How long does it take to burn off fat?

Options
My question is, let's say a person works out and does a lot of cardio one night. How long does it take for their body to use their stored body fat and then expell it so that it actually registers on the scale. The reason I ask is I had a hellacious workout lastnight and after I worked out even after all the sweat and water loss I weighed 217.8. Then today at about the same time of night I weighed myself and I was 2lbs lighter. My scale is really accurate too. Also if it helps I am on a 1500 cal a day diet. Basically I'm just asking how long does it take from once u start burning the calories how long does it take for your body to expell that used cAlorie weight.

Replies

• runnrchic
    runnrchic Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    3500 calorie deficit per pound.
  • Zedeff
    Zedeff Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    tpyott1 wrote: »
    My question is, let's say a person works out and does a lot of cardio one night. How long does it take for their body to use their stored body fat and then expell it so that it actually registers on the scale. The reason I ask is I had a hellacious workout lastnight and after I worked out even after all the sweat and water loss I weighed 217.8. Then today at about the same time of night I weighed myself and I was 2lbs lighter. My scale is really accurate too. Also if it helps I am on a 1500 cal a day diet. Basically I'm just asking how long does it take from once u start burning the calories how long does it take for your body to expell that used cAlorie weight.

Fat is burned continuously in real time. It is consumed as you use it.

Weight loss drops up to a week after fat loss in most people's experience because fat loss is often accompanied by water retention. Google the phrase "weight loss whoosh" for a pictorial explanation.
  • cunnaner
    cunnaner Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I've noticed by weighing myself every morning that my body tends to lose a lot over one or two days, will bounce back up a very slight bit and stall for another few days and then lose another pound or even two. I'm riding my bike indoors for 1-2 two hours every other day and doing pretty well sticking to my ~1600 calorie goal. I only eat back %50 or less of my exercise calories. I haven't been able to time it to any specific workout, more just a general trend.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    cunnaner wrote: »
    I've noticed by weighing myself every morning that my body tends to lose a lot over one or two days, will bounce back up a very slight bit and stall for another few days and then lose another pound or even two. I'm riding my bike indoors for 1-2 two hours every other day and doing pretty well sticking to my ~1600 calorie goal. I only eat back %50 or less of my exercise calories. I haven't been able to time it to any specific workout, more just a general trend.

Keep in mind that when you weigh yourself that often, not all of the changes you see are from fat loss. You're also seeing a great deal of water weight fluctuations from day to day.

• tpyott1
    tpyott1 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    My scale tells hydration levels I don't know how accurate it is in thst part but if that stays basically the same during each weigh in that I count can I chalk that up to fat loss and not just water levels in my body?
  • tpyott1
    tpyott1 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Thank you for telling me about that weight loss whoosh I consider myself more knowledgable than the avg joe and have never heard of that. That is really fascinTing. It makes me feel a lot better if I work my butt off and don't show a lot on weight is being lost. I mean I know I have to be with my diet being absolutely strict and me burning over 1/3 of what I eat excercising. Btw what is a good ratio like if I eat 1500 cal a day how much calories should I try to burn during excercise and cardio per day??
  • cunnaner
    cunnaner Posts: 12 Member
    Options

Keep in mind that when you weigh yourself that often, not all of the changes you see are from fat loss. You're also seeing a great deal of water weight fluctuations from day to day.

I totally agree and I have no issues weighing myself daily because I don't get hung up on the number. I'm just a numbers kind of person and like to be able to see trend data.

And honestly, it seems to match up with the whole whoosh thing, since my big drops timed to a workout/nonworkout day. It's more like a few day cycle. 2-3 days stalled, 2 days that drop, then stall, then drop. I'm in the early dieting stages though and have a good bit left to lose so the numbers are going to be more noticeable than a person who is close to their goal weight.

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I love this whoosh explanation

fcd3z7iqy74d.jpeg
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options

fcd3z7iqy74d.jpeg

Sadly, it ain't based in science.
  • JoRumbles
    JoRumbles Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I was just going to ask that TimothyFish- so there is no evidence for this? That's a shame, I was looking forward to waking up 5kg lighter tomorrow
  • SexyKatherine73
    SexyKatherine73 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    lol who would of thunk "the woosh effect" was bro science
  • Tabithas_Transformation
    Options
    I think the Whoosh Effect is just a theory right now but psychologically it definitely helps me when I go for a week with the exact same weight and then drop 3lb over night.

I know that's likely just water retention anyway but I do quite like the idea of it sitting in fat cells hahaha
  • ScottJTyler
    ScottJTyler Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    You start burning fat when you haven't eaten for a few hours and store fat after you eat. It's the net effect of these little deficits and surpluses that determine whether you lose or gain fat in the longer term.
    This might be helpful.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5bFy_WHYLI
  • kindrabbit
    kindrabbit Posts: 837 Member
    Options

fcd3z7iqy74d.jpeg

Shh!! I want this to be true!! ;)
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

fcd3z7iqy74d.jpeg

Shh!! I want this to be true!! ;)

Me too. Talk to the hand man :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    It's true if you squint like it's a magic eye painting...

Most fluctuations that you can measure by looking at the scale are water weight...if you are consistently at a caloric deficit, you are losing un-measurable bits of body fat each day...but those changes are dwarfed by water weight, especially in women.

So, the specifics of the diagram may be off...but the concept is pretty reality-based. So, in the world of broscience, this one falls on the harmless end of the spectrum