i am addicting to weighing myself

Options
I don't know about anyone else, but I am constantly weighing myself throughout the day and it determines how much I eat. It's terrible, but I really can't help it .

=/

Replies

• Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    Get rid of the scale. You'll make yourself crazy!
  • sarahs440
    sarahs440 Posts: 405
    Options
    STOP!!! haha. Dont weigh yourself throughout the day! If you have to weigh yourself, do it once a day, first thing in the morning, before you eat anything. If you drink 90 ounces of water, you will weigh that much more until it flushes out. Same with the food you eat. Dont make yourself crazy! Good luck to you!
  • BodyUnderConstruction
    BodyUnderConstruction Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Make it a ritual to weigh yourself once a week. I used to do the same thing.
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily but only log my weight every few months ...
  • Jenn070608
    Jenn070608 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    You really have to try to stop weighing in so often. Once a week is more than enough. Make sure it is in the morning before food or drink. It can become addicting and make you crazy!!
  • laceylovespink
    Options
    me too! I tried taking my scales and LEAVING them at the gym but that only lasted a week. When I don't pay attention to the scales is when I really pile on the pounds because I know I won't be looking. At night I like to weigh and subtract two pounds because for me I always weigh 2 less in the morning (I don't lose 2 pounds a day, it just shows 2 less from what it does at night if that makes sense)...and if I am having a weak moment I go jump on just to remind myself that I'm doing good and to hang in there. For some people it's a bad thing but I have found for me that I need it, like a tiny pat on the back....do what works for you but know you aren't alone :) I weigh from 2-4 times a day...at the gym, at work...wherever there's a scale bahahaha
  • Terriwin
    Terriwin Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I don't know. I was initially disturbed by my addiction to getting on the scale, but now I just do it and go about my business. It keeps me grounded and makes me think twice about grabbing something unhealthy to throw in my mouth (my old addiction), so I don't worry about it anymore.

I've just learned to expect the fluctuations and not drive myself crazy if there is a gain- fluctuation is just the normal process.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,054 Member
    Options
    accidentally spill a Brita pitcher on your digital scale. Worked for me :ohwell:
  • katana73
    katana73 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    That is makes for a very difficult and daunting journey. Not to menton it messes with your head. Aim to start weighing only once a week, first thing in the morning. You may want to work on your self - talk :-) Good luck!
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    Try and look at it this way... You can weigh YOURSELF in the morning, after you've been to the toilet and before you've eaten anything or had a drink.

After that, you're NOT addicted to weighing YOURSELF, you're addicted to weighing yourself PLUS all of the food and drink you have eaten so far during that day, minus any pee or poo you excrete, which is utterly pointless.

Even more pointless is deciding how much to eat that day on the basis of how heavy you are after lunch. So, you'll punish yourself for eating large portions of nice healthy (but heavy) fruit and vegetables and reward yourself for being "light" after eating five bags of (lightweight) chips - put like that, can you see how crazy that is?
  • bonjour24
    bonjour24 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    i am quite bad- i usually weigh morning and night. i know it's stupid, but that's the curse of having a scale in the house!

BUT......... the morning weigh in really motivates me to exercise! which may sound odd, but my journey here is about improving fitness not losing weight. and at the moment i REALLY want to see the scale drop from 93.something to 92.9kgs by the end of the week! that helps me to work out harder and achieve my fitness goals.

and the evening weigh in is just habit really, but i do get a buzz out of seeing my highest weight at the end of the day drop!

so i don't use it as a negative thing. and i'm not obsessed. i don't get sad when it shows a huge gain at night.
  • JenInAustin
    JenInAustin Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    i LOVE the idea of getting rid of the scale. Give it to a friend or neighbor for a few weeks til the "spell" is broken :)
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    the morning weigh in really motivates me to exercise! which may sound odd, but my journey here is about improving fitness not losing weight. and at the moment i REALLY want to see the scale drop from 93.something to 92.9kgs by the end of the week! that helps me to work out harder and achieve my fitness goals.
    I weigh myself every morning, and also find it motivating. I think that some people, like you, can weigh themselves a lot and yet have a perfectly healthy relationship with their scales. :smile:
  • JD92
    JD92 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    i too am addicted, its near become a reflex whenever im in the bathroom :laugh: its not that i obsess over the number, its just curiousity really. im interested in what causes my weight to fluctuate over time and it means i can find out what causes really large jumps. this whole journey involves me learning about my own body.

a few times when i am desperate for to pee, i weigh myself before and then after out of curiosity too. theres sometimes a 1lb drop or more. :laugh: its just for giggles tho. ive learnt that when i drink 3 pints of water in quite quick succession, as i often do, ill shoot up 3lbs - 1 per glass. then ill go the bathroom about 3 times in the following hour or two LOL its all about learning right?
  • abrand7
    abrand7 Posts: 11
    Options
    I am the same way, but I don't beat myself up when I see it higher during the day. Typically I use it as motivation to make better choices when I'm eating. My scale is in the kitchen so I get on the scale before picking something to eat just to remind myself of the progress I've made and to help make a healthier choice. I know that sounds odd, but it works for me! =)
  • ChrisMarie118
    Options
    don't do it multiple times a day, what your food weighs when it enters your body doesn't mean that's what you will automatically gain, plus your work clothes/shoes are going to add up too. Remember your weight is going to fluctuate throughout the day.
    I weigh myself every morning before I get dressed or eat breakfast.
  • messyhare
    messyhare Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I have been addicted myself and was weighing myself constantly. I had to break myself of it and chose this month to do it. I have not weighed myself since the last day in April.

I try to talk myself into it every morning but so far so good!

I can't wait for June 1st!

If you could put your scale somewhere to take a bit of a break and then try to only weigh weekly it would be much better for you.