Lift through it?

Options
I slipped on ice when I arrived at the gym parking lot yesterday, foot slipped out from under me and I slammed my shoulder into the door of my jeep. It hurt like heck, but didn't swell. I pushed through the pain and did my lifting workout anyways last night, but i'm even more sore today. Just wondering what your thoughts are, should I skip the next couple workouts till the soreness eases or do I just keep pushing past the pain and lifting regardless. The part of my arm that hurts is back shoulder at the joint where my arm joins my body. What would you do?

Replies

• 30mphmike
    30mphmike Posts: 28
    Options
    How is the jeep? ..lol--JK I would take a couple days off most people over train and resting is always beneficial!!
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    At a minimum I would put all upper body work and deadlifting (if you do) on hold for now. Squat at most, core work that doesn't engage the shoulder much. My real answer is something that most people don't want to hear would be to take 2 or 3 days off, use ice, and anti-inflammatory. Running, walking, should be fine if you do that. Taking a couple days off isn't enough to induce de-training. Take the time to heal so nothing gets worse and you can get back in healthy soon enough. ;)
  • Lovefastball99
    Lovefastball99 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Sam_I_Am77 wrote: »
    At a minimum I would put all upper body work and deadlifting (if you do) on hold for now. Squat at most, core work that doesn't engage the shoulder much. My real answer is something that most people don't want to hear would be to take 2 or 3 days off, use ice, and anti-inflammatory. Running, walking, should be fine if you do that. Taking a couple days off isn't enough to induce de-training. Take the time to heal so nothing gets worse and you can get back in healthy soon enough. ;)

This is what I would do. And I would hate every second of it :neutral_face:

• lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    Sam_I_Am77 wrote: »

I concur with this.
    I also hope you mentioned something to the gym so they can put some ice melt of sand out there.
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,323 Member
    Options
    whatatime wrote: »
    I slipped on ice when I arrived at the gym parking lot yesterday, foot slipped out from under me and I slammed my shoulder into the door of my jeep. It hurt like heck, but didn't swell. I pushed through the pain and did my lifting workout anyways last night, but i'm even more sore today. Just wondering what your thoughts are, should I skip the next couple workouts till the soreness eases or do I just keep pushing past the pain and lifting regardless. The part of my arm that hurts is back shoulder at the joint where my arm joins my body. What would you do?

I am not a doctor but I would stop and let myself heal and then go back to my work out. If the pain persists see a doctor.

• DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    I'd just work out as normal unless there were clear signs of actual injury (outside of bruising). That's me though. Real, shooting pain when working through ROM would stop me though.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    At some point you have to decide if it's injured or just hurt/sore. If injured, go get it looked at. If hurt/sore, do as much as you feel comfortable and safe doing. Don't lay under the bar for a heavy bench if your shoulder is too sore to support it.
  • whatatime2befit
    whatatime2befit Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the responses! I'll still head to the gym tonight, and will see how it feels then. If it's still paining, i'll work on legs/core and will pass on the lifts (or maybe just use lighter weights).

As for
    30mphmike wrote: »
    How is the jeep? ..lol--JK
    The Jeep is fine. Is it bad that the jeep was my first worry after wiping out?