Cardio vs weight training to lose weight

Options
Which is more effective in addition to a calorie deficit?

Replies

• TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    You need to do both.
  • DirtyTrickster
    DirtyTrickster Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I figured I'd get this answer.

Specifically, which is better for losing weight?
  • JayRuby84
    JayRuby84 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Lift heavy and do a little bit of cardio. I used to camp out on the cardio machines and didn't see results until I started doing weights hard.
  • clipartghost
    clipartghost Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Neither is effective for losing weight, but weight training will help make the weight you do lose more fat instead of muscle
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Neither. Both burn calories. How many calories one burns vs the other is HUUUGELY variable. Which is "better" will largely depend on what you do and how you do it.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Neither is effective for losing weight, but weight training will help make the weight you do lose more fat instead of muscle

I thought we were beyond this. Given a reasonable diet, cardio has very similar muscle-sparing qualities as does lifting.
  • DirtyTrickster
    Options
    JayRuby84 wrote: »
    Lift heavy and do a little bit of cardio. I used to camp out on the cardio machines and didn't see results until I started doing weights hard.
    I lift heavy 5 days a week now, but was debating lifting 3 days and doing some treadmill action 2 days. Not sure if it will help or hinder my weight loss goals.
    Ok - which is more effective at burning calories.

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,871 Member
    Options
    diet for weight control; exercise for fitness.

Here's an example of what I mean by that...I train hard and I train a lot...on average I ride 60-80 miles per week or so...I do some cross training a couple days per week on the elliptical and do more swimming during the summer...and I lift 3x weekly. I have lost weight doing this...I have maintained my weight for over a year and a half doing this...and I did a bulk cycle doing this (though I did cut back on some cardio because I just couldn't eat that much consistently).

The primary difference between those three weight control objectives was not the exercise...it was my diet and my energy (calorie) consumption.
  • mperrott2205
    mperrott2205 Posts: 737 Member
    Options

They both are. Just do your 5 days a week of lifting followed by a 30 minute walk on a 10% incline.
  • lmr0528
    lmr0528 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Just do what you enjoy. End of story.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    lose weight faster - cardio.

look better when you get there - weights

best option - happy medium between the two.
  • DirtyTrickster
    Options
    defmut3 wrote: »
    They both are. Just do your 5 days a week of lifting followed by a 30 minute walk on a 10% incline.

Time is a premium, so I need to choose one or the other. I have 1 hour during lunch where I get to the gym, so I need to choose to lift or run. After work "me" time is not an option.

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,622 Member
    Options
    If it's just weight loss you're looking for, then long long endurance cardio while not consuming enough carbs and protein to support muscle sparing.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• ScottJTyler
    ScottJTyler Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Cardio for 10 minutes after 50 mins resistance training? Cardio and resistance training on alternating days?
  • mperrott2205
    mperrott2205 Posts: 737 Member
    Options

Time is a premium, so I need to choose one or the other. I have 1 hour during lunch where I get to the gym, so I need to choose to lift or run. After work "me" time is not an option.

Could always go before work, I do.

Regardless - In that case, do what you enjoy most so you don't lose motivation and make sure your diet is in check.
  • clipartghost
    clipartghost Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    jacksonpt wrote: »

I thought we were beyond this. Given a reasonable diet, cardio has very similar muscle-sparing qualities as does lifting.
    So why do bodybuilders still lift weights when cutting?

Ok - which is more effective at burning calories.
    Personally, lifting weights doesn't have any measurable effect on my TDEE. I don't even count it on MFP, I just count aerobic training.

• amitkatz0
    amitkatz0 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Why not just do cardio on your "rest days" between lifting? Or do neither. Exercise will help you retain your muscle mass while you're in a calorie deficit, but from what I understand it's not going to accelerate your weight loss.
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,324 Member
    Options

cardio for weight loss. weights for making muscle... I always go after the loss and then start my weights again...I value my time.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options

err because its the correct answer. They do different things, one helps your cardio vascular system as well as burning calories and the other helps you maintain muscle mass. You need to understand what that means before making your choice or just accept you do both because they give different benefits.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options

Calorie deficit for weight loss, exercise for fitness. I do both cardio and weight training, but if I had to choose one over the other, I'd go for the weights, or a workout that incorporated a mix of HIIT and weights - you can pack a good mix of both into a short amount of time - perfect for a lunch break workout.