I can't gain weight!

Options
So I've been stuck at 171lbs for a long time now and I can't figure out why, I eat 3000+ calories a day and go to the gym almost every day too and when I leave I always way myself to see 171 lbs over and over. PLEASE HELP. Also if it matters I am 6ft6in.

Replies

• williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    You're 18 and 6'6". Your maintenance calories (based on 6 days/wk at the gym) are likely 3,000-3,500. Going to have to eat more. Try this calculator to get an estimate of your calorie needs: http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/#results
  • killakyle420
    Options
    First of all you probably don't eat enough and what do you do for strength training?
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    You need to eat more. If you believe you can or can't, you're right.

• carrickG
    carrickG Posts: 4
    Options
    Thanks for all your replies and thank you Williams969 for the link. Killakyle I do a three day split routine: chest, shoulders, triceps one day back and biceps the next then legs and abs the final day then a break the day after then repeat.
  • killakyle420
    Options
    You should be lifting pretty heavy when trying to gain mass so try to lift around the 6 to 8 rep range and take a good break between sets. I would imagine you do deadlifts, bench press, squats and shoulder press in your routines so concentrate on gradually increasing the weight as your strength goes up and you should make some good gains! Goodluck bud!
  • bulk_n_cut
    bulk_n_cut Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    bro sometimes i make this smoothie that contains an entire avocado, 2 "heaping" tablespoons (at this point theyre more like ladles) of peanut butter, full fat ice cream, psyllium husk, and 2% milk. it sounds gross but it isnt, and i swear one of those smoothies added to your day....DANG you're gonna gain weight
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    carrickG wrote: »
    Thanks for all your replies and thank you Williams969 for the link. Killakyle I do a three day split routine: chest, shoulders, triceps one day back and biceps the next then legs and abs the final day then a break the day after then repeat.

So each muscle group is only 2 x weekly?

You been lifting for well over a year to benefit from an advanced routine like that?
    http://www.exrx.net/WeightTraining/Instructions.html

• carrickG
    Options
    Thanks everyone once again for the advice and heybales I've been going to the gym on and off since august but really started fully going the beginning of this year.
  • richln
    richln Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    When I was your age, I was 5'10" 165 lbs, and I was bulking on 6000+ a day just to get minimal gains. The various calculators you find will only be your starting guess. If you keep increasing the calories, you will eventually find the right amount that gets the scale moving up. Your program is fine, you are just not eating enough.
  • carrickG
    Options
    Cheers rich and out of curiosity what are you at now?
  • richln
    richln Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    5'10" 204 about 17%. Was able to get to 230 12% when I was younger though. Eating like that is not easy, but if it is any consolation for you, I always find my appetite increases as I get further into the bulk. Also, it gets a lot easier to bulk the older you get (did for me at least). I bulk in the low 3000s now.