Fitbit possibly suggests more active than thought?

Options
I have been using a Fitbit Charge HR daily for 2.5 weeks. On my days that I do not actually exercise I still get an average daily caloric adjustment of 300 calories. I have my settings at sedentary but notice that the calorie jump from sedentary to lightly active is about 200 calories. Should I adjust my activity level to lightly active since I seem to be having consistent positive adjustments?

I have a desk job, but in the evening I'm pretty much on my feet all night running after my kids.

Replies

• StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    It kind of works out the same. Sedentary & more calorie adjustment, or lightly active and none. Depends on your preferences.

For me, I want to be at least lightly active - so I've set to lightly active and then I'm careful to move enough to at least meet that burn level.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    As long as you have negative adjustments enabled its a matter of choice as the fitbit will automatically adjust it
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Eg I stray at sedentary and know I need at least 2500-4000 steps to hit sedentary but by 10,000 I've generally earned an extra 350-400 calories
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    Do you have negative adjustments on. Then set MFP to what ever you prefer.

I set mine to sedentary because most days I sit around a lot but even in those days I normally get a positive adjustment.

So I'm not sedentary enough, but I also don't think I'm lightly active. So I let fit bit go to town and adjust it. Adjusting up seems more positive/motivating.
  • jessjess210
    jessjess210 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I initially had it set on sedentary and was getting big adjustments. I changed it to lightly active so that I could better plan out my meals and have less of an adjustment
  • mom2ava07
    mom2ava07 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    No, I don't have negative adjustments enabled but need to allow them if I change my activity.

I haven't been eating any of my Fitbit calories earned because I'm not sure if I trust it yet. Sounds wonky but thinking I would feel more ok eating more if I started the day with more versus adding them. Needing to transition to maintenance anyway.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    mom2ava07 wrote: »
    No, I don't have negative adjustments enabled but need to allow them if I change my activity.

I haven't been eating any of my Fitbit calories earned because I'm not sure if I trust it yet. Sounds wonky but thinking I would feel more ok eating more if I started the day with more versus adding them. Needing to transition to maintenance anyway.

i think like all exercise calories you should only eat part of them back.
  • mom2ava07
    mom2ava07 Posts: 186 Member
    Options

i think like all exercise calories you should only eat part of them back.
    [/quote]

True....maybe I should try half. As of now I have been trying to not dip into them at all, maybe 20 or so most days. On exercise days I do eat half. I just want more food lol. 1250ish calories is getting old so close to my goal.