Anyone feel like you're in on a big secret with MFP?

Options
1235»

Replies

• moto450
    moto450 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Even when people know about it many still don't lose weight because they don't use it properly, don't track food fully, weigh their food, etc. I think many people don't realize the whole calories in/calories out concept.
  • _QueenE_
    _QueenE_ Posts: 459 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Haha +1
  • tekkiechikk
    tekkiechikk Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    rybo wrote: »
    Everything that needed to be known about losing weight has been known for 100's of years. There is no secret here or anywhere else.

EXACTLY! And that is why so many people don't want to hear it. It's not shiny and new and controversial. Who wants to lose weight just like our grandmothers did??
  • Tubbs216
    Tubbs216 Posts: 6,597 Member
    Options
    I feel quite grateful to the girl who mentioned MFP to me when we were making polite conversation at an awkward work thing.
    I guess I was ready: 'When the student is ready, the master will appear' type of thing.
  • lewispwest
    lewispwest Posts: 498 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    10 million Android downloads, who knows how many from the App Store. Not really a secret.

Neater_9975.png

Sigh.
  • lewispwest
    Options
    My mum has got back on her diet this week but she won't do MFP, she's doing Lighter Life where you virtually starve yourself on milkshakes that cost an arm and a leg. I'm not going to put her off it since she needs to lose a lot of weight but it's daft she'd do that when she could just eat healthy portions of normal food.
  • dammitjanet0161
    dammitjanet0161 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    lewispwest wrote: »
    My mum has got back on her diet this week but she won't do MFP, she's doing Lighter Life where you virtually starve yourself on milkshakes that cost an arm and a leg. I'm not going to put her off it since she needs to lose a lot of weight but it's daft she'd do that when she could just eat healthy portions of normal food.

Totally agree with you OP. I think a lot of people associate calorie counting with obsessive behaviour and going round with a little calorie counting book like our mums did in the 1970s!

I keep quiet about MFP to most people mainly because I don't see myself as being on a diet, I prefer to think of it as knowing what my intake should be to lose and to maintain and using MFP to keep within those limits (or know how much I'm blowing the limits if I go out and let my hair down!).

Lighter Life is a bit of a bugbear of mine because I have a good friend who isn't very overweight but keeps yo-yoing back to it whenever she feels her weight has got out of hand. Not the intended target audience for a VLCD. She'll do LL for a few weeks and lose a stone or so then go back to her old way of eating and put it back on, rinse and repeat. It's her choice of course but I can't help thinking life would be easier without constantly veering between the two extremes.
  • lewispwest
    Options
    lewispwest wrote: »

Totally agree with you OP. I think a lot of people associate calorie counting with obsessive behaviour and going round with a little calorie counting book like our mums did in the 1970s!

I keep quiet about MFP to most people mainly because I don't see myself as being on a diet, I prefer to think of it as knowing what my intake should be to lose and to maintain and using MFP to keep within those limits (or know how much I'm blowing the limits if I go out and let my hair down!).

Lighter Life is a bit of a bugbear of mine because I have a good friend who isn't very overweight but keeps yo-yoing back to it whenever she feels her weight has got out of hand. Not the intended target audience for a VLCD. She'll do LL for a few weeks and lose a stone or so then go back to her old way of eating and put it back on, rinse and repeat. It's her choice of course but I can't help thinking life would be easier without constantly veering between the two extremes.

Yeah I asked her why she wasn't using MFP and she said "this way is quicker". That is a giant red flag right there. It's taken you years of bad behaviour to get yourself in this position so you aren't going to fix it all by starving yourself for three months.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I have a higher opinion of the general population. I don't think people are generally lazy and stupid. I mean I am one of them. Calorie counting for a day or so isn't so bad. Anyone can do it. But the prospect of recording for months on end? That's daunting. It's a major habit change and people are habitual creatures.

Take humour for instance. The best jokes aren't explained. The teller assumes a level of intelligence in the audience. We are generally smart people. We get it.

Even so, I don't share my weight loss knowledge unless specifically asked. Beat. Head. Wall.
  • LiveLoveRunFar
    LiveLoveRunFar Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    MFP reinforces what we all know about weight loss. Absent medical issues, people don't need a map for weight loss. But sometimes they don't want to put in the effort. MFP helps in that they see others succeeding, can get menus from others diaries to fit into their calorie goals, can get an idea of calorie burns for various activities, and get support from their MFP friends. That's what makes so many of us succeed, whereas if we didn't have MFP we might not be as motivated. ......the pill poppers, celulite erasing cream appliers, laxative lovers, and the one day diet wonders may not have found MFP yet? Or don't want to?
  • MrCoolGrim
    MrCoolGrim Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Some people just can handle the truth! It's not possible that something can be so easy as counting calories to lose weight.

giphy.gif