NEEDED: words of motivation and support :(

Options
Hey everyone,

I've actually been feeling really down lately ... for almost two weeks now, due to a lot of things going on in my personal life.

As a result, I have been splurging on unhealthy foods. In fact, to the point I'm eating fast food once or twice a day, chocholate bars, and other crap for a whopping minimum of 2500+ calories a day if not more. I was doing a great job at first, and now I weight 148 lbs again. Plus, I havn't done any excersize whatsoever. I used to go to the gym and do home workouts.

I feel like I can't seem to get my self back into my 'healthy and active' mindframe again. I thought that maybe my fellow MFP members can offer a motivational boost for me to get back on track.

Thanks a million!

Replies

• concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Have you been moving your body? I find that for myself, it helps to move first - then I don't want to undo the work with junk.

Good luck - and remember: knowing what you have been doing and being here are both steps in the right direction!!
  • thetigerzeye
    thetigerzeye Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Everyone gets that way sometimes, you need to fight it, you need to talk to someone either in your real life or on here about what's going on (maybe not all of it but at least some!) Together we can fight through this with you and get you back on track, you've already done so well you we don't want to see you have to start again and I know you don't want that either. *hug* be strong, keep working at it, we know you can do this!
  • rjfarless
    rjfarless Posts: 1
    Options
    Call a friend for coffee or a walk. Have black coffee or tea. Get out of the house and think of things that you are greatful for. Think of what is good right now...you are alive, you have family?, you have good friends, etc.
  • anner53108
    anner53108 Posts: 103
    Options
    I second that -- for me, the key was starting to work out regularly. And I know that's tough. I've never been a fan of exercise, but once I got started and stuck with it for a few weeks, I saw how much better I felt (and how I *wanted* to eat better to not undo my hard work).

Sometimes you just have to force yourself to workout, even when every fiber of your being doesn't want to! Just do it. Get up, and put on some workout clothes. You'd feel pretty lame sitting there in your workout clothes watching TV, right? So get movin'!

The mantra I always tell myself when I'd much rather stay in bed or be a slug: I almost ALWAYS regret NOT working out. But I NEVER regret working out.

And keeping track of everything you eat and all your exercise here on MFP is key, too (especially with an open diary!). It will hold you accountable for what you're doing (for yourself and your MFP friends) and it will inspire you to do well ("Aw, I don't want to have to log in a Big Mac!") :) At least, that's how it works for me.

Feel free to friend me if you need some cheering on and support. This is easier to do when you have a support system ... at least it is for me!

You can do this -- you deserve to feel good about yourself!!
  • karenkwalker
    karenkwalker Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    So sorry you are feeling down! I know that walking for depression really helps even more than meds. I agree with the others to reach out to your support system. And then reframe your thoughts don't let whatever is going on in your life have all your power. You can choose how you want to respond. Be your own best friend and stay with your program, otherwise it's just a vicious cycle of falling off and then feeling bad and then feeling bad so falling off. You have everything you need to break this cycle - take back you hill! You can do it!
  • hilhall822
    hilhall822 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I agree with the ladies before me: whenever I get in a slump it's hard for me to get out of it BUT the best thing that works for me is just making myself go to the gym. Make myself cut up veggies instead of stopping for fast food- cook a nice meal and have fun music playing. Stay strong, you can do this!
  • dj_stevie_c
    dj_stevie_c Posts: 270
    Options
    I know exactly where you are coming from.

Around October last year I was really not 'into' it, then the lead up to Christmas was pretty hard.... the whole mess ended in Jan where I lost the job I'd been in for the past 4 years and I really just was well off the wagon by then.

The past few months have been hard, just haven't wanted to do anything, recently I got a new job, everything was great and I was lined up to start after a medical. I failed the medical (bad eyes) and lost the job before it started. The doc at the medical also gave me a scare "your blood pressure is high" which had me freaking out, I've since seen my doc since and everything is fine, it was just because I was nervous at the medical me and my doc also talked about my weight and we've come up with a bit of a plan.

I could have gone two ways after that, I could've just sunk into depression, but instead I raised my head up, turned the negative into a positive and decided I would kick myself into gear again. So far in the past week and a half I'm back on track, have walked miles and miles, joined a gym and really started things off, lost 3kg so far and I've on intention of stopping.

I keep saying every time I re-start "this time I'm sticking to it" but I'm making no promises this time, but I feel that I have my head screwed on straight. I'm taking every day as it comes and trying to make sure every decision I make is a sensible one.

Well, getting up at 8am to run a 5k for Wood Green Animal Shelter tomorrow so not sure how sensible that is :)

All you can do is your best.
  • moremari
    moremari Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Hang in there. Bad stuff is always out there. I also run to food for my choice mode of coping w/ life's Sh*$! Drag yourself outside or to the gym, call a friend, as another MFP member said, and just move. You're body and mind will thank you for it. Forget about what you've eaten focus on moving, walking, anything. Take the dog out and throw the ball.
    you'll be coming out of it before you know it!
    best wishes and check back in if you need more pep talks.
    ~Mari
    Hey everyone,

I've actually been feeling really down lately ... for almost two weeks now, due to a lot of things going on in my personal life.

As a result, I have been splurging on unhealthy foods. In fact, to the point I'm eating fast food once or twice a day, chocholate bars, and other crap for a whopping minimum of 2500+ calories a day if not more. I was doing a great job at first, and now I weight 148 lbs again. Plus, I havn't done any excersize whatsoever. I used to go to the gym and do home workouts.

I feel like I can't seem to get my self back into my 'healthy and active' mindframe again. I thought that maybe my fellow MFP members can offer a motivational boost for me to get back on track.

Thanks a million!
  • ♥Lexi♥
    ♥Lexi♥ Posts: 126
    Options
    Thank you everyone for you motivation and support!
    You have really made my day. I hope that I will be fllu on track starting tomorrow! Gym clothes it is! and the rest will fall in place.
  • Elise1931
    Elise1931 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I do the same thing sometimes while feeling stressed or frustrated, really in a bad mood. I take it as emotional eating so I think dealing with this kind of emotion or stress resources is the core to improve the problem. Try talking to someone such as your friends, us on MFP, or even a counselor about those stressful things or how you feel now. Although this may not let those annoying things disappear, you got to let them out. Here we are and you're def not alone :flowerforyou:

By the way, sleeping enough and doing workouts do help me a lot and out of the mood. Try keeping them up :smile:
  • ♥Lexi♥
    ♥Lexi♥ Posts: 126
    Options
    Thanks!:flowerforyou: