Who HASNT had results with IIFYM?

Options
2»

Replies

• ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    I haven't had results with IIFYM. I'm doing MFP. I couldn't care less about IIFYM.
    Can you be more specific? What were your macro goals, did you adhere to them, and what was the outcome?

Pretty sure he's never tried IIFYM or just doesn't associate his approach with IIFYM, not that he did it and failed.
  • Ssowell89
    Ssowell89 Posts: 11
    Options
    I haven't had results with IIFYM. I'm doing MFP. I couldn't care less about IIFYM.

This is what I was looking for. Instead of "I haven't had results", please tell me what failed for you?

Also, I'm open to accept friends! I'm new on MFP so request me lol.
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Ssowell89 wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    I agree with all these statements. So why doesn't everyone who diet do IIFYM? Doesn't make sense to me.

depends ..some people have a medical condition that makes them sensitive to carbs, so they do low carb; others have food allergies so they avoid gluten; others just think X foods are bad so they decide to restrict them…

for me IIFYM makes the most sense…however, I was pretty much already doing it before I ever heard of it and when I did it just made the most sense for me….

That makes sense. I guess I forget people actually have physical issues.

I'm higher fiber per my GI and surgeon. I *should* limit carbs because of the start of insulin resistance. I also should limit my fat as I lack a gallbladder. I'm still losing though, and I try and do my best to hit my macros. Over on fiber and under on calories are my top priority followed by hitting my protein. Carbs and fat I try not to stress over too much currently. Now if I go back to my endocrinologist and my labs are not improved I will be forced to either A- make dietary changes or B- start taking metformin or something of that nature.

50452 wrote: »
    I know what IIFYM stands for, but how important is it to hit every macro daily? Isn't it most important to stay at a deficit? Not minimize the importance of a balanced diet, but as long as you are not going into maintenance or above, you should lose weight, right?

I look at my macros on MFP. I don't worry about them too much.

I'm hoping I'm not coming across argumentative - I'm new at this and am genuinely curious.

if your goal is just fat loss then yes calorie deficit is king.

if you care about body comp, overall health, etc then hissing macros/micros becomes more important...

I agree, but that wasn't how I interpreted the OP. I'm not saying that he implied otherwise; it just seems more geared toward weight loss.

So I would ask the question: What does IIFYM look like for you, collectively?

Calories: 1905
    Carbs: 195
    Fat: 65
    Protein: 146
    Fiber: 35 (I've been hitting 50 the last few days though)
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    I know this might sound biased but have any of y'all actually failed with weight loss or maintenance with counting macros via IIFYM? I see people day in and day out struggling to reach their goals with different forms of dieting, however, haven't met anyone that didn't enjoy doing IIFYM and didn't get any results.

Please explain what was bad about it and why you failed, if applicable.

I have had great results this far and see progress on the scale, and in the gym daily. I am also taking progress pics every month and have been seeing results slowly, but effectively.

IIFM is the only method that has worked for me thus far, and I've tried every diet on the planet.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I know what IIFYM stands for, but how important is it to hit every macro daily? Isn't it most important to stay at a deficit? Not minimize the importance of a balanced diet, but as long as you are not going into maintenance or above, you should lose weight, right?

I'm hoping I'm not coming across argumentative - I'm new at this and am genuinely curious.

if you care about body comp, overall health, etc then hissing macros/micros becomes more important...

I agree, but that wasn't how I interpreted the OP. I'm not saying that he implied otherwise; it just seems more geared toward weight loss.

for me, it means that I hit my protein/fat/carb minimums as well as my micros and then fill in my day with whatever else I want.

my diary is public so you can see what my consumption is like….

It's only open to friends.

What are micros? Vitamins/minerals? Is there a way to view that on MFP? MFP only gives one number for macro nutrients. It looks to me that you can be either over, under, or right on.

I just checked the settings and it says "public" that is weird…

Mircos = vitamins, iron, potassium, fiber, calcium, etc…Micronutrients
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options

for me, it means that I hit my protein/fat/carb minimums as well as my micros and then fill in my day with whatever else I want.

This. I often don't meet my protein goals, but I'm getting better at it.

I have learned that for me calorie restriction without food restriction works best for me.
    50452 Posts: 170 Member
    Options

It's only open to friends.

What are micros? Vitamins/minerals? Is there a way to view that on MFP? MFP only gives one number for macro nutrients. It looks to me that you can be either over, under, or right on.

I just checked the settings and it says "public" that is weird…

Mircos = vitamins, iron, potassium, fiber, calcium, etc…Micronutrients

Okay, either I'm hallucinating or there is a glitch. At any rate, it says public now.
  • Ssowell89
    Ssowell89 Posts: 11
    Options

Cals - 2054
    Fats - 46
    Carbs - 257
    Protein 154
    Fiber - 55