How important is water to weight loss

Options
Before I get all kinds of answers saying water is good for the entire body and that it helps you feel full I am not talking about that. What I am asking is how important is water in helping your metabolism and burning fat. The reason I ask this is I am currently doing the nutrisystem diet ( it has been great btw) and my only problem has been drinking my daily amount of water they want you to drink. I am not a huge water fan and I hate having to go to the restroom 230 times a day lol. Basically let's say drinking the correct amount of water I lose 8lbs a month doing everything correct with diet and excercise. How much would I lose if I drank 60% of that amount but still did everything else exactly the same? Thank you everyone!

Replies

• galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Dehydration will make you lethargic. So staying hydrated will help keep you more active because you won't feel like *kitten* all the time. If you're more active, you'll burn more calories. So it will help with weight loss in that sense.

If your going to the bathroom more than 8-10 times in 24 hours you're probably drinking too much and the extra water isn't helping you in any way.
  • SexyKatherine73
    SexyKatherine73 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    makes no difference but water helps flushes out salt and other toxins and helps to prevent constipation. if you hate water so much add lemon or something to it or drink tea... you can't avoid bathroom breaks either it's not good for your kidneys.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    You need about 6 eight ounces of water a day. More is not better.

l2xyvlo9msxb.jpg
  • tpyott1
    tpyott1 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. Speaking of urine color a few years ago I had the bright idea of lifting weights again. ( I used go be an avid bodybuilder. However, 10 yr later without lifting a weight I was in terrible shape. Unfortunately my ego and pride was as large as ever. That day I lifted my a55 off. I tried to do what I used to do and let's just say it wasn't smart. That night I went to the bathroom and was horrified. My urine was literally as dark as Pepsi or a coca cola! It scared me to death! I was hydrated fine so I knew it had to do with me lifting weights and over doing it. So I looked online and found out that it is common especially people who do marathons and thst it can cause kidney failure. From what I understood and remember when you workout you cause microscopic tears in the muscle and your body repairs itself and makes itself bigger and better to adapt. Well that day apparently I caused so much muscle fiber damage I was basically urinating broken down muscle. ( again that's how I understood it and how I remember it). I'm not even going to mention the soreness that followed the next day. Let's just say it was another few years before I lifted weights again and when I did I worked myself into it super slowly lol.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Yowsas! I bet you were freaked out! :open_mouth:
  • Curlychip
    Curlychip Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    It is possible to drink too much water also. If its more than 8 cups the I wouldn't worry about forcing yourself unless you are exercising
  • kateloewke
    kateloewke Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Water is vital for our bodies - whether we exercise or not. Our bodies are more than 60% water, by the way. Water helps lubricate our gut to aid digestion. It helps to curb appetite to decrease empty calorie consumption. Water helps to transport nutrients throughout our bodies so that we can keep moving! Water is essential for chemical processes that occur within our bodies - from muscle repair and building after workouts to hormone production throughout our lives. Water boosts your metabolism and is the perfect "detox" drink!! There are so many ways our bodies need water!
    Up until very recently, I was not drinking enough water and I knew it. I am active in exercise and fitness. Finally, the light bulb came on and I have been drinking what my body needs (rule of thumb - drink half your body weight in ounces. So if you weigh 200 lbs, shoot for 100 ounces of water daily). I am not overweight but I have lost a few pounds since I upped my water intake.
    Don't cheat yourself! Keep up the good work!!
    ~ Kate
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    As long as you are staying hydrated, drinking more water isn't going to help you lose more weight. And if you don't like plain water, drink something else. There's nothing special about plain water, other than it has fewer calories than other things you might drink.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Thirst can be confused with hunger. Adequate hydration prevents those false hunger pains.
    50452 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I remember learning in college, and I think it was in Anatomy & Physiology, that it takes at least one water molecule to transport a stored fat molecule to where it is needed. If you are under hydrated, your body will delegate the water to do something more vital. I took this class a very long time ago, so I'm a little fuzzy. But I remember that because it really struck a cord with me.
  • kandell
    kandell Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    The extra trips to the bathroom are definitely annoying. But it's a good reason to get some extra steps in.