Cauliflower Tots: Better than expected!

Options
guinevere96
guinevere96 Posts: 1,445 Member
www.skinnytaste.com/2013/11/cauliflower-tots.html

I was pleasantly surprised with how tasty these were. Im not the biggest veggie eater but im trying! I heard cauliflower can be a good substitute for potatoes, and I happened to not have any potatoes last night and a huge head of cauliflower.

They legitimately taste like slightly sweet tater tots. I threw in a little onion powder because I didn't have garlic (I wish I had garlic), but these were awesome. I also didn't have breadcrumbs so I used a cornmeal type thing, which worked just as well. Personally I needed more than one full egg to keep the mixture together, but it could've worked with just one. They came out beautiful too, ill post a photo in the replies later.

Id give it like. 7/10

Replies

• AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options
    The skinnytaste zucchini tots are also tasty.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Why?!??!?!?! :s
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    jkwolly wrote: »

Instead of thinking of them as a replacement for Tater Tots, think of them as a clever way of getting in a vegetable for someone who struggles with doing that.

• Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options

Every time I see some type of food being replaced by cauliflower, makes me wanna cry. :'(

• guinevere96
    Options

Instead of thinking of them as a replacement for Tater Tots, think of them as a clever way of getting in a vegetable for someone who struggles with doing that.

EXACTLY. Im really weird about textures which make veggies a difficult thing for me sometimes, so ive been trying to get creative.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I'm going to make these tonight.
  • TheRoadDog
    Options
    Serah87 wrote: »

Every time I see some type of food being replaced by cauliflower, makes me wanna cry. :'(

I started making a version of a cauliflower flat bread and covering it with carmelized onions and sauteed mushrooms several months ago. My wife and one of her friends ask me to make it for them about once a week. It's deliecious.

There's nothing wrong with experimenting. Especially if it's healthier.

• kducky22
    kducky22 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    TheRoadDog wrote: »

I started making a version of a cauliflower flat bread and covering it with carmelized onions and sauteed mushrooms several months ago. My wife and one of her friends ask me to make it for them about once a week. It's deliecious.

There's nothing wrong with experimenting. Especially if it's healthier.

...aaaannnndddd now I need the recipe
  • jazzandbill
    jazzandbill Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    this sounds really good.. wouldnt mind the recipe.. my family is not so good on veggies and this would be a good way to introduce cauliflower
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options

Good point!

I just loathe cauliflower :'(
  • mrd1986
    mrd1986 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Can't wait to try these. Thanks for sharing!
  • janettewhitehead39
    Options
    I use cauliflower to make a version of egg fried rice only cauliflower instead of rice. Yummy
  • RBfittest
    Options

This seems to be the "in" thing to say about anything cauliflower here on MFP. If you want lower calorie and have a similar food, why not try something different. If you don't like it, don't have it. Some of the cauliflower substitute dishes are pretty good, some are just downright awful to me, but if the person ate less and met their goals, great.
  • TheRoadDog
    Options
    Made this last night. Wife and I both loved it. Thanks.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options

But...potatoes are vegetables...

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

every time you substitute cauliflower for real food an angel dies….sad day :(
  • leehoneyhall
    leehoneyhall Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    www.skinnytaste.com/2013/11/cauliflower-tots.html

I was pleasantly surprised with how tasty these were. Im not the biggest veggie eater but im trying! I heard cauliflower can be a good substitute for potatoes, and I happened to not have any potatoes last night and a huge head of cauliflower.

They legitimately taste like slightly sweet tater tots. I threw in a little onion powder because I didn't have garlic (I wish I had garlic), but these were awesome. I also didn't have breadcrumbs so I used a cornmeal type thing, which worked just as well. Personally I needed more than one full egg to keep the mixture together, but it could've worked with just one. They came out beautiful too, ill post a photo in the replies later.

Id give it like. 7/10

• aquamarina_182
    aquamarina_182 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I made cauliflower fried faux rice last night because I had no rice left and it tasted amazing :) cauliflower is awesome
  • guinevere96
    Options

Yes potatoes are veggies, cauliflower is lower in calories though. And really its not just a substitute for everyones beloved tater tots, its just a way to eat cauliflower that was actually pretty good.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options

Yes potatoes are veggies, cauliflower is lower in calories though. And really its not just a substitute for everyones beloved tater tots, its just a way to eat cauliflower that was actually pretty good.
    Haha,I know. I was just trolling a bit. I would actually at least try them!