Arm/hand/fingers "asleep" while bike riding

Options
fzyfrog
fzyfrog Posts: 456 Member
I just recently started riding a bike I bought a few months ago. I rode to work the other day which is 1 mile away. Today I went for a long ride (between 9 and 10 miles). I don't remember when I noticed it starting but I suddenly realized that my lower forearms, hands, and fingers were "asleep" and tingling. I started shaking out each hand and that helped for a min or two but that's about it. I've been home from my ride about 20 minutes and they are still tingling a little. For now I'm going to chalk it up to the fact that my body's not used to such a long ride and that it will pass. It could also be my "form" on the bike. But, I am wondering if anyone else has experienced this before? If so, did it go away? And how long did it take?

Thanks!!

Replies

• nathanieljonet
    Options
    I have had this happen a lot. It comes down to your form on your bike. I suggest buying a nice pair of riding gloves if you haven't done so yet. If the problem continues, the best thing to do is to take your bike to your local bike shop and see if they can do a fitting. That will make sure your seat is at the right height and the angle of your upper body is correct so you won't get any more tingling.
  • jamielise2
    jamielise2 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I have problems like that when my shoulder posture is not good. For me it comes from loose shoulder ligaments (from my high school workouts). Try keeping your shoulders squared back and not rounded forward. If that doesn't work, consult a doctor or chiropractor to check your alignment.
  • clioandboy
    clioandboy Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    Yep had this type of prob, firstly I went to a decent bike shop that helped with the bike set up, angle of handle bars positioning of seat to relieve pressure etc.
    I then worked really hard on strengthening my core, the stronger i got in my stomach the less pressure onto my wrists so the prob was less BUT AT THE END OF THE DAY TURNED OUT I HAD TO HAVE AN OP to correct carpel tunnel and it worked a treat no probs whatsoever now, but core core core and bike fit will help loads, good luck!
  • CUNKNNK
    CUNKNNK Posts: 10
    Options
    It is common. There is a major nerve that runs through the place on your hand that supports your weight on the handlebars. It usually is worse on the outside fingers, and the longer you ride, works the way in from your pinkies to your pointer fingers. First time it happened to me I thought I had a stroke because it only happened on my left side! Your hands will return to normal really soon though.

You can have a bike shop reposition your handlebars for a more upright stance or you can switch hand positions during your ride with overhand/underhand/or side grips if you have bar extensions.

They also make a new handlebar now that is more ergonomic, so it spreads the weight more evenly on your palm.
    http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product_10053_10052_146424_-1_200545__202348
  • fzyfrog
    fzyfrog Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I figured it was probably my form. Thanks for all the suggestions!!! I'll also check out the handlebar - so thanks for that link!!
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    I don't remember when I noticed it starting but I suddenly realized that my lower forearms, hands, and fingers were "asleep" and tingling. I started shaking out each hand and that helped for a min or two but that's about it. I've been home from my ride about 20 minutes and they are still tingling a little.
    It could be just the vibration, and sudden increase in the use of your wrists, which can make your wrists swell, which slightly and temporarily pinches the nerve, that used to happen to me too.

Be aware that could possibly also be the beginning of carpal tunnel syndrome (a permanent pinching of the nerve) which can be exacerbated, but not directly caused, by an increase in use of the wrists - commonly by typing. If you start to wake up with a tingly / dead arm, hand and fingers that would definitely suggest a mild carpal tunnel syndrome.

Even if it is that, it's no big deal, because there's a quick and commonly performed operation which is extremely successful. I had it in both arms, one got so bad after about five years that I had to have an operation, but I've been living with it in the other arm for about fifteen years because it's not too painful.

But I'm sure you'll find that if you rest your wrists (even though it's up your arms too) it will disappear on its own. :smile:
  • piccolarj
    piccolarj Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    I agree getting your bike properly fitted is the key. My first bike I bought from someone and never had it fitted and I had the same problem but when I bought my new bike I told them at the bike shop that I was having that problem so they made sure to fit it to properly and I don't have that anymore. I rode 53 miles today and no numbness or tingling!
  • innerfashionista
    innerfashionista Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • torregro
    torregro Posts: 307
    Options
    I agree with all of the above, but also suggest that you get padded riding gloves if you're going to start riding longer distances.
    Every long bike trip I've ever taken, padded gloves were part of the required equipment list.
    They help a lot. Good luck and happy riding!