Nothing to do with dieting, has to do with pets

Options
Josalinn
Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member
edited March 2015 in Motivation and Support
I dropped my cat off at the vet this morning for dental surgery. He is 20 years old and I am worried that he won't wake up from the anesthesia. The vet said this has never happened to her, but I've had friends who have had pets that this has happened to. So I am a little stressed and anxious (although probably unwarranted) and could use some distraction. I've had him his entire life and he is just so old.

Sammy is the large kitty. Kitten (I know, so creative) is the smaller one and a little twit. She sits on him, licks him, and then bites him.
CxrERSe.jpg

Replies

• randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Aww I have a cat and would feel the same way. *hugs* Hope your baby pulls through. :)
  • Josalinn
    Options
    Thanks. And now I got the picture to work =)
  • suruda
    suruda Posts: 1,233 Member
    Options
    I can't see the picture. I love my kitties too...Sammy has had a good long life, hopefully with more to come. I've had to put 2 cats down one at 18, and one at 19. It's heartbreaking...I stayed with the 19 year old but didn't with the first one at 18 and I still regret that years later. I think they give us so much love, being there at the end is the least we can do. Now I have a park rescue...grumpy old lady. she loves me but pretty much growls at everyone else in the house. And a pound kitty who is about 3 years old (Winston) who is my love for sure! I've yet to have 2 cats who will hang out together though...that would make me happy!
  • suruda
    suruda Posts: 1,233 Member
    Options
    So cute!
  • Smash_Dub
    Smash_Dub Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Any animal procedures are nerve wracking! Maybe put in a gym session/run/exercise? It may seem hard now with everything on your mind, but I always find that it makes me feel better and clears my head.

I hope everything works out for your furbaby.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Sammy will probably come out fine. Trust your vet.
  • Josalinn
    Options
    Smash_Dub wrote: »
    Any animal procedures are nerve wracking! Maybe put in a gym session/run/exercise? It may seem hard now with everything on your mind, but I always find that it makes me feel better and clears my head.

I hope everything works out for your furbaby.

Unfortunately at work. I do get up and walk a lot though.

Lizzy622 wrote: »
    Sammy will probably come out fine. Trust your vet.

I am trying. This vet has been good so far. The last vet I had when I took him in for an abscess tooth the vet told me he would be dead in a year, with about that much bedside manner. This was about 5 years ago. So I have some trust issues.
  • starbucktigh
    starbucktigh Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Sending you pawsitive thoughts! As a fellow pet parent I know it can be so stressful, but try to stay calm :)
  • FitFitzy331
    FitFitzy331 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I have two girls from the same litter that turn 2yo next month. I had to get the girls fixed and just leaving them at the vet for that was heart breaking. I was told to leave them and come back after so I went shopping, got breakfast, made a few calls, just tried to keep myself occupied until they called to say they were fine and I could pick them up. Stay strong, I'll keep Sammy in my thoughts and hope that he pulls though just fine <3
  • Josalinn
    Options
    suruda wrote: »
    Now I have a park rescue...grumpy old lady. she loves me but pretty much growls at everyone else in the house. And a pound kitty who is about 3 years old (Winston) who is my love for sure! I've yet to have 2 cats who will hang out together though...that would make me happy!

Kitten is like a clingy girlfriend and Sammy tolerates her well. We rescued him from a group of kids when he was about four months old from a group of kids who had hurt his paw and had taken him out to a field for wild animals to eat. My mom forced them to retrieve him and give him to her. We bonded.

• 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Wishing Sammy a successful surgery and speedy recover. In the event that something does happen just remember that he had a wonderful long life with you an a painfree exit which is one of the best gifts we can give our pets <3
  • jadezia
    jadezia Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Oh my goodness, I can't imagine the anxiety you must be feeling. My cat is my world, and I would be an absolute wreck if she had to go through surgery. Sammy looks amazing for being twenty (your cat is the same age I am - good lord), so I'm sure he'll do wonderfully. Positive thoughts your way!!
  • aquamarina_182
    aquamarina_182 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I love my kitty too, I know how terrifying it can be to have them undergo anything like that. Sammy is adorable! and everything will be fine no worries :)
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    I have a dog and a cat and I would feel the same way about my furbabies. I'm sure Sammy will be just fine (and probably be more comfortable after the dental surgery/be able to eat better). Sending positive thoughts your way. <3
  • Josalinn
    Options
    alpine1994 wrote: »
    I have a dog and a cat and I would feel the same way about my furbabies. I'm sure Sammy will be just fine (and probably be more comfortable after the dental surgery/be able to eat better). Sending positive thoughts your way. <3

Yeah I know he will be happier. He has problems eating right now because of the pain in his mouth. Right now he is spoiled and gets fed 6 times a day. I feel bad though, he will have no canines after this.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    That's so awesome that you're being strong and doing the best thing for him even though it's scary and maybe a little risky. Sammy is lucky and he will adjust and he will really appreciate the lack of pain I'm sure :)
  • PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    Sending lots of hugs your way, I have two dogs and I know how scared you must be feeling. You're definitely doing the right thing for your kitty though, so he can eat without pain.
  • Josalinn
    Options
    So an update: Sammy did not end up going into surgery until 7:40 last night and I picked him up at 10. The vet had a couple of emergency surgeries and was down a tech, so dental surgery got pushed back. So since he got out so late, I had to stay up with him until 11:30 to make sure he didn't fall and hurt himself until the anesthesia wore off.

I gave him a little food which he devoured (he hadn't eaten in 24 hours) and proceeded to give him a little every 2 hours until 7 am when I heard him make the most awful noise while trying to pee. So I am calling the vet about that this morning. Bottom line though is surgery went well. Thanks for all the support!
  • kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel. We have a 14 year old Cocker Spaniel that needs dental work soon (just a cleaning, but needs to be put under) but we are afraid he won't make it. His back legs are going and his eye sight is bad, but funny thing is he still tries to run around like he's 2 years old again. We'll be thinking of your kitty and hope for a good recovery.
  • Josalinn
    Options
    I know how you feel. We have a 14 year old Cocker Spaniel that needs dental work soon (just a cleaning, but needs to be put under) but we are afraid he won't make it. His back legs are going and his eye sight is bad, but funny thing is he still tries to run around like he's 2 years old again. We'll be thinking of your kitty and hope for a good recovery.

My grandparents had 2 Cockers, Rusty and Oscar. He's doing fine now. Just got off the phone with the vet. The noises are normal for after anesthesia so I just have to keep an eye on him.

Ordeal over.