To buy weighing scales or not

Options
I no that if I buy scales I will be on them every day but its so embarrassing going in to the chemist to get weighed. Is anyone else like me constantly on the scales if they have them?

Replies

• nickatine
    nickatine Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    you definitely should , I jus weighed out my cup of kasha go lean this morning for the hell of it , and I realized that id been consuming almost double for the last few months, . Now it hasn't hindered my weight loss at all, but I am in maintenance.
  • dfranch
    dfranch Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I weigh every morning, and don't see a problem with it. Now if you're weighing throughout the day, that's another thing.
  • RiverMelSong
    RiverMelSong Posts: 456 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    You don't have to if you're afraid of becoming obsessed with your weight. You could always track your progress by measuring :)
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I weigh daily or if I get bored. You have to decide whats best for you, although your reasons are a little different.

Embarrassment in chemist v getting obssessed and stressing about it. Only you can weigh that up.

Theres nothing wrong with weighing yourself how many times a day, but you will have to think whether this might get a bit unhealthy/ obssessional as well as deter, stress and upset you. If it will then id stick with the chemist. Will it encourage you if the weight goes down and will you get upset if i goes up? Can you handle it/

On the other hand if you just plot the weight all you will get is data, which will track the trend of where you are going. You also need to understand your weight fluctuates and you cna retain water. You need not to get worried about this, hence the suggestion to track.

In any event you should be using other methods such as the tape measure and any performance/ exercise measures as well as the mirror to chart your movement.

I think they are a valuable tool and motivator, but thats all it is. Noy worth getting obssessed and upset over, its what you are doing beforehand that you need to focus on.
  • jodeswood007
    jodeswood007 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I only do a Friday morning weigh in but I do check's sometimes during the week. Seeing the numbers go down gives me motivation.
    If your talking about food scales, they are a must! I measure almost everything, sometimes you find that you can eat much more than you originally thought.
  • sleezysterling
    Options
    Thanks everyone. It was scales to weigh myself that I was talking about.
  • samfitbit
    samfitbit Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I picked up an Aria scale that logs your weight and bodyfat online.
    Losing weight and losing fat are two different things.

Heck i'd be happy to lose 25lbs of pure fat and stay the same weight, but we know that's not possible. just make sure you are aware of that and set your expectations so that you do not get frustrated.
  • JmmJ1986
    JmmJ1986 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I bought a new set of scales and was on them every day for the first week or two. Haha. But then I read some where that it is ideal to weigh yourself once a week (same day and time). So I have put the scale out of sight and wrote a reminder on my calendar for every week.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    There is no ideal its what suits the individual. Both have pros and cons.
  • CountessKitteh
    CountessKitteh Posts: 1,505 Member
    Options
    nickatine wrote: »
    you definitely should , I jus weighed out my cup of kasha go lean this morning for the hell of it , and I realized that id been consuming almost double for the last few months, . Now it hasn't hindered my weight loss at all, but I am in maintenance.

...did you even read the OP?