Need some sautéed veggie help!

Options
Amalaytal
Amalaytal Posts: 9 Member
Anyone have some ideas on how to spice up my veggies? Mostly peppers, onions and mushrooms is what I need help with, i eat a lot of that combination. I'm trying to cut carbs so veggies have to become my best friend;) thanks MFP ppl!

Replies

• JohnBarth
    JohnBarth Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    McCormick spices does a caribbean jerk seasoning that's quite good. A bit of spice without a ton of salt. Chef Paul Prudhomme's Vegetable Magic is also a good seasoning but has a bit more salt.

I've tried some no-salt blends, but they all taste artificial to me.

Depending on your carb level, we'll sometimes add a container of no-sugar added peaches to a pepper/onion mixture and often add some diced jalapeno. It's a nice spicy/sweet side.

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Garlic & grated ginger are yummy.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Look for hot chili oil (usually in the Asian food section).
  • njfitnessmom
    njfitnessmom Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I like garlic and olive and some salt and pepper for sauteed veggies...and balsamic vinegar. I have a little olive oil shop near me where I like to buy the flavored balsamic vinegars. If you like green beans, I like to do them with some olive oil and sun-dried tomatoes. I also like brussel sprouts with fig balsamic vinegar and frozen peaches. Hope that gives you some ideas.
  • TayzerFun
    TayzerFun Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I eat that combo a lot myself and enjoy Mrs. Dash Italian blend with it. Or I put in a small spoonful of pesto. Here's an easy recipe- I slice up some zucchini length-wise, saute that then add the onion, bell pepper and mushrooms. Season with the Mrs. Dash Italian blend. Put that into an "italian quesadilla" with a tiny bit of the pesto, and a little mozzarella cheese. Toast it up. I've been eating that for lunch for several days. Since you're cutting carbs, you can skip the tortilla and make this with some spaghetti squash instead too, as a pasta. :)
  • karebear111
    karebear111 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    A little garlic salt or parmesan cheese is great! Mrs. Dash is a good option too. I also like to add greek seasoning or even Old Bay seasoning.
  • debubbie
    debubbie Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    Ancho or chipolte chile powder, or Mrs. Dash's seasonings can help add flavor to veggies.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Last night I had green beans with garlic, olive oil, salt, and red pepper flakes. It's fantastic. My go-to spices are typically garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and pepper (although I typically roast my veggies).
  • Canuckgirl77
    Canuckgirl77 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I roast my veggies with just olive oil, salt and pepper. Every time I bring this to work people ooh and aah over the smell. You can also use prepared spices such as Mrs.Dash - there's a whole line of different flavour profiles. The other thing I like to use is Italian seasoning. It's usually a mix of oregano, thyme and rosemary (I think).
  • susansmoaks
    susansmoaks Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I spray the pan and sauté without any spices, I enjoy it just like that.
  • tat2cookie
    tat2cookie Posts: 1,902 Member
    Options
    I love Kale, onions, peppers, Mushrooms, Brussel sprouts and sweet potatos. I cook a big batch and leave it plan then I season it when I reheat it for what ever dish I'm making. I love jerk seasoning, Rosemary with garlic and some times just mrs dash.
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I just made some Piri Piri Mushrooms they were smoky in flavor. Delicious!

soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2015/03/piri-piri-mushrooms.html

Piri%2BPiri%2BMushrooms.jpg
  • sdado1013
    sdado1013 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    onion powder, garlic powder, pepper,
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Chinese five spice.
  • Amalaytal
    Amalaytal Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much!! My tastebuds will love you guys for it;)
  • streamgirl
    streamgirl Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind that veggies also don't have to be a traditional "side". I don't know if this is quite what you are after but I read somewhere that a lot of cultures use meat more as a flavoring than as a main dish. That's led me to re-think some dishes. That combo sounds great with a little meat as fajitas, or with eggs in an omelet. Just last night we cooked a little quinoa, added the veggies we had on hand, and a little cheese. You could throw in any leftover meat, too. It was really good and calculated out at about 400 cals a serving, so not too bad, and lower carb.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    1- Braggs Aminos (like soy sauce but without the wheat) and Frank's Chili & Lime Hot sauce.
    2- I also vote for Chinese 5 spice powder which even works well if you add shrimp or prawns to the dish.
    3- Or for a totally different flavour Epicure Spices 'Cheese, Chives, & Bacon Dip Mix', or
    4- their Sansel Chili & Lime seasoning.
    5- Try dryfrying cumin seeds first then do veggies and add fresh cilantro leaves at the very end when you take it off the heat.
  • rslellip
    rslellip Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    JohnBarth wrote: »
    McCormick spices does a caribbean jerk seasoning that's quite good. A bit of spice without a ton of salt. Chef Paul Prudhomme's Vegetable Magic is also a good seasoning but has a bit more salt.

I've tried some no-salt blends, but they all taste artificial to me.

Depending on your carb level, we'll sometimes add a container of no-sugar added peaches to a pepper/onion mixture and often add some diced jalapeno. It's a nice spicy/sweet side.

• I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    Curry powder is good if you're looking for something different. Also, grilling veggies takes them to a whole new level.