I'm wondering why P90X and other Beachboy workouts are not in the database?...

Options
I'm under the impression that these workouts are very popular and ones that many people who use myfitnesspal do. Does anyone know why they are not in the database for easy use? Or, do you know how many calories these workouts typically burn? (I guess that I could wear a heart monitor and find out myself!)

Replies

• jonpat21
    jonpat21 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I just started insanity and the best web based calculator I could find is on insanitycalories.com . Just put in your weight, level of intensity and how long your work out was then it will give you est calories burned. I then create them in my fitness pal under "My Exercises" hope that helps.
  • CyberTone
    CyberTone Posts: 7,337 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Many, but not all, fee-based exercise programs are copyrighted, trademarked, and proprietary. If an exercise does not have published METs (metabolic equivalent for tasks) multiplication factors, then MFP can not add them to the database, since MFP uses METs factors for estimates of Calories burned.
  • stevesample76
    stevesample76 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Your best bet is going to be to wear a HRM if you have one. Personally I never add my exercise here. I only use MFP to track my intake.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    HRMs will significantly over-estimate calorie burns for those types of workouts.
  • slittle80
    slittle80 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I wore a HRM for my entire first round of insanity and Body Beast to establish a baseline of calories burned, but only log them for tracking purposes, not to re-feed the calories burned so the actual amount burned was just for my own information and to keep my pushing hard.
  • aliakynes
    aliakynes Posts: 352 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Those fitness programs use the TDEE method and come with calorie recommendations based on fitness level, height, weight, age, weight goals, etc. So take whatever calorie recommendation it calculated for you and enter that as your daily goal on MFP (or make sure you average that number over the week to meet your goals).

NOTE: this method does not require that you add exercise calories on top of it.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    jonpat21 wrote: »
    I just started insanity and the best web based calculator I could find is on insanitycalories.com . Just put in your weight, level of intensity and how long your work out was then it will give you est calories burned. I then create them in my fitness pal under "My Exercises" hope that helps.

This. If you google "P90X calories" there is a similar calculator available for each workout.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Calorie burns are so hard to guesstimate - height, weight, age, gender, exertion level and more. MFP cannot know how hard the workout was for you.

General categories let you know - "this is a general ballpark number." Giving a specific name (to thousands) of DVDs may make the "guesstimate" appear to be more accurate. It won't be.

Heart rate monitors are designed for steady state cardio....not Hiit, not circuit training, not strength training. HRMs use your heart rate (resting vs. exertion) to estimate a burn, so a chest strap model is going to be closer.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    As above. Too much variation in intensity level.
  • lmramos1
    lmramos1 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I would get a heart rate monitor. I used insanity calories for the entire insanity program and logged them into MFP but then got a heart rate monitor and found that I was over estimating my calories burned by 100. Makes a huge difference if you are trying to lose weight.
  • PAtinCO
    PAtinCO Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I put everything in as walking 3mph. I figure that just about any exercise I do will burn more than that so there's less risk of accidentally eating back more than I burn.