Who HASNT had results with IIFYM?

Options
I know this might sound biased but have any of y'all actually failed with weight loss or maintenance with counting macros via IIFYM? I see people day in and day out struggling to reach their goals with different forms of dieting, however, haven't met anyone that didn't enjoy doing IIFYM and didn't get any results.

Please explain what was bad about it and why you failed, if applicable.

I have had great results this far and see progress on the scale, and in the gym daily. I am also taking progress pics every month and have been seeing results slowly, but effectively.

Replies

• Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    I have a feeling if anyone posts that it didn't work for them it's because they didn't actually follow the plan. IIFYM is pretty foolproof if you stick with it and don't cheat. Eat less than you burn and get healthy proportions of protein/fat/carbs. Science says it works.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    Anyone who hasn't properly tracked caloric intake.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    The only people I have heard "fail" IIFYM weren't hitting macros and weren't staying within their calorie goal day in and day out. I could see some beginners who struggle with moderation not doing well. For many people there is a problem with having just one.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    IIFYM is just a tool to get into a deficit/surplus/maintenance…so if anyone failed it is on them for now following the program, and not anything to do with IIFYM..

i mean you can go low carb and gain weight too …does not mean low carb does not work, it just means you failed to get into a deficit...
  • Ssowell89
    Ssowell89 Posts: 11
    Options
    I agree with all these statements. So why doesn't everyone who diet do IIFYM? Doesn't make sense to me.
  • ana3067
    Options
    Ssowell89 wrote: »
    I agree with all these statements. So why doesn't everyone who diet do IIFYM? Doesn't make sense to me.

I lost weight years ago, didn't hear about IIFYM until this past summer. And that was only because someone on my FB friendslist did a bikini show and lost weigh through IIFYM. Doesn't seem like a "no-brainer" for non-MFP/bodybuilding populations. Plus not everyone wants to or cares about monitoring macros overall so it might be easier to just pick keto/low-carb or low fat etc (even though I do IIFYM and I only really make sure I hit protein)
    50452 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I know what IIFYM stands for, but how important is it to hit every macro daily? Isn't it most important to stay at a deficit? Not minimize the importance of a balanced diet, but as long as you are not going into maintenance or above, you should lose weight, right?

I look at my macros on MFP. I don't worry about them too much.

I'm hoping I'm not coming across argumentative - I'm new at this and am genuinely curious.
  • ndj1979
    Options

depends ..some people have a medical condition that makes them sensitive to carbs, so they do low carb; others have food allergies so they avoid gluten; others just think X foods are bad so they decide to restrict them…

for me IIFYM makes the most sense…however, I was pretty much already doing it before I ever heard of it and when I did it just made the most sense for me….
  • ndj1979
    Options
    50452 wrote: »
    I know what IIFYM stands for, but how important is it to hit every macro daily? Isn't it most important to stay at a deficit? Not minimize the importance of a balanced diet, but as long as you are not going into maintenance or above, you should lose weight, right?

I'm hoping I'm not coming across argumentative - I'm new at this and am genuinely curious.

if your goal is just fat loss then yes calorie deficit is king.

if you care about body comp, overall health, etc then hissing macros/micros becomes more important...
  • Ssowell89
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

if you care about body comp, overall health, etc then hissing macros/micros becomes more important...

^^^ I couldn't say that any better.
  • Ssowell89
    Options

depends ..some people have a medical condition that makes them sensitive to carbs, so they do low carb; others have food allergies so they avoid gluten; others just think X foods are bad so they decide to restrict them…

for me IIFYM makes the most sense…however, I was pretty much already doing it before I ever heard of it and when I did it just made the most sense for me….

That makes sense. I guess I forget people actually have physical issues.
  • ana3067
    Options

This. Although protein is the only macro I monitor. I'm generally at or ove ron protein, at or over on fat without making sure I meet the target (I just really like fatty ingredients), and carbs are easy to consume. If I'm under then I look at my weekly average and make up for it.
    Options

I agree, but that wasn't how I interpreted the OP. I'm not saying that he implied otherwise; it just seems more geared toward weight loss.

So I would ask the question: What does IIFYM look like for you, collectively?
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I haven't had results with IIFYM. I'm doing MFP. I couldn't care less about IIFYM.
  • ndj1979
    Options

I agree, but that wasn't how I interpreted the OP. I'm not saying that he implied otherwise; it just seems more geared toward weight loss.

for me, it means that I hit my protein/fat/carb minimums as well as my micros and then fill in my day with whatever else I want.

my diary is public so you can see what my consumption is like….
  • ana3067
    Options

I mean, I don't eat gluten because I experience IBS-like symptoms, but I'm also IIFYM. I don't omit gluten for weight loss purposes. If I had to eat low carb because I suddenly developed diabetes or something then I'd still do IIFYM, just making carbs a maximum goal and then filling my day up with lots of fat and the same protein I eat now. So IIFYM is just the approach to one's dietary make-up, the only reason you will fail or succeed is if you ensure you are eating a correct number of calories for your goal, which applies to ANY dietary-makeup approach.
  • ndj1979
    Options

at the end of the day it really is about calorie deficit…how you get there IIFYM, keto, low carb, etc is just a tool..

IMO though IIFYM is the best tool for long term success because you learn how to eat a wide variety of foods and incorporate them into your diet…rather the being scared because sugar, or preservatives, or insert urgent fashionable nutrition boogeyman ...
  • ana3067
    Options

2150 calorie goal for weight loss (may need to lower it), 125g minimum protein, 65g minimum fat, the rest carbs. I meet my protein minimum needs (or close if I went over on a previous day and don't feel like meeting my needs that day) and that's about all I monitor. I naturally eat enough fat for my preferences (usually over) and then just monitor my calories. I do not monitor micronutrients because I already eat a varied diet and many macros here are assessed by RDV based on a 2000 calorie diet so it's useless to me. I eat any food I want, and sometimes that means eating chocolate, sometimes fruit salad. Etc.
    Options

for me, it means that I hit my protein/fat/carb minimums as well as my micros and then fill in my day with whatever else I want.

my diary is public so you can see what my consumption is like….

It's only open to friends.

What are micros? Vitamins/minerals? Is there a way to view that on MFP? MFP only gives one number for macro nutrients. It looks to me that you can be either over, under, or right on.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    I haven't had results with IIFYM. I'm doing MFP. I couldn't care less about IIFYM.
    Can you be more specific? What were your macro goals, did you adhere to them, and what was the outcome?