What am I doing wrong?

Options
I'm working out a minimum of 30 minutes each day including cardio and weights. I'm always within my calories and have even tried upping my calories thinking I wasn't eating enough but here I am 3 months into my "change" and the scale has only moved 11 lbs. :neutral_face: I've heard the song and dance about muscle weighs more than fat and I get it but at what point will the scale start showing me some results? I feel great and I'm losing inches because I'm measuring which is great and should be enough but it just isn't.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Scale won't budge in Minnesota.

Replies

• Kelley0519
    Kelley0519 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    How many calories are you eating per day? Are you drinking lots of water?
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    You lost 11 pounds. That is about a pound a week which is healthy. Do you use a food scale and log accurately? Do you eat back exercise calories? Perhaps your exercise burns are too high. Are your goals set correctly? Did you choose you are "active" when you are closer to "lightly active"? There are a lot of reasons why you might not be losing as much as expected. I assume you chose "I want to lose 2 pounds per week".
  • rosnigetsfit
    rosnigetsfit Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    What are your stats?
  • DirtyTrickster
    DirtyTrickster Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Are you on any meds that retain water?

How's your sodium intake?

These are things that messed up lost wight for me
  • mrsewert
    mrsewert Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Yes I drink on average 10+ cups of water day.

I don't use a food scale and I know my eating could be better but it's better than it ever was before. I measure things with a measuring cup perhaps a scale is better? I chose "lightly active" do to my desk job. And yes I would like to lose 2lbs per week.

Not sure what you are looking for rosnigetsfit?
  • mrsewert
    Options
    Are you on any meds that retain water?

How's your sodium intake?

These are things that messed up lost wight for me

No meds! I do go over on sodium some days.

• deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Get a food scale, really. Most people underestimate their calories. Most of the time by a lot.
  • brookesdsu
    brookesdsu Posts: 47 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Many people here strongly suggest the use of a food scale as it is much more accurate than using measuring cups for solids.
  • mrsewert
    Options
    Thanks deksgrl I'll look into that. :)

I am currently doing the Couch25k challenge too.
  • sgthaggard
    sgthaggard Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    If you are losing between a half pound and a pound a week, I would say you are doing very well. Yes, buy a food scale - you will be amazed how much of a difference it can make.
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    You're not doing anything wrong; you're doing everything right and seeing a steady weight loss. You're getting smaller. Why are you so concerned about the number on the scale? Everyone else can see how you look, not the number on the scale.
  • snowflakesav
    snowflakesav Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    11 pounds over 12 weeks seems very close to being on track. That is something to celebrate! I think you are on the right track and evaluating your progress will help you be successful.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    I stopped at
    I dont use a foodscale
    . Get the basics right or deal with being less effective than you might be. 30mins exercise spread over cardio and weights is not masses its ok and everything counts, but dont have unrealistic expectations.
  • carmenrosab
    carmenrosab Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I think you're doing great. Get a food scale, you have no idea how much that helps. It makes a huge difference. Try not to be too low on calories, I had mine at 1,000 and that was way too low. I'm at 1,200 now and I eat back all of my exercise calorie burns. Also, don't over estimate calories burned during exercise.
  • rosnigetsfit
    rosnigetsfit Posts: 569 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I was asking for your height and weight.

11lbs in 3 months seems a healthy weight lost to me. Why does it bother you?
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    How much do you have to lose? 2 pounds could be too aggressive for you depending on the amount.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Because she feels her effort should be yielding more weight loss than that.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    There is no song and dance about muscle weighing more than fat. A pound of muscle weighs the same as a pound of fat. Muscle is denser...

And for 11 pounds in 12 weeks... that is perfect and very healthy and attainable for long term results in keeping it off once you have met your goals.

Keep at it... you are doing well!
  • mrsewert
    Options
    I have 100+ lbs to lose so I don't think 2lbs per week is unrealistic. I'm not throwing in the towel because like I said I feel great, I'm more active than I've been in a very long time and clothes are fitting differently so I know things are happening. I guess it's a personal struggle to want to see that number on the scale move.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    mrsewert wrote: »
    I have 100+ lbs to lose so I don't think 2lbs per week is unrealistic. I'm not throwing in the towel because like I said I feel great, I'm more active than I've been in a very long time and clothes are fitting differently so I know things are happening. I guess it's a personal struggle to want to see that number on the scale move.

You're right, it isn't unrealistic, but often people come here with just 10-20 pounds to lose and choose that amount. Definitely pick up a food scale and start weighing. You'll be amazed at how far off portions are from what you think!