How do restaurants manage to pack in so many calories and so much sodium????

Options
124»

Replies

• atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    peter56765 wrote: »
    RE: McDonald's

Having worked there, I can guarantee half the things you think are safe and okay to eat from there are definitely not. In my district at least, the lettuce and most vegetables were sprayed with a chemical compound to keep the composition of the vegetables. It's why our restaurant had a cancer warning near the entrance. The salads were usually made in the morning but the boxes would be shipped to us weeks prior. Joke's on America, I guess.

Interesting. Their latest breakfast campaign assures us they start making your Egg McMuffin by cracking a fresh egg. This is a salvo against Taco Bell and Dunkin Donuts who have taken quite a bite out of McD's breakfast market share but who reheat already created breakfast sandwiches shipped from a central location.

I haven't seen that ad yet; but I know when McDonald's first introduced their egg mcmuffin, it was delicious, just as their hand-cut French fries were. Now everything is defrosted and kept in a heating tray. Yuck! If I want an egg mcmuffin, I make it myself. Much better, and takes half the time of waiting in line either inside or in the drive-through. Just put an egg in a small buttered bowl, cut a hole in the yolk, cover it with plastic wrap, and heat at 100% for one minute. While waiting, toast an English muffin, stick the Canadian bacon on it, plop the finished egg, and there you have it - in less time and a LOT less money than it takes to order it through the drive-through!
  • CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    peter56765 wrote: »
    RE: McDonald's

Having worked there, I can guarantee half the things you think are safe and okay to eat from there are definitely not. In my district at least, the lettuce and most vegetables were sprayed with a chemical compound to keep the composition of the vegetables. It's why our restaurant had a cancer warning near the entrance. The salads were usually made in the morning but the boxes would be shipped to us weeks prior. Joke's on America, I guess.

Interesting. Their latest breakfast campaign assures us they start making your Egg McMuffin by cracking a fresh egg. This is a salvo against Taco Bell and Dunkin Donuts who have taken quite a bite out of McD's breakfast market share but who reheat already created breakfast sandwiches shipped from a central location.

I haven't seen that ad yet; but I know when McDonald's first introduced their egg mcmuffin, it was delicious, just as their hand-cut French fries were. Now everything is defrosted and kept in a heating tray. Yuck! If I want an egg mcmuffin, I make it myself. Much better, and takes half the time of waiting in line either inside or in the drive-through. Just put an egg in a small buttered bowl, cut a hole in the yolk, cover it with plastic wrap, and heat at 100% for one minute. While waiting, toast an English muffin, stick the Canadian bacon on it, plop the finished egg, and there you have it - in less time and a LOT less money than it takes to order it through the drive-through!

Truth. I have been making my own egg white mcmuffins for about 6 months now. I had to stop at McD's for breakfast one morning after a dentist visit and wow, was that a mistake. The egg white mcmuffin was far worse than what I could make at home and cost god knows how much more. I was angry at myself for being so lazy in the morning to make my own stupid mcmuffin and swore to not make that mistake again.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Actually, iHop's secret to their scrambled eggs is that they add pancake batter to the mix!

I tried that once and ended up with this weird batter thing...maybe I added too much pancake mix.
  • atypicalsmith
    Options
    Pancakes should be pancakes and eggs should be eggs! Yes, you need eggs in pancake batter. But some pancake recipes call for additional egg whites beaten to a froth to fold into the batter, which makes it way to eggy for me. Yes, they look better, but taste awful!
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    This is why certain things I wont eat out. I can make a ridiculously large breakfast/brunch for 1000 calories. That same meal would be triple at many restaurants and not taste any better, imo.
  • tmorm
    tmorm Posts: 32 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    The same way I could manage to. Trust me, if I didn't have to think about calories/weight my meal would have had a lot more butter and salt in it tonight.

OhmygoshYes. When I'm cooking for company, there is butter and salt and cheese EVERYWHERE.

Yep, I'm the same. All of the butter, salt and cheese!
  • JoRumbles
    JoRumbles Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Butter improves the taste of everything, but somehow I don't notice it missing when I cook at home. I have always cut down on the amount of oil/fat a recipe calls for when cooking- for example often when making a curry the recipe will say to brown the meat in maybe 3tbspns of oil, I've never found that necessary for a nice taste (I got fat by eating loads of naan and wine with it , in case anyone is wondering!)
  • topazora
    topazora Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I make it a point to not eat salads while eating out; I would get the get the asian chicken salad (or whatever it's called) from Jack in the Box and they were mostly ice burg or brown. I won't eat at most fast food places, but I'm still going to eat at IHOP and Chilis- maybe its the atmosphere. I don't eat out enough to make a difference in my weight loss anyway. Plus we don't have heart disease in my family, and my blood pressure and blood sugar were excellent when I was 70lbs heavier. So I'm going to to enjoy my salt and fatty butter, and the occasional trip to IHOP.
  • atypicalsmith
    Options
    Good for you! Bad for me, :neutral_face: