Beer be gone! I've lost the first 10 pounds and the next 10 better look out!!

Options
neicygeis
neicygeis Posts: 7 Member
edited March 2015 in Success Stories
Hi everyone!! I know how hard it is to get the ball rolling on weight loss so I wanted to share my story. I felt like I'd always been "chubby" my whole life….. until I look back at pictures of myself in my 20's and 30's and think, "Damn! I wish I looked like that again!" But everything changes in your 40's (just like you've always heard) and pounds don't just roll off like they used to. It becomes a lot harder to live a carefree lifestyle when it comes to eating and drinking. And I love food! And I LOVE to cook! I love experimenting in the kitchen and trying to duplicate dishes I've had at restaurants and my husband and I love going out and checking out all the new spots! Which leads to a lot of extra calories. Then, a few years ago, we discovered craft beer and enjoyed hunting down new breweries in the area and also made it a point to seek them out whenever we traveled. Well, as you may know, that can definitely pack on pounds. I started to notice my mid-section getting puffier but didn't want to give up the thing that he and I enjoyed doing together. He's an avid runner, hiker and in really great shape so he'd just run a little farther after a night on the town…for me, it wasn't so easy.

Then one morning I had a revelation! Woke up feeling puffier than ever and caught a glance of myself in a mirror while out shopping and thought it was an older woman wearing the same outfit as me!! Oh, hell no! That was it! I changed that day and haven't looked back. I decided not to drink all week and wait until the weekend to indulge. I had a habit of drinking a beer or 2 or some wine while making dinner, a reward after a hard day's work. I thought, "Well, if I can can cut that out, it'll be a huge step." And it was! Not only was it much easier than I thought, but by the time the weekend came around, I didn't really care if I had one or not. It was easy to just have a single glass of wine when we went out and call it good!

I'm 43 and know that indeed, it could all be downhill from here if I wasn't careful. It's not too far off to be "over the hill" if you don't do something to stop it. I wanted to climb back up that hill while I could still see the top of it! So, I went for it!

I started by changing my drinking and eating habits and realized that just because I'm cooking for someone who just ran a half marathon, I don't need to put the same amount of calories on my plate. Every single meal I have includes fresh, raw vegetables and protein. I start every morning with a spinach smoothie consisting of anything green I have in the house. I switch it up by adding almond milk, bananas, pineapple, papaya, chia seeds, tofu, spirulina or some days just water and greens. I make enough to drink 1/2 of it after my workout. For snacks I have red pepper strips, apples, nuts or anything green. At dinnertime, it's easy to make a big salad with fresh veggies and some salmon and cook up some extra chicken or potatoes if the hubs is feeling a little hungrier that night. I've actually pictured myself in front of a mirror when I'm cooking or making a snack thinking, "What fuel does my body need?" and only including that in my meals. It's made a huge difference! Now when we go out, I can have a glass or 2 of red wine or a vodka soda and know that I've earned it and can afford the calories.

The other very significant change that I've made is Yoga!! I'd tried it other times in my life and never really got it. But this time was different. It's really changed my life! It changes the way I think about my body and what I put into it. It truly is a temple and if you treat it like one, you will be rewarded!! I've lost 10 pounds so far but it feels like 20! Everyone around me has noticed, some say I'm "glowing" and my husband's noticed that my body is changing…and he likes it!! It's only been 41 days since I've made these changes and I can't wait to see what the next 41 will bring!! :)

Replies

• hezemakiah
    hezemakiah Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    WOW! Love your story! Congrats on making those life changes! Your confidence is outstanding!!! Congrats on the loss too! It's not easy, but making these life changes for us 40-somethings (or really at any age) is definitely improving ourselves! Thanks for sharing your story!
  • fuzzypicklehead
    fuzzypicklehead Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Excellent work, keep going!
  • neicygeis
    Options
    Thanks ladies! It's now or never, right?? :)
  • Annie81503
    Annie81503 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Awesome!
    Craft beer is my weakness as well...
  • neicygeis
    Options
    It was so hard to think about doing without it, Annie. I still crave a nice hoppy IPA or an imperial stout but I'm gonna go 2 months before I reward myself with one….who knows, I might not even want it then!
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Good for you. I LOVE beer, drink one eve weekly. Will NEVER give it up.
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    Congrats! Great work. I gave up liquor too and it's funny how I don't really miss it.
  • vanessalillian82
    vanessalillian82 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I love your enthusiasm :smile: Keep it up!
  • tantamount5
    tantamount5 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Wine is my weakness I've lost just 5 lbs in 3 weeks and it seems like it's just stopped I have definitely cut down on the wine but I think I've just got to stop all together!
  • MrsMizart
    MrsMizart Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    What an excellent tale of determination :-)
  • neicygeis
    Options
    Thanks for the support! Whenever I feel like I'm hitting a wall or starting to plateau I just envision that hill and that old lady in the mirror and ramp up my workout for a few days and try some new things with my diet. It's good to mix up your workout too so your body doesn't settle in to the same old routine.
  • mjhellmers
    mjhellmers Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Congrats to you! Beer is a huge weakness of mine as well. There's normally no such thing as 1 or 2 beers. I normally drink 3-4 just while grilling, then 2-3 more while eating. Same with wine...if I drink some, it's the whole bottle instead of a glass. I started cutting back January 4th of this year and have already dropped 43 lbs, with a lot more to go. Keep up the good work!!!
  • neicygeis
    Options
    Wow! 43 lbs! That's awesome!! Git some!!! :)
  • jmathis1825
    jmathis1825 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Good for you!! :)
  • davidcliff
    davidcliff Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Nice Job, keep it up!

I haven't given up beer I just make a decision and make sure that I burn off in the am, at the gym, whatever I'm going to drink at night.
  • veerkiraar
    veerkiraar Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Which yoga did you do? Is there any youtube link?
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Excellent job!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!