Does it not matter what you eat for weight loss and maintenance or is low carb better?

Options
Tatarataa
Tatarataa Posts: 178 Member
Hey,

I was wondering if it is better to eat low carb to lose weight and maintenance (a calorie is a calorie) or is it better to eat low carb?
Many thanks for your experience and advice!

Replies

• DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    A calorie is a calorie. If you particularly want to go for low carb for whatever reason then go for it, but (assuming you haven't got any sort of medical condition that might affect it) it's not necessary.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    No. It's all about calories in < calories out. If going low carb helps you keep to your deficit, then go ahead, but it isn't necessary unless for medical reasons.
  • rosnigetsfit
    rosnigetsfit Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    My diary composes of 50-60% carbs. I like carbs. It gives me energy, fuel up my body and keeps me full. I eat according to what my body needs no matter how big/small the calorie is.

Well.. It varies from person to person. You can do a little experiment then follow what you think shows good result. And of course, don't forget CICO.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    it absolutely, categorically does not matter

whatever you can stick to in terms of calorie defecit
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    A calorie is a calorie. If you particularly want to go for low carb for whatever reason then go for it, but (assuming you haven't got any sort of medical condition that might affect it) it's not necessary.
    This

I'd cry without my nightly carb fest.
  • aurorasiegel1
    Options
    I thought low carb would help me with faster weight loss but after tracking all my macros I realized I compensating with protein WAYYY too much. So I recommend eating what you normally do and keep track of the percentages then adjust accordingly, that way you're not changing your diet too much and you won't feel deprived.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    It matters, but only in the sense that some foods will fill you up and keep you feeling satiated throughout the day. Many people find fats and proteins satiating, and so low carb may work for them, but others feel more full or get more energy from carbs. You'll have to find what works for you.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    Nutritionally, it matters, but whatever will be sustainable for you.
    It is how you want to use your calorie allotment.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    overall, it really doesn't matter what you eat, as long as you eat at a deficit. however, if you eat healthy foods you will find it easier to maintain that deficit.

also, i've been reading about nutrient timing lately, and basically your body metabolizes carbs better early in the morning for use, and carbs consumed later at night tend to get stored as fat.
  • angieangie69
    angieangie69 Posts: 5 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I am actually doing low carb induction right now. However, I am doing it to jump start the weight loss, then I will go a bit higher on the carbs and only eat 'healthy carbs' such as fruits and whole grains. It's just a way to get my body away from my sugar/carb addiction. I have found so far it does help to rid me of bad habit cravings.
  • sgthaggard
    sgthaggard Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    For fat loss, no, it doesn't matter. Cutting carbs tends to 'jump start' weight loss because of an initial water loss as you lose glycogen in the muscles and liver. But, that will come back.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    sgthaggard wrote: »
    For fat loss, no, it doesn't matter. Cutting carbs tends to 'jump start' weight loss because of an initial water loss as you lose glycogen in the muscles and liver. But, that will come back.

This. So when you add back some carbs, don't be surprised when you see an increase on the scale.

• gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    You just have to experiment to see what sort of balance keeps you satisfied and feeling well nourished. Complex carbs seem to keep people full longer than simple ones.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Doesn't matter.

Eat the foods you love in moderation. Boom. Success.
  • Tatarataa
    Tatarataa Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for all your replies! Now I am really convinced that a calorie is a calorie and will just eat what I like in terms of weight loss!!