What am I doing wrong?

Options

Replies

• 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    mrsewert wrote: »
    I have 100+ lbs to lose so I don't think 2lbs per week is unrealistic. I'm not throwing in the towel because like I said I feel great, I'm more active than I've been in a very long time and clothes are fitting differently so I know things are happening. I guess it's a personal struggle to want to see that number on the scale move.

Then get the basics sorted out if you want to diet effectively and lose at a greater rate. We cant see your diary so we have no idea if whether you have a reasonable expectation of 2lbs a week based on what you are doing. Your body says no at the moment.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    The difference between a one and two pound per week loss is 500 calories per day. Honestly, that isn't a difficult amount to negate with inaccurate logging. The intake side of the equation is easier to narrow down .. weigh all solids, measure all liquids, be judicious when selecting entries in the database.

The exercise burn side of the equation can be harder to nail down. Caloric burn from lifting is almost impossible to accurately estimate which is why MFP doesn't provide calories for it when it is logged as strength training. Cardio is easy to overestimate and many calculators report gross, not net from exercise calories. For a person with a resting metabolic rate of 2400 (just a nice easy number for this example) that works out for one hour, the difference in net and gross is 100 calories. A start point for net calories from walking is .3 x weight in pounds x miles ... or for running .63 x weight in pounds x miles ... not 100% accurate but they should get you in the ballpark. For other activities ... here is a link to MET tables and the explanation of how to calculate a burn ....

http://prevention.sph.sc.edu/tools/compendium.htm

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Are you using a food scale?
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    What is your calorie goal set at? Opening your diary would make it easier for people to help you.
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    I have 100+ lbs to lose so I don't think 2lbs per week is unrealistic. I'm not throwing in the towel because like I said I feel great, I'm more active than I've been in a very long time and clothes are fitting differently so I know things are happening. I guess it's a personal struggle to want to see that number on the scale move.

the scale didn't go up overnight so it won't go down overnight either. you are doing great!!! you should be proud of that 11lbs loss! buy a food scale, ditch the measuring cups. keep at it. eventually you will lose the weight. watch your sodium intake.
  • iamchuckbass78
    iamchuckbass78 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I think 11 pounds in 3 months is good. Especially since you admit your eating could be better. And honestly, its probably even worse than you think when you consider how much people misjudged measurements and portion sizes. If you want to increase your speed of weight loss you have to be careful about what you're consuming.
  • Neyllogem
    Neyllogem Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    deksgrl wrote: »
    Get a food scale, really. Most people underestimate their calories. Most of the time by a lot.

This. I started using a food scale about a week ago and I was surprised by how much I was underestimating my food. I was consuming 300+ calories more than I thought I was each day.

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    I'm working out a minimum of 30 minutes each day including cardio and weights. I'm always within my calories and have even tried upping my calories thinking I wasn't eating enough but here I am 3 months into my "change" and the scale has only moved 11 lbs. :neutral_face: I've heard the song and dance about muscle weighs more than fat and I get it but at what point will the scale start showing me some results? I feel great and I'm losing inches because I'm measuring which is great and should be enough but it just isn't.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Scale won't budge in Minnesota.

Wait a minute. You've lost 11 pounds in three months and you're upset?

That is actually terrific progress.

You didn't gain the weight the weight overnight so you won't lose it overnight, weight loss is not linear, weight naturally fluctuates, patience is a virtue....and I could think of a whole lot of other truths to throw your way. :)

Just keep doing what you're doing, take your time, and create some sustainable changes in your eating habits. There is no need to rush anything at all.
  • MomTo3Lovez
    MomTo3Lovez Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    You may not be seeing a loss on the scale BUT you are seeing a loss in inches which means what you are doing seems to be working. I try not going by the scale as much anymore and just go by measurements and how my clothes feel and how I feel. And you are right 2lbs a week for 100+ lbs to lose is not unrealistic. I agree with everyone else in buying a food scale, you may be eating more than you think by using measuring cups. 11lbs in 12 weeks is nothing to be unhappy about that is amazing!!!
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    Yes I drink on average 10+ cups of water day.

