Compliments only please

Options
I am asking for posts or pics of something "great" about your gym (home gyms too)

At Lifetime Fitness they always strive to have new, cutting edge equipment, they have classic and trending classes and trainers have the latest information! In addition the gyms are spotless....busy, busy staff.

Replies

• jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    <--- my pic

I love my home gym. I love being able to crank my music really loud.

And I can workout sans bra/pants/whatever. But I feel my cat and dog judge me though (and my husband just laughs).
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Things I like about my home (basement) gym:
    • easy to get to, no parking issues
    • no shoes required
    • never have to wait for equipment
    • can leave my stuff strewn about as much as I want
    • can experiment and improvise with different exercises/equipment without looking like a doofus in public
    • workouts are often overseen by various My Little Ponies
    • 7 yo daughter can exercise with me (no young kids allowed in weight area at non-home gym)
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    It's always open
    There are no queues
    I can lift in my PJs
    I can fold laundry between sets
  • azwen
    azwen Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I go to an LA Fitness. I am motivated by being around other people getting fit. I sometimes get ideas for ways to change up my workouts. My trainer is great! People are friendly. It's five minutes from my house. There are classes that I enjoy (yoga, kickboxing, Zumba, etc.) - I still want to try a spin class.
  • branflakes1980
    branflakes1980 Posts: 2,516 Member
    Options
    My gym is .25 miles from my house. It is small, usually quiet, not horribly busy and the manager takes great care of it. I love my gym!
  • Katiebear_81
    Katiebear_81 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    It's in the building I work in and is free. There's no reason for me to not go. I like to go at lunch time and then have a super hot shower after - helps wake me up and keep me energized for the afternoon.
  • scottacular
    scottacular Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    My gym is so cold and looks really run down that it rarely attracts too many people. But it's actually really good and has loads of equipment. So I get the benefit of a really good but not overly busy gym. I hope they don't go out of business through lack of custom mind.
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    I LOVE Lifetime. I was a member for 1.5 yrs when I lived in Texas and I miss it so much. I moved to NJ and the closest one is 20 min away. A little too far for me. :( I just joined this great local gym 2 minutes away from my apartment. It's big and well laid-out. Each cardio machine has its own TV (important for me so I don't have to wear my glasses while I work out if I want to watch TV!) and they offer a gazillion group exercise classes at good times which is my favorite thing to do at the gym. They also have a dedicated spinning room and a spin class multiple times a day which is also important to me. Isn't insanely crowded at peak times and members are all really nice so far. I'm paying more than I ever thought I would for a gym membership but eh, everything is expensive in New Jersey!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    My gym has me in it.

Which there for make it awesome.
  • flabassmcgee
    flabassmcgee Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    I was deterred from going to Planet Fitness by folks here in the forum, but I took a peek at it because curiosity won out and I couldn't help but join. I really do like it there. They have 100x more equipment than my previous gym, it's huge, it's clean, everyone is so courteous and helpful and never weirdly leery like some people were at my old gym. It's cheaper, too.

I have heard the dreaded lunk alarm. And set it off myself by mistake. But I haven't gotten any flack yet, so I'm happy. :smile: Different strokes for different folks, I guess.
  • paulawatkins1974
    paulawatkins1974 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I was deterred from going to Planet Fitness by folks here in the forum, but I took a peek at it because curiosity won out and I couldn't help but join. I really do like it there. They have 100x more equipment than my previous gym, it's huge, it's clean, everyone is so courteous and helpful and never weirdly leery like some people were at my old gym. It's cheaper, too.

I have heard the dreaded lunk alarm. And set it off myself by mistake. But I haven't gotten any flack yet, so I'm happy. :smile: Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

What's a lunk alarm? And do they really give free pizza?
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options

An alarm that they ring when someone is being too awesome for them.
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    Options
    B)
    alpine1994 wrote: »
    I LOVE Lifetime. I was a member for 1.5 yrs when I lived in Texas and I miss it so much. I moved to NJ and the closest one is 20 min away. A little too far for me. :( I just joined this great local gym 2 minutes away from my apartment. It's big and well laid-out. Each cardio machine has its own TV (important for me so I don't have to wear my glasses while I work out if I want to watch TV!) and they offer a gazillion group exercise classes at good times which is my favorite thing to do at the gym. They also have a dedicated spinning room and a spin class multiple times a day which is also important to me. Isn't insanely crowded at peak times and members are all really nice so far. I'm paying more than I ever thought I would for a gym membership but eh, everything is expensive in New Jersey!

Yeah Lifetime Fitness is fabulous huh...you have to experience it - it can't be described. I have only been a member for two years but for twenty five years before that I was a member of Healthtrax...they are an awesome fitness facility too. I hope you enjoy your new gym!

• urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    Options

I know many, many people who love, love, love Planet Fitness!

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    I like mine because I can go to anyone in the country anytime...makes working out when traveling a lot better...
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    My general population gym has a real honest to goodness lifting platform complete with bumper plates, a prowler sled and and area to push it and 3 power racks that would be at home in an NFL weight room.
  • foxingbird
    Options
    I'm a member at Anytime Fitness and I just love the general atmosphere and attitude there. It has a good mix of people just getting going, and gym rats who've been there for years. The staff is very friendly and helpful - I was super nervous about going in to sign up because I'm just really self-conscious but I feel really comfortable there.
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    My Pain Cave

AA79267B-2CD4-43B0-B037-BC57C1C64393_zpsfngxnfjx.jpg

Open 24/7. Music is always what I want to hear. The TV always shows what I want to see.
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    What I find great about my home gym is that I can be alone there without distractions from other people or things. Also, I don't have to worry about sweaty/dirty equipment. It's also extremely convenient since I spend most of time at home as it is.
  • flabassmcgee
    flabassmcgee Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    randomtai wrote: »

An alarm that they ring when someone is being too awesome for them.

lol Yeah. They ring it if you make too much noise with the weights, basically.

I haven't been a member long enough to eat the bagels and the pizza. Not sure if I'm interested, really.