I have severe emphysema and need desparately to lose weight!

Options
I am a new member, and I find this website is incredible. I realize that I cannot get medical advice from this site, but what I truly need is suggestions or help from other members that also suffer from severe illness and need to lose weight in order to feel better. I am on oxygen almost 24/7 and unable to do many exercises recommended on web sites. I can only manage to do beginner cardio (very low level) on a treadmill and a few seldom walks depending on the weather, It is a very slow agonizing weight loss process. I also have fibromyalgia and that doesn't help matters either. I try my best and sometimes overdo it, and then can hardly get out of bed for two days. If there are other members out there that are struggling with some of my issues or other health issues, it would be great if you could share your stories with me and we might be able to encourage each other.
SuzyQ33

Replies

• ChristinaRamos
    Options
    I know people who drank Vi Shakes that lost weight without excercise!!! Friend me, I drink them!
  • emmaleigh47
    emmaleigh47 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    I have fibromyalgia... but illness or no illness I give everyone the same advice.
    Consistency breeds success -- its not what you do today its what you do over a week.

Start with 10 minutes of exercise.... and do that 3x/week ... then progress. No matter where you start if you show up and are progressing you will be proud of yourself at the end of the day!
  • yankeegurl
    yankeegurl Posts: 20
    Options
    I applaud you for the effort you are making...It must be tough:) I would recommend that you work on your nutrition since workouts have to be kept @ a low level. Eat as clean as possible b/c weight loss is 80% due to what foods you put into your body. Best of luck to you!!
  • SuzyQ333
    SuzyQ333 Posts: 2
    Options
    Thank you so much for your words of encouragement. I just have to pace myself and not overdo everything. I want so much to succeed that I too often push too hard either on the treadmill, or doing things around the house. I cannot do most house chores and have had to hire a cleaning lady. Today for some reason I was determined I could clean my refrigerator. The good intentions were there and I was determined I could do it, but half way through I just collapsed and my legs and arms are still shaking. I have always been a perfectionist and push myself to the extreme. That worked fine when I was healthy when I could melt most of my excess weight away. That is the part I have so much trouble with. Now I will probably be unable to move until Monday.
    I have to hammer it into my think skull that I can only take little steps now, and learn to be proud of these little steps.........it is still a work in progress!! Thanks again
  • teagal
    teagal Posts: 3
    Options
    Hi SuzyQ333! We are both in the same boat. I have emphysema and am finding it very difficult to exercise. I try walking and have to stop every now and then to catch my breath and I know that isn't doing me any good. I need to be able to keep going so my heart rate will be up and stay up.

I was on prednisone for 5 long years and have awful belly fat because of it. I feel like I look pregnant.
    Not being able to exercise is awful.
    I try not over eating BUT I am still sitting most of the day so the food turns to fat!

Maybe we can be of help to each other? What do ya say?