Planning Gym Time

MFP friends, I want to get into better shape. I tend to be a procrastinator so setting a regular time and going some place away from home is the best way for me to stay focused. I don't have much fitness knowledge and will feel a little lost in a gym. I'd like to add some type of structure to keep my activity varied, productive, and safe. I'd be perfectly happy if someone just gave me a list of activities to do. A trainer is a tempting thought but hiring someone is pretty costly. I considered a phone app to track activity and build a plan. There seem to be a lot of choices with none really standing out. I've found tons videos, apps, and websites for home training. Is there anything that would do better in a gym environment? Any other advice for people that need structure?

Replies

• Jill4165
    Jill4165 Posts: 50 Member
    Hello! I know how you feel. Stepping into a gym can be a little intimidating. Maybe check out what machines and equipment your gym offers and then decide what you would want to do.

First try new things see what is fun to you. I try and mix it up so I don't get bored. I started the C25K running program a few weeks ago, so I try and do that a couple of days. On the weekends I really like to do something outside whether it be run outside or play tennis. Some gyms offer different classes.

Get yourself a workout calendar and plan your workouts. Just stay consistent and you will be regularly going to the gym in no time :smile:
  • carimiller7391
    carimiller7391 Posts: 1,091 Member
    hey Viper.... congrats on taking the first step to better health. First find an activity that you enjoy, then set a schedule to do that activity. I personally enjoy Zumba, walking, resistance training and riding the recumbent bike. (working my way up to a moutain bike). Different sites offer different plans, you can do videos on demand depending on what cable provider you have. I only go to the gym for the class they offer (cheaper for a gym membership then for classes per month). I will walk and do the elliptical at the gym while waiting for a class, but resistance training I do at home. Hope it helps!!
  • dawn_noelle29
    dawn_noelle29 Posts: 114 Member
    Although, I've been an avid gym-goer for a better part of 20 years, I know what it's like to fall off the wagon and get back up...and getting back into a routine of going to the gym on a regular basis is tough and even when you're familiar with equipment, it still can be a bit intimidating.
    One thing that completely helped me was joining a new gym called OrangeTheory Fitness - you'd swear I owned one with how much I rave about it! It is a little spendy for a membership BUT it's an hour long class, it is lead by a trainer/coach (so you get the extra attention), you are only challenging yourself, each class is different which keeps it fun and new, you sign up for classes and are charged if you don't go - making the excuses VERY LIMITED, it's HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training), and it's always a positive environment. I'm very structured and like routine so this gym helps me with that - every morning I go to the 5am class and knock it out which means during the day I feel great and continue to enjoy that "afterburn".
    If you don't have an OTF around you, I can recommend maybe some videos like Jillian Michaels or T25 or those to get you started so you feel a bit more confident walking into a gym.
  • GWehsling
    GWehsling Posts: 120 Member
    Most gyms I have been to will offer an introduction with any sign up and this usually includes a weigh-in and a basic program if you ask. This is a good starting point. As you go on, when things feel easier, increase the intensity of your work out by either increasing the weights or repetitions based on what you want to achieve. Youtube is great way to make sure you are doing each activity the right way for maximum benefit.

The gym needs to sell you a program to keep their staff employed, but if you ask nicely, getting a trainer once a month to check your progress is reasonably affordable. My gym does this for about $40/mo. For that, once a month, I get a weigh in and a half hour training session where my capability is checked and my program is updated.

If that still intimidates you, ask around, you'll find a gym buddy amongst your extended circle of friends, I'm sure. I'm a million miles away otherwise I'd be happy to meet you at a gym a few times a week.

Good luck and don't forget everybody once stepped into a gym their first time.
  • viper803
    viper803 Posts: 2
    Thanks, everyone. I like that nerdfitness post. I'll be spending a lot of time on that site tonight. It seems like it's good to have a variety of different exercises. Without searching, for example, I have no idea what an "inverse body weight row" actually is. What kind of tools are out there to help me choose? Is one exercise better than another? I don't want a degree in fitness and would almost rather have a set of dice I could roll that would say "today do x, y, and z." Then I could plan the workout, weight, reps, etc.

I think I'm going to wind up with about 30 minutes each day probably two days a week. I like the idea of a variety of exercises to get a whole-body workout.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    What about taking a class?
  • Ehlvee186000
    Ehlvee186000 Posts: 2 Member
    I second (or third?) the nerdfitness suggestion. Steve's advice there has really worked for me.