Best core/ab work exercise at home for beginner strength?

Options
Hey everybody. Hope you're all having a lovely week!

I was just wondering if anyone had any tips for the best at home exercise for developing core ab strength? I'm a beginner and so I struggle with the likes of bicycle crunches, V-sit ups etc..I just don't have the core strength yet. I do the plank, supermans and crunches and wall sit ups at the moment and I handle them well. Wall sit ups are quite easy for me now, as are basic crunches. But bicycle crunches, and anything that involves deep core strength really challenges me to the point that I just cant do it! My spine tends to curl up (ie. not flat against the floor) indicating weak back and core muscles.

Anyone have any advice on how to develop my core strength a bit more? I would love to be able to be strong enough to do a V-sit up at some stage! Im working hard and I will get there!

Thanks!
Emma

Replies

• futuremanda
    futuremanda Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Try these:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCg_gh_fppI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWPpdP4IhEY

Both of these give great instruction on core activation and safety (so you don't use your neck or spine).

And keep in mind that ALL beginners cannot completely nail a beginner video. If you could, there would be little point in doing it more than a couple of times, as we grow when we are challenged, not when we are repeating things we can do pretty easily.

Concentrate on form. Don't try to finish every rep in every set, do what you can while working on good form, then rest until you can go again. You're partly working on strength and partly teaching your body how to move correctly and safely (like, not activating your neck). Use the beginner modifications if they're given. Practice, and have patience. Give yourself a few weeks. You'll see a lot of improvement over time!
  • keithpaine
    keithpaine Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I've always found the rather intimidatingly named "Convict Conditioning" to be worth a read. It concentrates on 6 core exercises and has progressions through each, going from complete beginner to advanced.

The abs section can be found on this site.

The advice from futuremanda is well worth taking in to account, regarding form and safety.
  • Bellchick91
    Bellchick91 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Hey.

Thanks so much. Love the two videos - must try them tomorrow! I've bookmarked that section from "Convict Conditioning" to give it a read. Despite the name - it seems like it could prove helpful!

Thank you both - and yeah I actually always try and keep my form. I know the damage you can do to your neck and back if you just do them wrong - plus, you're wasting your time. I dont wanna kid myself - I want to get strong, not superficially strong by being able to do a half assed sit up.

Thanks to both of you :)

hope you have a great week!
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Squats and deadlifts.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    I got a workout dvd recently where they do bicycles with a weight (I use 8lb dumbbell) held on the lower abdomen and I was really surprised at how much easier it was. It never would have occurred to me.

Another good one is just to put your legs straight up in the air then lower them down and back up. When you're starting out, just lower them down a little bit - whenever your back comes up then you've gone too far. For me it used to be like in .2 inches, for real. As you build strength you'll be able to lower them further without arching up. This will eventually get you to the v-sits with good form.
    -
    And my personal favorite, the awkward airplane. From your hands and knees, stretch your left leg out behind you, foot flexed. Stretch your right arm out in front of you while keeping your back level. Hold for a couple breaths, then move your leg and arm out to the sides, keeping them off the ground. Breathe nicely through this, hold for maybe 15 seconds x2 each side, and you'll feel this tightening going all the way around your middle. I love it.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,208 Member
    Options
    DopeItUp wrote: »
    Squats and deadlifts.

Yes, start with these. Your core is a group of muscles designed to assist the rest of your body do things - the core rarely works by itself. Being able to balance on your butt like a circus animal may require ab strength, but it's not core strength. If you don't have strength equipment like dumbbells, try doing goblet squats holding a heavy pot of water.
    Romanian deadlifts and pushups are also good for a beginner's strength program.
  • Bellchick91
    Bellchick91 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Wow - so much great advice! Im going to try them all!Push ups I really struggle with, but have been lifting some light weights too, so hopefully my upper body strength will increase in time also.
    I do Goblet squats in the gym with an 8kg dumbell, and I LOVE deadlifts! Though a romanian one I've never tried.

Thank you all so much!