Not forever... just a day

Options
Nuka_Gina
Nuka_Gina Posts: 92 Member
Well… in comparison to other days, today hasn’t been that bad, and I’ve managed to exercise. I also had kind of a mini-self-epiphany.

A little over five years ago I quit smoking (yay!) but I didn’t do it in a conventional way. I kept a pack an unopened pack of smokes in my purse for well over a year. I’d found in the past, when I just decided to quit and then threw everything out, that I felt like I wanted one more because I deprived myself of it. So, keeping the pack on me made me feel as though each day (or hour in the beginning) was my personal choice and I had the option. Quitting smoking was definitely hard, but this weight loss stuff has been even more difficult.

Today I decided not to make huge “lifestyle” changes that feel really overwhelming. I’m not looking at a decade down the road. I’m just going to look at today. I believe that I can do anything if it only lasts a day. I’ll eat healthier today, because tomorrow I can indulge, if I want to, but I know that I won’t because I’ll renew the promise to myself each morning. The promise is to exercise a little bit, to make good food decisions, and to take time to enjoy what I’m eating and not sitting in front of the ______ (insert electronic device). A lot of these principals have been shown to work from reading other blogs, but having a lifetime of changes feels really intimidating… so small changes, daily things, totally do-able.

Replies

• wathjo1
    wathjo1 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    whatever keep you motivated :smile:
  • Nuka_Gina
    Options
    Thank you wathjo1!
  • missjelly20
    missjelly20 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    That's the best way to do it. One day at a time. :) I like your thinking.
  • Nuka_Gina
    Options
    Thanks missjelly20, I really appreciate that :)

Sometimes, especially at work, snacking can be almost frustrating so I have a little snack drawer now packed with healthy options and I'm hoping that helps. Little steps, lol.
  • carimiller7391
    carimiller7391 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    That's the perfect attitude to have. One day at a time and if that seems to be to much, take it one meal at a time. (I know I do).
  • missjelly20
    missjelly20 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way with snacks. I have to eat constantly (my exercise routine requires it). It sounds like you're doing everything very logically!!
  • Nuka_Gina
    Options
    I'm so appreciate of my coworker Anna who referred me to MFP. The community here is just amazing and sooo incredibly supportive!