The Small Successes That Keep You Motivated

Options
I'm pretty sure the title is it!

Sometimes, for me anyways, it's hard to stay motivated when all I can think about is the big number I want to be rid of.

A small success that keeps my going is having my pants fit just a little looser then they did the week before.

Replies

• CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I never focused on any large number. I would lose weight a few pounds at a time. I thought I would srsly stop when I got under 200, 180, 165, 150, 140, and 135. Though now I am 134 and waffle about going to 130, but I look in the mirror and think I don't really need to lose more weight overall as much as I need to gain muscle. I'm working on that now.

Anyway, losing weight a few goal pounds at a time made the whole slog mentally much easier.
  • DearestWinter
    DearestWinter Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I used to go to the same clothing store each week and try on jeans. Each time I was able to fit into a smaller size I would do a mini dance of joy in the fitting room. Then I would leave without buying them.
    50452 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    My clothes fitting better. Not feeling bloated.
  • mymodernbabylon
    mymodernbabylon Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    For me it's the ability to lift heavier and run a bit faster as much as lose weight. I also like running out of clothing.
  • jskyjse
    jskyjse Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    -Same clothes, but they look a little better on me each week.
    -Someone commenting on my weight loss, or healthier appearance.
    -The running seems to be getting a little easier each time out.
  • Ellaskat
    Ellaskat Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    my goal was for my wedding ring to fit the way it did when i got married. my fingers had become little sausages. i'm super excited that the ring is finally starting to fit how i want it to:)
  • bigd66218
    bigd66218 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Take each day one at a time, set realistic goals for weight loss and celebrate the successes along the way.
  • MelissaH0910
    MelissaH0910 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    -I can lift heavier. Not much, mind you, but more & more each week.
    -The fat fold at the top of my knees is gone.
    -My legs & butt are noticeably firmer.
    -I'm starting to see definition in my arms & shoulders for the first time ever.
  • Steff46
    Steff46 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Clothes fitting better and being able to wear trendy things if I want to :)
  • holliesangel
    holliesangel Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I think my favorite one so far has been a funny one. I was out with some friends and one of them was poking everyone in the stomach. I was playing it up like it had hurt and he stops to say good job he can feel my ab muscle. It was hilarious and motivating.
  • iamchuckbass78
    iamchuckbass78 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    So far, feeling better. Not bloated, more energy, less overall sluggishness.
  • nivi_r
    nivi_r Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    - Drinking more water in a day
    - Number of calories burnt in the gym
    - no snack. This is a small victory in itself for me :-)
    -
    12061491.png
  • lborsato1
    lborsato1 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    It used to be the number on the scale going down, now it is the body fat % number going down....and that my clothes are all getting too big again..... OH yeah, and the muscle definition I am seeing !
  • Smallc10
    Smallc10 Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Going down a belt hole, being able to put my jeans on without doing the jean dance in the morning, being able to add 5 more pounds when I squat or deadlift - I've gotta take it one small step at a time
  • Browncoat_McNac
    Browncoat_McNac Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    My big success today came in 2 parts.. the first being that my 9 year old could fit his arms around me when he hugged me today (YAY!!) and second that I was worried all to hell about what that weird bump on my sides were.. until I realized it was a whole rib that I didnt remember I had that I could feel now. It's the little things!!
  • Sherriediva1
    Sherriediva1 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    since January- 216 to 194. but what's better? 3 inches lost in hips and 3 inches gone from my waist!!
  • kindrabbit
    kindrabbit Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    I can see my collar bones
    I can cross my legs without having to hold onto my ankle
    I don't have to buy wide fitting shoes any more
    I have to do the drawstring up in my workout leggings
    Me and my husband can both fit on the sofa for a snuggle
    I cant actually wear my wedding ring any more as it falls off. I'm saving up to get it resized.
    I can just about keep up with the other guys in my circuits class
    Other women at the gym asking me for workout tips and advice
    my 'gym husband' commenting that I look lean
  • lizzocat
    lizzocat Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    every time I can fit into something in my closet that I couldn't fit into before, and hitting fitness goals. Getting stronger / faster, not feeling out of breath when I'm walking up the stairs, it all keeps me motivated
  • arsimpson1
    arsimpson1 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I used to go to the same clothing store each week and try on jeans. Each time I was able to fit into a smaller size I would do a mini dance of joy in the fitting room. Then I would leave without buying them.

Love this! I need to do this.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,712 Member
    Options
    I can see my collar bones
    I can cross my legs without having to hold onto my ankle
    I don't have to buy wide fitting shoes any more
    I have to do the drawstring up in my workout leggings
    Me and my husband can both fit on the sofa for a snuggle
    I cant actually wear my wedding ring any more as it falls off. I'm saving up to get it resized.
    I can just about keep up with the other guys in my circuits class
    Other women at the gym asking me for workout tips and advice
    my 'gym husband' commenting that I look lean

Interesting! I'm aware of the "work husband", but what do you define as you"gym husband"? Just curious.