I don't use a food scale and I know my eating could be better but it's better than it ever was before. I measure things with a measuring cup perhaps a scale is better? I chose "lightly active" do to my desk job. And yes I would like to lose 2lbs per week.

Not sure what you are looking for rosnigetsfit?

What are your stats?

How much do you have to lose?
  • ShellF415
    ShellF415 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    How are you measuring your calorie burn? The MFP estimates are really high. That being said, you are about on course for what you should be losing.
  • 999tigger
    Options
    Losing 2lbs a week would be quite feasible, (but without more information which has been asked for) then its impossible to weigh up what she is doing compared to what her expectations are. If it were me then id want to be checking that if my target was 2lb a week. Read Brian Perkins post if you want to understand what the issue is and learn about taking the steps to become more effective.
  • ladybarometer
    ladybarometer Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Try tracking inches. You're not doing anything wrong. 11 lbs in 3 months is about a pound a week, which is good steady weight loss. Weight loss like that is also easier to maintain.
  • 999tigger
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Whilst 1lb a week is ok, that misses the point in that she wants/expects to lose more. Its hard to know either way unless we know more about what she is doing. It would be feasible for a person to lose 2lb a week and the OP could make changes to do so.
  • blossomingbutterfly
    blossomingbutterfly Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    A lot of useful information in this thread already but to reitterate:

- food scale
    - weight everything
    - log everything
    - set realistic goals
    - congratulate yourself on what you've lost thus far!

;)
  • scottacular
    scottacular Posts: 597 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I'm working out a minimum of 30 minutes each day including cardio and weights. I'm always within my calories and have even tried upping my calories thinking I wasn't eating enough but here I am 3 months into my "change" and the scale has only moved 11 lbs. :neutral_face: I've heard the song and dance about muscle weighs more than fat and I get it but at what point will the scale start showing me some results? I feel great and I'm losing inches because I'm measuring which is great and should be enough but it just isn't.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Scale won't budge in Minnesota.

That's about 1 lb a week weight loss, which is ideal. A 0.5 - 2 lbs a week loss should always be the aim, and you're nailing it. Keep it up, you're doing great. Don't fall for the trap many newbies do that weight loss is a race where the winner is who can lose the most in the shortest amount of time. The real winners are those who develop sustainable habits which improve their health. To me it sounds like that's exactly what you're doing, so don't be tempted to change things that don't need changing.
  • ThatLadyFromMN
    ThatLadyFromMN Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I'd say a food scale is key. :) I need to get one too, I think that's where I'm plateauing... also need to clean up the diet on my end. Lol. I know quality is very very important. Maybe up the amount of time you're working out as well? 30 minutes is a nice start but maybe going up to like 45 minutes on weights and then 15-20 cardio? That's kind of what I do at the gym and then I take an additional 30 minutes during my lunch break to walk. I've been plateaued in the loss department since September so I need to ramp it up in the cardio dept I think... plus eating better. Lol. I have hella muscles now so that might account for some of the plateau but... food... just need to clean it up. :) 1lb a week is great though! as long as you're staying consistent in your losses that's great!! But again, if you want that 2/week you'll maybe need to ramp up the workouts. :) Which is easier now that we've been able to dig ourselves out of the snow here in Minnesota!! :D:D:D
  • cunnaner
    cunnaner Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    On top of everyone saying get a food scale, which I'd say is huge. I found that being sure to not skip anything when logging has really helped me. Little things like some butter here, some oil in there, and maybe some nuts to snack on while cooking were adding a couple hundred calories per day and going untracked.
  • mrsewert
    mrsewert Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your responses. I bought a food scale on my lunch break and will give that a whirl. I appreciate all the time you took to cheer me on as well. I know I should be proud...I can't be the only one that wants to see the scale move as well as everything else.

Thanks again!!
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    A pound a week ==> "wrong".

lol.

Unrealistic expectations much?