Waning Motivation

Options
I started using MFP in June of 2014. I have lost a little over 60 lbs to date. The last month or so I am really struggling with staying on task. I'm overeating on the weekends and having a hard time getting my rump in gear to exercise.
Anyone else run into this issue? What did you do to get back on task?

Replies

• CObluegrass
    CObluegrass Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    when motivation wanes, I have to rely on determination, tenacity, stubbornness and commitment. It also helps to look at success stories, write out my goals again, review my list of 120 or so reasons to lose weight, look at old pictures of me or read a weight-loss book of some sort. Trying a new recipe also helps me b/c sometimes I just get bored and a new food or new recipe can give me the oomph I need to keep going. A hike to clear my head helps too, or a really, really good sweaty workout that leaves me like a wet noodle. You look fantastic! Keep going!
  • htg20
    htg20 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Sometimes you just have to let it run its course. Keep within your boundaries so you can maintain right now and then when you are feeling more motivated, take it up a notch. Keep in mind why you started and that you don't want to be wishing you had kept going a year from now.
  • FluffySandwich
    FluffySandwich Posts: 1,293 Member
    Options
    I'm new here, but I would guess that joining a group or looking at all the success stories popping up might help. Also, posting a thread like this might give you some motivation! Sixty pounds is nothing to laugh at, that is a great accomplishment and I think you look amazing. You already lost 60 pounds and I know you have it in you to lose the rest!

If anything, you might want to do an easier exercise like go walking for a bit.... maybe it might motivate you to gradually take it back up a notch :)
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    Yep, this happens to everyone. And these are the moments when you just have to dig in and go to the gym. I find that once I get my exercise routine back in gear, diet follows.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    Kristyai3 wrote: »
    I started using MFP in June of 2014. I have lost a little over 60 lbs to date. The last month or so I am really struggling with staying on task. I'm overeating on the weekends and having a hard time getting my rump in gear to exercise.
    When I have clients that start to fade I do the usual: I take them over to the weight rack, unrack the amount of weight they have lost and have them climb the stairs carrying them. It reminds them of how far they've came and that they don't ever want to feel like that again.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• Katiebear_81
    Katiebear_81 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    PRMinx wrote: »
    Yep, this happens to everyone. And these are the moments when you just have to dig in and go to the gym. I find that once I get my exercise routine back in gear, diet follows.

This. I trick myself back to the gym by buying myself a bit of shiny new gear. I *have* to go to the gym, else I'm wasting the money I just spent on XYZ exercise item/tech/clothing/etc. I bought myself a fitbit Charge HR in January. I've really enjoyed watching the metrics on that (but I am a numbers geek). Is there something similar that could motivate you (that fits in your budget/lifestyle)? Even a new top or something?
  • FluffySandwich
    FluffySandwich Posts: 1,293 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Kristyai3 wrote: »
    When I have clients that start to fade I do the usual: I take them over to the weight rack, unrack the amount of weight they have lost and have them climb the stairs carrying them. It reminds them of how far they've came and that they don't ever want to feel like that again.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
    That's a good one, too.
  • Kristyai3
    Kristyai3 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Excellent advice all. Thank you! I see a new pair of running shoes in my future this weekend!
  • amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    Options
    Sign up for some kind of challenge, whether a 5k, a fun run or something that is in the future and you know you'll have to motivate to complete. Good luck