Couch To 5K, has anyone done it?

Options
I'm going to start it tomorrow as I want to get into running and eventually do marathons. I'm using podcasts instead of apps but I wanted to see if anyone has done it and if they have, what do they think of it and if they have any tips or advice to do it correctly.

Replies

• VintageMatch
    VintageMatch Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I graduated last week! So happy with the program. Biggest tip, GO SLOW. Trust me when you get to some of the longer runs and you will struggle a bit, people told me to slow down when I struggled and even though I thought if I went any slower Id be walking, it really helps. And don't be afraid to repeat days if you need to, I ran each run until I did it perfect, and even though I struggled at first, after week 5 day 2 I didn't have to repeat a single day. In 3 months you'll thank yourself :)
  • elfof2moons
    elfof2moons Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I am only on day 2 but I like it. My husband did it and has ran several 5Ks very successfully. He told me to go at my own pace and if I feel like I need to repeat weeks feel free too. It also helps to go ahead and find a 5K that you want to do, like 3 months out, so that you have a goal. Mine is July 11th
  • sea_dog
    sea_dog Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I did it a few years ago, and it worked. It's nice to do it with someone, for peer pressure. If you are up, and friend is down, you can support and coerce each other. Also, it's nice to schedule a race two months out, as it creates a goal that you are working towards, and you get a medal!

Take it easy to avoid injury.

Also, I didn't lose a pound during it. Although, I was not watching my calories either during it. I've come to the conclusion that calorie restriction is for weight loss, and exercise is for fitness and health. There's a lot of people that do hours on stair climbers, running, etc. and never lose weight. There's also people that don't exercise, but through monitoring their calories lose weight. However, doing both help both goals.

Good luck!

P.S. Buy good running shoes too. If you can go to a running store where they can make suggestions, do it. You pay a little more fore the shoes, but they can help fit the right shoe for you. For example, some people run differently ( pronation ), and New Balance make shoes for those types. Also if you are heavy, you may need more support and cushion on your heel. Good shoes cost $89-$120.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I have and with great success! After avoiding running for most of my life, for some reason at the age of 43 I decided to challenge myself and learn to run. That was nearly 4 years ago, and I'm still running and enjoying it. :smile:

I followed the program exactly, no extra days, no extra time or distance, took it as slow as necessary to complete each session's running segment - and I made it through without any injuries or repeated days. It worked great for me! I used the C25KFREE app by ZenLabs.
  • tho2004_418
    tho2004_418 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I'm currently on Week 2 Day 2 and I really feel like I'm accomplishing something. I have never been able to run for very long and this program seems to be easing me into it pretty well. I'm quite happy with my progress and this program. I'm excited for the day that I'm able to reach that 5K :).

I agree about the shoes, I'm flat-footed and need arch support.
  • haysavam
    haysavam Posts: 74 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I graduated last week! So happy with the program. Biggest tip, GO SLOW. Trust me when you get to some of the longer runs and you will struggle a bit, people told me to slow down when I struggled and even though I thought if I went any slower Id be walking, it really helps. And don't be afraid to repeat days if you need to, I ran each run until I did it perfect, and even though I struggled at first, after week 5 day 2 I didn't have to repeat a single day. In 3 months you'll thank yourself :)

I finished in The beginning of February. I have run my first two 5ks outside this week (I was progressing on to the 10k inside as it was still too cold) and tomorrow I will have my third :)

The apps are awesome. I used the one by clear sky or blue sky or something like that. I loved it. But as far as tips ^^^ see above- nail on the head.

