Hot yoga.. Does it help with weight loss?

Options
natalegreen2015
natalegreen2015 Posts: 33 Member
edited March 2015 in Getting Started
what is your take on hot yoga? Has any one been consistent? Is there great results or is it mostly just for flexibility? And does it actually help with weight loss?

Replies

• hilarymcm
    hilarymcm Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I don't know if it helps with weight loss, but I prefer classes with warm or hot rooms - I feel much less stiff and I'm able to maintain steadier, deeper breathing.
  • Altagracia220
    Altagracia220 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    This is just my opinion but: I personally have only gone to a few classes and I love it. It feels great. As for the weight loss, I think you'd really only be losing water weight with all that sweating.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    Your diet is the number one factor in terms of weight loss. That said, I love hot yoga, but I don't do it to lose weight; it doesn't burn as many calories as many are led to believe. I do it for stretching and flexibility.
  • racheljonel
    racheljonel Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I would really be surprised to find out that yoga burns a lot of calories...hot or otherwise.

I do love it, and do it more for the stretching/relaxing benefits of it.
  • yuyutu81
    yuyutu81 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Yoga will tone your body and make you feel more balanced physically and mentally. I love it and have tried all different forms of yoga. Can't get enough of it.
  • noclady1995
    noclady1995 Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    I did it for 5 months going 4-5 days a week. The classes weren't hot yoga, per se, but the instructor liked the room HOT and the classes were challenging to say the least. That said, I got more toned but didn't lose weight. I would burn about 160 calories in 1 hour. That's not much.
  • kjm3579
    kjm3579 Posts: 3,975 Member
    Options
    I did Bikram for almost a year and it helped a little for weight but mostly for flexibility and toning.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    It's not the calorie burn that helps you lose weight (with any kind of yoga).

I think it's stress reduction and body awareness that helps with weight loss.

http://www.livescience.com/35962-yoga-weight-loss.html
  • natalegreen2015
    natalegreen2015 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys for all your opinions! And stories