(Guys Only Please) - Yoga

Options
I never really have given Yoga a second thought. First, I see no males in the yoga classes offered at the gym at all. Second, I never saw the benefit except to achieve a zen like state as you balance on one leg.

However, now that I have a better understanding of strength training, I see how much Yoga is about flexibility, balance, and strengthening. I ended up seeing an infomercial at the gym that was pitching Yoga for men which I thought was unique.

I was thinking of trying it, but was wondering what experiences other men have had. Was it worth it? What benefit you have gotten out of it? Is it part of an overall routine?

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Replies

• JohnBarth
    JohnBarth Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I did a bit of running in the past and always ended up with severe shin splints. After ruling out a stress fracture, it was determined that I was suffering from a general lack of flexibility. Yoga was advised. My wife has a beginner yoga DVD from Weight Watchers. I watched to familiarize myself with the plan and thought, "That doesn't look too hard." Heaped over in a pile of sweat and huffing and puffing after the 20 minute routine told me otherwise. I haven't done as much yoga recently as I'd like, but it certainly does help in many areas, as the strength and balance will improve just about everything you do.
  • christopherlee147
    christopherlee147 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I do yoga 2-3 times per week. It's worth every second, you get to stretch and strengthen areas of your body you didn't even know existed. In all seriousness though, it's a great way to increase flexibility, strengthen all those stabilizing muscles that may be neglected, and ultimately avoid injury.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I am not a male, but there are lots that take it at the classes I used to go to.

It's a great strength builder, and a nice way to relax.

And I am out now.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Definitely worth it. Another ones of those things I should do more often.
  • GI_John_RN
    GI_John_RN Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    It Is a great tool for core strength and flexibility.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I think it is an invaluable tool. I am always the only male in the classes though. That sucks. I have started doing it at home though on days in between my harder workouts. The benefits are flexibility, balance and strength for me. It allows me to have better form when I am doing other workouts. I really think the best scenario for fitness is a mix of cardio, strength and balance/stretching.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Love it. Haven't been to class in a while. There were usually 3-4 guys in each class
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    I do a yoga class once a week. It kicks my *kitten*. I find it really helps keep me loose given all the other stuff I do.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    My brother, who's a lifelong gym rat and is into martial arts and tennis, LOVES hot yoga and has been doing it at least once a week for five years. He likes it because he gets benefits in terms of balance. But I think mostly because it chills him out
  • 4thDegreeKnight
    4thDegreeKnight Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Excellent. Thank you for all the feedback.
  • yuyutu81
    yuyutu81 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Guys...we need more of you in the class! It is a full body workout and will definitely makes you stronger more aware of your body.