Podcasts are good. When I started out I memorized the "I am a champion" inspirational locker room speech and said it to myself every time I ran. I eventually moved on to music. I tried podcasts once. Eh. Music is the best.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,437 Member
    Options
    I'm currently on week 3, day 3 might be due today. Running slowly is important, I noticed that as well. Other than that I always continue a bit after the workout of the day ended. At school I could never run 400m. I could not even run 200m but I do manage nearly 400 now and I'm so happy about it. Last training day I worked out for 4.5km, almost half of it was running :D
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    I finished about 2 1/2 years ago. It works.
    Take it slow. If you're having troubles, slow down.
    Go to a running store and have your feet fit to a good pair of shoes. Take an old pair of sneakers with you so that they can check the wear trends.
    It's a good program and works.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Did a couch to 10k about 18 months ago. It was awesome - it works - just make sure you GO SLOW.
  • granturismo
    granturismo Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I did it last year. I used the NHS podcasts.

I hit a mental block in the middle section and dropped back a week, hit another block about 3/4 way through, I then dropped the podcasts, changed my route, abandoned the plan and just added 2 or 5 minutes to each run (depending on how I felt) and ended up running for 30 minutes about 3-4 weeks after the c25k program was scheduled to finish.

I'm now running 5-6k twice a week and 7-10k at the weekend. My time for 5K is about 29 minutes now (I hadnt run in the previous 20 years) and am now concentrating on my heart rate rather than trying to get a quicker time.

If you dont meet some targets, drop back a week, change your route, maybe run with a group or friend. When I was on the c25k programme I was embarrassed to run with others but now run twice a week with work colleagues for my 5K and find it easier. I run with my dog at the weekend and also enjoy that.
  • hedkell
    hedkell Posts: 121 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Yep, went from couch to 5k to 10k to half marathon in 6 months. Just take it slow, you can do it!!

Amazing program, when I started I could not run at all and was obese. It took me 9 weeks to finish the program but when I did there was no stopping me.
  • sgthaggard
    sgthaggard Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    I'm just about to start my last week. I did it on the treadmill so that I could control speed and have some consistency. I'm currently taking the run between 8 and 8.8km/hr. Once I'm done, I'll up the incline and then move it outdoors.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    I did not follow the program, but my progression was basically similar. It is definitely a doable and reasonable program.
  • tat2cookie
    tat2cookie Posts: 1,902 Member
    Options
    I loved it!! I just finished it yesterday. I'm not super fast so I haven't gone the full 3.2 mi but I did get 3mi yesterday. And I'm also NOT a runner. It pushed me but not too far, and it also helped me push myself.
  • Rags_91
    Rags_91 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the useful tips and stories! My first few runs have gone as good as they can be starting out. I've been taking it slow like suggested and hopefully after a few weeks I'll see myself improve.
  • landfish
    landfish Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    My wife did it a couple of years ago. Lost a little weight and seemed to have fun.
  • heathbilly
    heathbilly Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Yes! now im training for a half marathon :) 5 months using endomondo.
  • DecemberPsalm
    DecemberPsalm Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I'm in the middle of week 6 and loving it, and I'm over 200lbs so weight is no excuse not to try it:) I could barely handle a minute of jogging 6 weeks ago and now can handle over 10....still is disbelief over it:)
  • AlciaMode
    AlciaMode Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Do It! What is worst that can happen? I started a couple weeks ago. Did ok. Stopped. Picked it back up from scratch today. I look forward to actual progress.
  • cincysweetheart
    cincysweetheart Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    Just Do it! Go slow. Trust the program. Repeat days if you have to… but don't repeat days just because you are afraid of moving on.

It's almost 100% mental. Your body will do whatever your mind tells it. If you say "I can't do this" Your body will likely say "Yup, you're right. You can't." And it will give out before you're even halfway done. On other hand if you think "I can and I will," your body will likely say "Okay. Let's do this." And you will find that you can… and you did!

Do it! Aim for the stars! Dead last beats did not finish. Which trumps did not start.

"You're crazy," they said, "to reach for the stars.
    The stars are much, much too high!
    You're crazy," they shouted, "Look at yourself.
    You're human, you can't even fly!"
    So, as I jumped, and sprang, and leaped,
    Laughing they all stood around.
    I did not reach the stars, as they said,
    But at least my feet left the ground.