the patterns. Weight fluctuations happen a lot and are a normal part of weight loss patterns.
  • tumbledownhouse
    tumbledownhouse Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    don't worry weighing at night will always be heavier! I drive myself crazy with the scales sometimes, even on weeks where I've gone down a belt loop! Try not to take too much from it and maybe try weighing the same time of day once a week? Advice I wish I could take right there as I'm always hopping on the scales and huffing about it! Take measurements too :)
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    Always weigh yourself at the same time of day (preferably in the morning, after using the bathroom). Weight fluctuates.
  • alyciamoyer5
    Options
    No, no I did not have an extra 14,000 calories lol

• Paul_Collyer
    Paul_Collyer Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Weigh yourself every day, or most days, and track the trend. Simple!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Normal daily fluctuations.