Brocolli Vs Asparagus

Options
2 of my daily meals are chicken breast with a little over a cup of brocolli. I see a lot of ppl eat asparagus and was wondering if there's much of a nutritional difference or is it mostly a 'preference' thing? Any alternatives to brocolli out there? I don't mind it, but just incase I'd want to mix it up a bit. Thanks.

Replies

• rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    Asparagus is much more expensive where I come from. Broccoli is much cheaper and more available. Even frozen asparagus is twice the price. You can buy a lot of frozen veggie mixes that have broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, peapods, and the like and have that with your chicken.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,643 Member
    Options
    cauliflower is also a good sub for broccoli.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    To me asparagus is better in season, as the taste varies a lot more than broccoli. However, you should never think of veggies as identifying the one best one. It's probably ideal to get a good variety. So eat broccoli but also try other veggies and work the ones you like into your rotation.

As far as alternatives/additions, I really like spinach, zucchini and yellow squash, winter squash, cauliflower, Brussels sprouts, endive, radicchio, carrots, turnips, fennel, cabbage, bok choi, and plenty of others. Just look around and try the ones that appeal.
  • maroonmango211
    maroonmango211 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    To me asparagus is better in season, as the taste varies a lot more than broccoli. However, you should never think of veggies as identifying the one best one. It's probably ideal to get a good variety. So eat broccoli but also try other veggies and work the ones you like into your rotation.

I love asparagus, I really like broccoli too, along with many many other vegetables. Variety is great for getting all your nutrients as well as to not get too bored, I would go crazing having either of them day after day.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I love asparagus! And since it isn't as widely available as broccoli all year long, I tend to eat a lot of it during the spring when it's in season. Same with artichokes. I am blessed to live in California, where so much of the world's food is grown (although with our severe drought and water restrictions to farmers, things are going to get ugly and prices are going to go up everywhere as availability goes down), and fresh veggies are abundant at good prices.

Oh yeah, sugar snap peas are another favorite to add to dishes or eat raw. Thankfully I can grown those in my garden in spring. One of these years I am going to try growing asparagus.
  • serenity1097
    serenity1097 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    For me it's a no brainer...love, love, love asparagus & couldn't dislike broccoli any more if I tried.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,643 Member
    Options
    I like to eat asparagus when I'm in ketosis so I can properly mark my territory...
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

As far as alternatives/additions, I really like spinach, zucchini and yellow squash, winter squash, cauliflower, Brussels sprouts, endive, radicchio, carrots, turnips, fennel, cabbage, bok choi, and plenty of others. Just look around and try the ones that appeal.

This. And I find I like my veggies better roasted. Stuff I never even thought about roasting (like cabbage) is awesome roasted. I had steamed asparagus at my boyfriend's mom's house, and it was so disappointing. But tonight I'm looking forward to the asparagus because I'm roasting it and the ends will get all crispy.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    I usually only eat asparagus when it's in season, because it's at its best and less expensive then. As was said upthread, it's best not to compare veggies. Just try to eat as many different kinds as your taste buds will allow.

Try experimenting with different veggies and different preparation methods like roasting and stir-frying. With stir fries, I particularly like combining several veggies, like cabbage, onions, and red peppers.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    asparagus when I have the choice/on sale- I rarely buy broccoli- but I do eat it in the California blend veggies.
  • MisRka
    MisRka Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Eat all the veggies! As others have pointed out veggies taste better while they are in season. Also veggies taste waaaay better when they are seasoned with salt and pepper and maybe some lemon :)
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Asparagus - I'm so over broccoli, I can't tell you. Would have brussel sprouts instead, though, love those.
  • Tim_CNY
    Tim_CNY Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I like both, though I tend to only get asparagus when it's in season from a local farm. Also, broccoli doesn't make your pee smell as badly as asparagus does.
  • Pupslice
    Pupslice Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    _John_ wrote: »
    I like to eat asparagus when I'm in ketosis so I can properly mark my territory...

LOLOLOLOL
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    Grilled/roasted asparagus when the ends get just a little crispy, but it only works with fresh. When it's frozen season, broccoli is more versatile. Not really a nutritional difference, but definitely a convenience one in the winter.
  • kamakazeekim
    kamakazeekim Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    _John_ wrote: »

This made me LOL. I love asparagus and broccoli! Add some salt and pepper after it has been either steamed or lightly sauteed and you're good to go! I could never stick to just one veggie...I'd get way to bored...I try to get all my colors in :) Today so far has been pea pods, celery, and red raddishes. Tonight I'm making a stir-fry with mushrooms, broccoli, asparagus, cauliflower, squash and zucchini mixed with a roast that I cut into strips.
  • tat2cookie
    tat2cookie Posts: 1,902 Member
    Options
    Asparagus is free for me, but that's because we go pick it when it's in season. We can fill 3 bags full and will be good for the year! I'm hoping to go this weekend!!
    I love broccoli too!!!
  • Ilikelamps
    Ilikelamps Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    one makes your urine smell, the other makes your crap smell..pick your poison
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,671 Member
    Options
    I love both but broccoli doesn't make my pee smell awful so it wins out. (Apparently the pee thing doesn't happen to everyone. Who knew?)

Don't even get me started on beets. Every time I eat them I have that moment of panic in the bathroom when I wonder if I'm dying of bladder cancer or something.

Sorry. TMI. Carry on.
  • brynnsmom
    brynnsmom Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    Asparagus I love but it is definitely expensive at times. Broccoli is pretty much cheap year round and high in vitamin C. I roast broccoli (and all my veggies, really) in the oven and it's delicious!