Only 2 pounds lost over 30 days

Options
is this a good number? I was expecting more weight loss on a 1500 cal a day diet. I am 55 5' 10" 210lb trying to get down to 190. I exercise 5x a week. 3 days Olympic weightlifting and 2 days cardio. Any advise?
191. Thanks

Replies

• ShibaEars
    ShibaEars Posts: 3,928 Member
    Options
    You aren't trying to lose a lot and that works out to about .5 lbs a week which isn't a bad rate of loss at all. Do you weigh/measure your food? If not, and you want to lose a bit faster, you will have to be more precise with the amounts you're eating. However, 1500 seems like it might be a bit low for your size & activity level.

• taco_inspector
    taco_inspector Posts: 7,223 Member
    Options
    ShibaEars wrote: »
    You aren't trying to lose a lot and that works out to about .5 lbs a week which isn't a bad rate of loss at all. Do you weigh/measure your food? If not, and you want to lose a bit faster, you will have to be more precise with the amounts you're eating. However, 1500 seems like it might be a bit low for your size & activity level.
    ... which leads me to ask if you're eating back your workout calories (or some fraction thereof)?
  • neilmonaco
    neilmonaco Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I do measure everything and do sometimes eat back some of the workout calories. I thought we were supposed to as the app is set up that way. So I eat 1500 before workout and tend to earn additional calories (300-500) from all exercises (although I do some things that are not listed in the app (like airsquats) that should burn cal too but can't count them) and eat a few hundred more in food. Always end below calories for the day. Should I stick to just 1500 even with earned exercise calories? I will if that is more effective.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    A half pound a week is awesome, WTG!
  • neilmonaco
    Options
    Thank yo
  • neilmonaco
    Options
    u
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Better then zero lbs. Be happy at least the scale is moving in the right direction. B)
  • wkwebby
    wkwebby Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Half a pound a week is a good steady number for your amount of targeted weight loss. Don't rush it. You'll keep it off longer if you go slow. Oh, and if you feel that you aren't losing fast enough, don't eat all of your exercise calories back. The calories "you earn" are just an estimate so be careful of those calories. If you feel hungry or lethargic from not eating enough, then reevaluate your calorie intake.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    neilmonaco wrote: »
    I do measure everything and do sometimes eat back some of the workout calories. I thought we were supposed to as the app is set up that way. So I eat 1500 before workout and tend to earn additional calories (300-500) from all exercises (although I do some things that are not listed in the app (like airsquats) that should burn cal too but can't count them) and eat a few hundred more in food. Always end below calories for the day. Should I stick to just 1500 even with earned exercise calories? I will if that is more effective.

Define 'measure'. If you're not weighing, you might be off by a lot. What's your weight loss set at? Half a pound, one pound?
  • neilmonaco
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    neilmonaco wrote: »

Define 'measure'. If you're not weighing, you might be off by a lot. What's your weight loss set at? Half a pound, one pound?

I do weigh all - thanks though for being specific. And I have it set for 2lbs a week! That's why I was thinking it was going too slow.
  • neilmonaco
    Options
    wkwebby wrote: »
    Half a pound a week is a good steady number for your amount of targeted weight loss. Don't rush it. You'll keep it off longer if you go slow. Oh, and if you feel that you aren't losing fast enough, don't eat all of your exercise calories back. The calories "you earn" are just an estimate so be careful of those calories. If you feel hungry or lethargic from not eating enough, then reevaluate your calorie intake.

gotcha - thanks for the tip!