Brocolli Vs Asparagus

Options

Replies

• CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I like to eat both. But I am also the unfortunate carrier of the gene that allows you to smell if you have eaten asparagus in urine and that is quite nasty. Heh...

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/ist/?next=/science-nature/why-asparagus-makes-your-urine-smell-49961252/
  • djprice_69
    djprice_69 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    _John_ wrote: »
    I like to eat asparagus when I'm in ketosis so I can properly mark my territory...

Best post ever.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    CrabNebula wrote: »
    I like to eat both. But I am also the unfortunate carrier of the gene that allows you to smell if you have eaten asparagus in urine and that is quite nasty. Heh...

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/ist/?next=/science-nature/why-asparagus-makes-your-urine-smell-49961252/

it's science- and it's awesome.

hits me about 30-45 min after- it's QUICK!
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

I timed it yesterday. It's faster than that! 15 minutes. I think that was a new PB.

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

I timed it yesterday. It's faster than that! 15 minutes. I think that was a new PB.

I've never timed it- I just know I eat- and when I pee next it happens- but I rarely pee immediately after eating- I'm so timing it next time!! That is crazy quick!
  • revmod
    revmod Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Broccoli's success as a grocery store item is overwhelmingly its hardiness. It travels very well, and the flavour of store-bought broccoli in February in Edmonton is almost indistinguishable from freshly grown and prepared-immediately-after-picking from my own garden.

Asparagus, during the five weeks from the end of May to the beginning of July when it's locally available, is my single favourite food of all time, and deserves to be lightly steamed and eaten within hours of cutting it, if possible. Forty-seven weeks of the year, I couldn't be bothered - it's expensive and woody and too old by the time it gets to the grocery.
  • betuel75
    betuel75 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    can you freeze fresh asparagus for later on in the year or will it have freezer burns and taste bad/bad texture?
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Asparagus and broccoli are both great, but variety is key. Asparagus is more expensive and spoils easily, so I usually go for broccoli or some other sturdy vegetable.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options

This counts as a NSV...congrats!

• revmod
    revmod Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    We freeze it raw, before it gets too old. It's not great straight up afterward, but is a good ingredient into soups, quiches, that sort of thing. Basically the same places you might add broccoli pieces. :smile:
  • kozinskey
    kozinskey Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    BinkyBonk wrote: »
    Don't even get me started on beets. Every time I eat them I have that moment of panic in the bathroom when I wonder if I'm dying of bladder cancer or something.

Sorry. TMI. Carry on.

And then there was the time I ate beets the day before a marathon. After the race I went to the bathroom and actually thought I was dying. Never again.
  • Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I will choose either. I just sort of mix it up a little. I like most kinds of veggies though so I tend to get the ones in season if I can.
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    betuel75 wrote: »
    can you freeze fresh asparagus for later on in the year or will it have freezer burns and taste bad/bad texture?

I've tried a few times, and tried pre-frozen asparagus from the store. It's always gone a little slimy, even though we cook it the same way as fresh. If I wanted it to cut into small pieces and mix into something else, it might work, but not for eating as-is.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    Broccoli as asparagus is usually too expensive for me.
  • db34fit69
    db34fit69 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Asparagus season almost here! Nothing better than a huge plate full of white asparagus, boiled potatoes, schnitzel, and hollandaise sauce, it screams SPRINGTIME!

Brandenburg-Beelitz-Schaepe-Josef-Jakobs-Spargelhof-Spargel-Kartoffeln-Schnitzel.jpg
  • tat2cookie
    tat2cookie Posts: 1,902 Member
    Options
    I've always just blanched mine. Keeps it green, and from getting weird in the freezer.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    Asparagus, broccoli, and brussel sprouts are three of my favorite vegetables, but ONLY if they are cooked right! So many people can kill them by boiling the flavor right out of them. I've never tried roasting broccoli before, but always roast asparagus and brussel sprouts.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Asparagus, broccoli, and brussel sprouts are three of my favorite vegetables, but ONLY if they are cooked right! So many people can kill them by boiling the flavor right out of them. I've never tried roasting broccoli before, but always roast asparagus and brussel sprouts.

Roasted broccoli is awesome! It gets super crispy, and so good!
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I eat heaps of both but asparagus can get really spendy, so I only eat it in season, when I eat broccoli year round. But I eat a really wide variety of vegies.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I prefer broccoli