College student looking for cheap, healthy & non-skilled cook friendly dinners :)

Options
I'm a college student that runs on a varying schedule- oh and I'm in the process of really learning how to cook. I want to be healthy on a budget which isn't as hard as it sounds! I'm just struggling to find dinner recipes that taste good & are not to complex. And healthy of course! Also general tips for staying on track are welcome :))

Replies

• hholmberg2000
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. I find if I prep food ahead of time for the week it makes it much easier! Chicken is one food that is easy to experiment with as it goes with most things. Try adding cinnamon and garlic to boneless skinless chicken thighs. Green tea is also a great way to give your metabolism a jump start!
  • LaTieya
    LaTieya Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same situation and sometimes I make my food a head of time. Sometimes I make a grilled shrimp salid very easy to make .
  • lalaluvslife
    Options
    My daughter is in the same place that you girls are. We have found Tyson make fresh pre-seasoned boneless skinless chicken breast that have great flavor and don't add a bunch of extra calories like so much of the seasoned or packaged meals etc do. We find them at Safeway in our area.
  • matt6050
    matt6050 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Just wrapping up my second year at uni. I make stir-frys, salads, lettuce wraps, roasted vegetables, crock pot, nori rolls, spaghetti squash, sandwiches, tofu scrambles, smoothies; there is really no end to super simple, plant-based, and quick recipes. I would definitely take a bit of time to look up a few options. More than that, just experiment and have fun with it! Vegetables, fruits and whole grains can be mixed and matched extremely well, and then you just have to rustle up some protein/fats and you have yourself a wonderful meal :) best of luck!
  • alisedchaffins
    Options
    Gordon Ramsay had a ton of cheap, easy foodie recipes. If you can spend a little money up front on spices, they can help you transform staples like fish or chicken into all kinds of delicious dishes!
  • peggymenard
    peggymenard Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I know someone who lived on brown rice with a can of seasoned tomatoes thrown in as it cooked and a salad. He made a big batch on Sunday which lasted him through the week.
    He lost weight as well.
  • lauraloy2013
    lauraloy2013 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Chicken, peppers, mushrooms, chopped tomatoes is a winner. Add some basil, garlic and oregano. Serve with pasta. It was one of the main dishes I made at uni. The herbs and spices will never be wasted if she get a few essentials in.
  • MLeigh18
    MLeigh18 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Get a crockpot, add 4-5 chicken breasts, water, and seasoning. Let it cook for 6-8 hours and now you have meat for the whole week and you can do lots of things with shredded chicken from salads to enchiladas.
  • LogicalDaydreamer
    LogicalDaydreamer Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Lots of very affordable and tasty recipes on this blog: http://www.poorgirleatswell.com/
    They're usually fairly beginner friendly, as well! (I say this as a culinary n00b who has had great success with her stuff! :))

I also like browsing this collection: budgetbytes.com
  • alfiedn
    alfiedn Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    Eggs, roasted veggies, chili, (soups in general), fresh fruit, healthy casseroles. (I make a zucchini enchilada casserole sometimes that's adapted from skinnytaste.com), stir fries, rice and beans... The possibilities of cheap and healthy food are endless! I am largely into simple meals as well and if it's low maintenance, all the better. I've always bought my grains in bulk and it helps to buy dried beans and cook them. I usually boil them all in water and then freeze them in gallon sized bags until I need them, I usually have two or three different kinds in my freezer at a time.
  • chelsieriggle32814
    Options
    Wow, thank you all so much! Every response is very helpful! I can't wait to try some of this stuff :)
  • Sarahbooradley
    Sarahbooradley Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Im a graduate student. I gained my freshman fifteen twice, once when I moved to undergrad and another fifteen when I moved to grad school.

Now I'm really focused my diet. I buy bulk boneless skinless chicken breast and freeze individual servings in bags. Through out the week, I defrost and prep it. For me, the simplicity makes up for the lack of variety.
    Usually, I stir fry it ( no oil, but in a ceramic fry pan!) With whatever veggies I've got on hand. I've got a lot of spices that I add to it to create variety. Curry, chipolte, carribean jerk, Italian. Spices have helped me break my cheese addition. Before, i used to smoother everything in cheese if i didn't like flavor. But now, spices changed everything.

Often, i put the stir fry over brown rice or lettuce, or cabbage and mung bean sprouts ( so cheap and easy to grow yourself. Seriously. I mostly hate diy but i love the sprouts) sometimes, i use uncle bens rice mixes because they already have great flavors.
    The best part is I can easily double the "recipe' and save half for lunch the next day.

A crock pot is also really helpful. Sometimes, I throw chicken and veggies together at night, keep it in the fridge overnight, and put it in the crock pot in the morning so it's ready for me after class 8 hours later.

For quick foods, steel cut oats, Greek yogurts with added frozen fruit, chocolate rice cakes, canned tuna, eggs, and peanut butter have been great for when I'm too tired to cook.

Good luck! Healthy cooking is a journey, not a destination. :)
    Let us know how it goes
  • Sarahbooradley
    Sarahbooradley Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Curry chicken made with greek yogurt is one of my favorites. You can google it for the basic recipe. Don't be afraid to add whatever veggies you've got on hand :)
  • jangus9416
    jangus9416 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Soo this has nothing to do with dinner, but I just made breakfast quinoa cups (found on Pinterest) and they were super helpful for when I have early classes or just don't feel like making breakfast. You could eat them for lunch or dinner too if you'd like. You just mix cooked quinoa with eggs, meat, cheese, veggies and pop them into a muffin pan and bake! My boyfriend even enjoyed them!
  • kitcarson40
    kitcarson40 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Get a crockpot and get on pinterest, there are 100's of easy chicken recipes that are very good.
  • chelsieriggle32814
    Options
    Wow, thank you all so much! Every response is very helpful! I can't wait to try some of this stuff :)
  • YokiLenko
    YokiLenko Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Avocado Pasta is pretty simple. 1-2 ripe avocados, about 1 tbsp of lime, 1/2 cup of parmesan cheese, salt + pepper, and wheat pasta. Just cook the pasta, mash up the avocado and mix it with the other ingredients. You can also cook up some chicken for some added protein. Tastes great but the only thing is you can't save it for later meals because the avocado will brown if left out...
  • Elkroawolfan
    Options
    Steam your vegetables or if it black cabbage consume it raw (chop it up into small pieces) mixed with some rice and cheese. Cooking kills a lot of the B-vitamins so basically a lot of people do not know they are killing the nutrients in the food so they are killing the key part of a food.
  • armyconnie
    Options
    I call it Chicken Surprise. I (no bone or skin)chicken breast or thigh diced up. I cook in pan no oil. I make wheat pasta and get pasta sauce add veggies. Put chicken on plate, cover with fat free cheese slice, pasta on top add sauce.
    When you serve and eat the chicken is unexpected! Surprise!!! ;)
    All can be done in microwaves too!